5 year old 5pt harness seat that is smaller width wise than a regent

mommyoftwoboys

I was trying to figure it out on my own, but i NEED help.
We bought an outlook and I'm, trying to free up the extra seat in the middle of the bench seat, but I'm not sure what seat would be the best for that purpose. I have a regent already in there, which between that and a recaro it leaves no room for someone to sit in the middle. (I'll have family riding in it with us and it would be nice to only have to take one car.)

I will end up passing the regent over to my husbands truck.

The recaro camo won't fit my oldest in it because of his height *well not for very long at least*

I refuse to go with a booster seat, it has to be harnessed.

Is the sunshine raidan pretty slim I've never seen one in person.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
The Radian is THE slimmest seat. I think I would see if a Nautilus would help any first, though. It harnesses higher then makes a booster.

mommyoftwoboys

I was just looking at the graco, only problem with it, it harnesses only to 65 then its the booster, and my son already weighs 45 pounds at this point.
everyone thinks im insane but I want him to hit the 80 pounds and then we'll see where we're at for a booster .

libranbutterfly

I dont know that he would actually make it to 80 lbs in the radian, The harness is not quite as tall as the graco. You need to try him out in the seats to see how much room he has in them. My daughter just moved to the top slots in the radian and has one more slot to go in the Nautilus. I think it will take him quite a while to gain anoher 20 lbs.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Even in the Regent most kids don't make it to 80 pounds. Along with the extra weight you're getting extra torso growth. The Regent has 20" top slots. The Nautilus has 18.5". The Radian, even the 80 pound version, has at best 18" top slots. So your son will outgrow either the 65 or 80 pound Radian before the 65 pound harness on the Nautilus.

Either way, a 45 pound five year old is NOT heavy, and if he's of an average torso he'll likely get to eight or so in the Nautilus. Piper is 6.5 and she just moved up to the top slots about a month ago, so she's got 1.5" of torso growth left. For her that's at least a year and a half. She may make it to 8.5 or 9 harnessed in the Nautilus. She'll never make it to 65 pounds in it, though. At this rate even at 9 years old she'd be about 50 pounds.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC