45lb 2 year old - need a seat asap

Keeks64

I just met a lady online through FB , who has her son riding in an AOE ( 40lb limit) and hes over 45lbs ( I asked her to weigh him asap) , she also has a Maestro but im assuming its outgrown since it only harnesses to 47lbs

She just told me she has zero funds to get him a new seat , and no means in the immediate future too - she doesnt drive often but her MIL does with the son in those seats , so I made sure to give strict orders she NOT allow her son to ride in either seat until weight has been confirmed for the Maestro - the AOE is done , hes outgrown it by weight , more than likely height ( cant use top slot) plus it has the recall she wasnt aware of

Now heres the other part - yeah theres more.....The dad ( ex I guess?) allows him to ride in a low back booster because hes outgrown all other seats :eek: .....I told her she needs to not allow the ex to take him until he gets him a proper seat , she needs to stand her ground and make sure her son is safe and hes clearly not in a NBB - she said she doesnt think that will fly because of their custody agreement , so I said if worse comes to worse and he tries to take the child , call the cops, they will see he does NOT have appropriate means of transportation for him and she can go from there

The ONLY seats I think that would even work are the Nauti & Frontiner correct? Is there a cheaper option at all anywhere? Im willing to fund some of this new seat just to get her son into one , but I cant afford much either and I have a few girlfriends with children in combinations , but they are either still using them or would want money , and probably not a fair price since they are well greedy to say the least :(

I dont know what other options I have and I feel terrible :( Shes so clueless and well , poor which doesnt help things :(

ADS

Keeks64

I thought True Fit but its going to be about the same cost as the Nautilus on sale ( $179ish) ....I wonder maybe though I could find a used True Fit or a smokin sale?....Hmmm Good Idea Thanks :D

Keeks64

Oh sorry , its in the title - hes almost 2 ( almost 3) she said , and over 45lbs , and just over 3 feet tall she said ( so about 37" or so im guessing)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You could get a generations 65 seat - Actually - the triumph 65 is only $149. 65lb weight limit and tall top harness height. That's what I'd get. She may not need the rf'ing mode or be able to use it as a booster, but for the money, it's going to give her highest harness height and a 65lb weight limit. It's also very spacious on the inside in terms of width if he's broad in the shoulders at all.

The triumph 65 goes on sale pretty regularly but I don't know when it will be again. The last time it was on for $99 and they flew out the door. Even at the regular price though it'll last a long time. I wouldn't bother with the frontier XT for him. At his weight and age, he'll hit the 65lbs long before he'd outgrow a nautilus by height so he doesn't need the extra height room of the frontier.

The Maestro has a 47lb weight limit in Canada. I'd use it up to that 47lbs though given the circumstances. It might only get her a few weeks, but it might get her a couple months to save money for the seat. In the meantime, in terms of the alpha omega, the child is safer in a backless booster than he is using the harness over the weight limit. And it's better than using the AO as a booster - at least he might have a decent seatbelt fit in the backless if they use the adjuster. (And ideally, they need to get him a highback booster pronto if they're going to use a booster with him, but obviously at his age a booster is far from ideal and if you guys can swing a way to keep him harnessed, you absolutely want to do that.)

It's unfortunate that we don't have any kind of seat program in Canada so that kids like this could be helped with a safe seat to ride in and not have to potentially move to a booster prematurely.

mam521

I think the Triumphs are even cheaper than that at WalMart. I walked by them earlier today and really didn't pay CLOSE attention, but I thought they were reasonable (maybe even $124)

Keeks64

Thanks Ladies :)

Shes going to contact the ex's mom and see if she will help fund a seat and explain to her ex about her sons safety in a NBB

I didnt think about the Evenflo , I didnt think it was that tall to last the boy much longer , but if it will even get him a few more months that would be a bonus

I am almost sure hes outgrown the Maestro , she said hes over 45lbs , so I would assume probably closer to 48lbs and even if hes teetering on like 45/46lbs I dont think she would consitantly weigh him before every car ride potenially leaving him to be over the weight limit and not notice

I REALLY didnt want to suggest using the AOE as a booster , I told her only in like a dire emergency would I consider using it since she has no other means of safe transportation for him but even then it makes me so leary but you are right in its the safest of a bunch of unsafe options

We REALLY do need a seat program in Canada , its horrible how many moms on FB talk daily about using expired seats , or boosters for their just turned 3 and 4 year olds :( almost all are low income with no sense of carseat safety other than whats cheapest is best at that moment :(

Im hoping and praying the MIL will just buy her a Nauti and then I can teach her and the ex and the MIL how to use it properly :)

selinajean

I don't have any other seat suggestions beyond what has been mentioned. I just wanted to comment on calling the police on the ex-husband. I don't know where this friend is, but depending on the province he could be within the legal guidelines for child restraints. Many provinces just have the 40 pound minimum for booster usage, with no age minimum attached. Here in BC, it would be legal for him to use a booster seat. :thumbsdown: While we know that it isn't the best option, calling the police would probably just strain the situation further.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks Ladies :)

Shes going to contact the ex's mom and see if she will help fund a seat and explain to her ex about her sons safety in a NBB

I didnt think about the Evenflo , I didnt think it was that tall to last the boy much longer , but if it will even get him a few more months that would be a bonus

I am almost sure hes outgrown the Maestro , she said hes over 45lbs , so I would assume probably closer to 48lbs and even if hes teetering on like 45/46lbs I dont think she would consitantly weigh him before every car ride potenially leaving him to be over the weight limit and not notice

I REALLY didnt want to suggest using the AOE as a booster , I told her only in like a dire emergency would I consider using it since she has no other means of safe transportation for him but even then it makes me so leary but you are right in its the safest of a bunch of unsafe options

We REALLY do need a seat program in Canada , its horrible how many moms on FB talk daily about using expired seats , or boosters for their just turned 3 and 4 year olds :( almost all are low income with no sense of carseat safety other than whats cheapest is best at that moment :(

Im hoping and praying the MIL will just buy her a Nauti and then I can teach her and the ex and the MIL how to use it properly :)

It would be near impossible for him to have outgrown the triumph 65 by height. My ds is using the top slots in the Nautilus and has outgrown the new generation Britax seats and many other seats but still has about an inch left in the EFTA. It's top harness slots are 17 to 17.25" and I'd have a hard time imagining a 2yr old to have that long of a torso... The generations tops out at about 16.25" or so.

I would get a $20 harmony booster at walmart and use it before using the AO as a booster. At least it has a good lapbelt fit and has a good adjuster for the shoulder belt. The AO is horrible in all regards. :thumbsdown:

Keeks64

It would be near impossible for him to have outgrown the triumph 65 by height. My ds is using the top slots in the Nautilus and has outgrown the new generation Britax seats and many other seats but still has about an inch left in the EFTA. It's top harness slots are 17 to 17.25" and I'd have a hard time imagining a 2yr old to have that long of a torso... The generations tops out at about 16.25" or so.

I would get a $20 harmony booster at walmart and use it before using the AO as a booster. At least it has a good lapbelt fit and has a good adjuster for the shoulder belt. The AO is horrible in all regards. :thumbsdown:

I have never paid attention to the Triumph before , not sure why? lol

I'll let her know it would be a good decently priced choice :) I might even try to fund one for her , we'll see how bills go for the end of this month

My 2.5 year old is 35" and his torso is 13.5" so yeah I dont expect her son to have a crazy long torso and not fit with top slots that high :)

I was thinking of suggesting the harmony but I just didnt want to give her an excuse to booster him and make it okay for her ex to think he can booster him

She said for now , she wont drive at all with him she'll just walk or take the bus if need be until she can figure out seats , and shes going to show her ex some crash test video's and hopefully drill it into him that its extremely unsafe , she said she told him once before and he said it was fine because he was a careful driver:rolleyes:

mommycat

hopefully drill it into him that its extremely unsafe , she said she told him once before and he said it was fine because he was a careful driver:rolleyes:
Have her explain to him that it is not about whether HE is a careful driver, but about what other drunk/sleepy/texting/etc driver in an unmaintained car on a slick road is out there. Also, as far as the backless, it is about the child's maturity (I cannot imagine a 2yo who would be able to resist moving about), the booster fit (he may be too short still to fit well) and about physical maturity (bone strength and hardness to not flex and to carry the load that is not as evenly distributed by the 3pt seat belt, the hip development to keep him from submarining despite his weight, etc.)

I agree that if the ex is totally resistant, getting him a Harmony backless or a HB TurboBooster would be an improvementm, though a harness would be ideal.

If she is looking at getting the Triumph65, make sure she doesn't get it confused with a Tribute or Titan. (EF sure likes to pick similar-sounding names for convertibles!)

Sears has one for $169.99.
TRU has one for $159.99 with free shipping.
I'm sure Walmart has a good price.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC