3y/o Disomfort in Chicco Nexfit R

Celeste

My niece is turning 3 in August. She is 36 inches tall and weighs 27lbs. She is RF in a Chicco Nextfit but for the past several weeks after a 15 minute ride, she complains about her legs and back being tingly and core and cries when it's time to get out of the car.

Her legs are either up high or swung over the sides most of the time so it seems understandable that this might happen.

Any advice for Extended RFing in this seat? They have a 3 hour drive to go on this weekend and my sister is torn on whether to turn her or not...

We have Radians so didn't experience this problem because of the lower profile sides I think.

ADS

Celeste

I have one and This seat is oddly shaped . Try changing the recline level . If that doesn't work I would change to a different seat .

Thanks..I am pretty sure a new seat isn't an option they are willing to consider...they will declare success on almost 3years of RF and move to FF before buying a new seat.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Changing the angle of recline is a good first start. I would also remove any extra padding that may be in there; sometimes the infant padding never gets removed and that's uncomfortable (unnecessary and, in Chicco's case, against the seat's instructions).

I'd also reinforce with your sister that your niece is close to age 3 and it's great that she's made it this long RF. It's OK to FF now.

If she turns your niece forward, don't forget that the harness should be moved so that it's at or above her shoulders and attach the top tether. The tether should be used whether the carseat is installed forward-facing with the lower LATCH connectors or the seat belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
One thing I've noticed with this seat- it is easy to have the straps set too low. If they aren't in the slot at or right below the shoulders it can contribute to discomfort.

lgenne

One thing worth noting: I've seen far more complaints about discomfort with FF Nextfits than RF Nextfits around here. If the suggestions above don't work, and turning FF doesn't work, all that leaves is a new seat. And we can help with suggestions there, too.

Celeste

Thanks Ladies! I passed on the suggestions - she is going to check the harness straps before they drive home tonight - my niece had a growth spurt this month and that could be a factor!

My own daughter turns 6 this summer and is phasing out of her Radian RXTs and they still have some harness time on them. She can use that as a plan B starting later in the summer at least!

lilti9er

I'd suggest looking into the recline. My RF DD is 4 yrs old and still sleeps in the car frequently so I have her recline at #1. She has a lot of legroom b/c of the recline as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC