Question 3 carseats in a car?

lilmommyof03

Someone please help, I need some advice!! I need to fit 3 car seats in the back of my 2005 Altima as I am due in 10 weeks with my 3rd child (our little surprise). I have a front facing seat, a booster and now I need a rear facing seat that just doesn't fit! I need like 6 more inches in my back seat! Any suggestions? Are the newer seats skinnier? Any advice is much appreciated!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome, and congrats!

It would help to know how old and heavy your kids are now, and what seats you already have. See if maybe we can work them into a new backseat, or if you'll need three new.

Are you hoping for an infant seat for the baby, or would going straight to a convertible work for you?

Wendy

lilmommyof03

Okay, my son is 20 mos old and 25lbs. He is in the evenflo elite triumph convertible car seat I believe (purchased in 2006). My daughter is 6 yrs old, 52lbs and in a graco turbo booster but we took the back off of it a few mos ago. I have a graco snugride seat for the new addition but it's also an 05 purchase (still in date, never in accident) but its big! I would prefer to have an infant carrier if possible as it makes it easier to bring a newborn places without disturbing them when sleeping. Thank you for your help!!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If it were me, first, I'd put the back back on the Turbobooster and make sure the screws are in the armrests.
Then, that Triumph will for sure need to go, it's HUGE!

Your Snugride expires December of the 6th year so if it's a 2005 seat, it expires in a few days.

A child should be Rear-facing until a minimum of age 2, preferrably until the weight/height limits of the seat so your 20mo child should be RF for a while yet.

Price? The Cosco Scenera 40lb RF seat is around $50-$60 at Target or BRU. If you want something a bit more padded, the Radian seats (they cost a lot more) or some of the Britax seats. The Evenflo Tribute is similar to the Scenera but only has a 35lb RF limit. You might be fine with a 35lb seat since your 2yo is only 25lbs.

Skinny infant seats: OnBoard35, ComfyCarryElite (get the Elite, with a front-adjust harness), Graco Snugride30 or 35, and the Baby Trend seats (although these require the handle to be rotated back when in the car which can be a pain).

I'd go to BRU and play with seats, they'll let you take them to your car to try before you buy.
And remember, even if you need 3 new seats, the car seats will still be cheaper than a new car.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd skip the Snugride 35 since the base flairs out. But the Snugride 30 has a narrow and rectangular base.

Your Evenflo will be expiring next year, and it's wide and short, so I agree with replacing it with something else rear facing for your 20 month old. http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

I'd also feel more comfortable with the back on the Turbo for your six year old. But more importantly, like the PP said, make sure you have the screws in the armrest. They're required. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=148603

A Scenera, Snugride 30, and Turbobooster should fit well in an Altima, I would think. I'd install all three with the seatbelt to give you more room, and I'd put the booster on the side that only has one buckle, so that way your daughter doesn't accidentally unbuckle the carseat next to her.

Wendy

rxmommy

If you decide to stick with a backless for your DD, a Harmony Literider is skinnier than a backless Turbo. And we have found it easier to buckle in a 3-across. We had an Altima for a rental car a couple of weeks ago but 2 of my kids are in boosters. Which to me is worse than kids in harnessed seats because they are tougher to buckle!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC