3 carseats in 2nd row of 2010 toyota highlander

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to fit three FF carseats in the 2nd row of a 2010 toyota highlander and what ones would work? The children are ages one and two. Will the split seat still go forward to allow entry into the 3rd seat? Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A one year old should be rear facing. They have not yet met the AAP's absolute bare minimum of two years old to forward facing. A two year old *can* forward face, but they're still much safer rear facing.

What is your budget for seats? How old and heavy is each child? How often do you use the third row?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

The two year old is already in a ff britax car seat due to size. I have two rf chico keyfit bucket type seats now and not sure they will all three fit in the second row. Im going to a semi annual consignment show that often has good deals on little used carseats. I was hoping to get some ideas about ff car seats before I go. I would like to use the third seat if possible but not sure that's going to happen.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most two year olds do fit rear facing, unless they're already 45 pounds. Their feet against the back is not reason to turn them forward, though a very common misconception.

Used seats are not a good idea. Do you know their history? Are they expired? Have they been in a crash? Has the harness been washed properly? Has it been checked as baggage on an airplane? Has it been affected by recalls, and if so, has it had the fix (or been destroyed)? These are lifesaving devices. Would you pick up a pacemaker at a consignment store and ask the surgeon to use it?

There are safe seats at every price point. If you let us know the sizes and weights of the kids, and whatever budget you have, we can help you. I'm sure we could find something probably as low as about $100 for two new seats.

Wendy

G

Granjam55

Thanks for your interest. The two younger ones are about 25 lbs. I'm thinking about getting two convertible seats for them to replace the Chicco buckets. I also have another grandchild coming in a few months. As far as budget I would like to find a good value but of course will spend whatever is necessary. The sale I referred to often has many car seats used by grandmothers like me who may only use them 3-4 times a month. I really do appreciate your passion for safety although it seems some assumptions made were incorrect. If I wasn't concerned about their safety I wouldn't be taking the time to research options. I think there may be some convertible ones that are narrower, just not sure because the grandkids so far tend to be pretty good size. Thanks again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I know you care about your grandchildren. As you said, you wouldn't be here if you didn't. I was simply assuming you didn't know the dangers of used seats. Used 3-4 times a month, or used daily, you don't know the history and know that these seats are safe, and will protect your grandchildren. That's simply the end of it. Used carseats are an unknown.

And it didn't sound like you knew of extended rear facing, since you asked for forward facing seats for one year olds (the recommendation since 2002 has been to rear face to the maximum limits of the convertible seat). http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

It's quite obvious to me that you care, and that you care a great deal. But as a professional carseat technician, I'm simply telling you the safe thing to do, and will give you safe options. That's my job, and this is what I do. If you didn't want safe options, you wouldn't be here. Used forward facing seats for one year olds are not safe options.

I'd look at Cosco Sceneras for the two youngers. They rear face to 35 or 40 pounds, and usually run about $40. They're also fairly narrow. The Cosco Apt is wider, but about $55. You'd probably be able to find a Diono Radian between two Apts, but that's about it (rear or forward facing, and it doesn't matter which one, they're all the same size so find the best deal you can). Otherwise, I'd look at an Evenflo Maestro if the two year old will also be forward facing. It's not super narrow, but fairly narrow, and about $70. These are all brand new prices, and they're perfectly safe.

When the newest grandchild arrives, will you be using an infant seat, or the convertible you get? The Apt and Scenera both do fit newborns, so you'd only need to recline it more for the baby, then just plop them in. You will need to keep track of harness height, as the straps need to be at or below rear facing (and at or above forward facing), but not so low that they fall off of the older child's shoulders. So if you're going to go from newborn to 18 month old in this seat often, a seat that doesn't need a rethreading of the harness would be easiest. Unfortunately, none of them are narrow. The Evenflo Triumph 65 is the favorite amongst grandparents and nannies who have multiple kids, but it's very wide. However, you never need to deal with the harness height. The First Years True Fit doesn't have rethread harness, but it fits newborns and older kids with a quick adjustment. And it's wide. The Britax Marathon, Pavilion, Boulevard, and Advocate are all non-rethreading harnesses. But again, wide.

Are you going to be taking the seats out often and reinstalling them when you have the grandkids with you, or will you just be leaving the seats in all the time? Either way it's a good idea to meet with a certified technician so you are taught the proper way of installing them, especially if you're doing a three across situation which can be tricky (you need to make sure each carseat is tight as if no other carseats are in the back, so it often requires a specific order and playing around to get right). But if you're going to be reinstalling often, seats that are easier to install would mean that there would be less chance of error every time you install (that's nothing against you, there's a little room for error every time anyone installs a seat).

Wendy

scoutingbear

Hi! I have an '05 Highlander. Slightly different body style but the newer ones are a little bit wider, so hopefully some of these suggestions will work for you. My 3 kids ride in a 3 across almost all the time and we often have the 3rd row up for friends as well. Once you install a seat in the middle, you will probably not be able to tumble the split for access to the third row. My kids have become really good monkeys to be able to climb in the back. If I happen to need to buckle someone in back there, I have to kneel in one of the seats in the middle row.

Anyway, some tips that I have found to be helpful when installing seats in my car. Put the largest seat on the split side. It helps with being able to get everything installed correctly. Install with seatbelt, not Latch. With the seatbelt you have more room to position the seats where they need to go and not be locked into just one spot within the seat, if that makes sense. You have been given good suggestions with using sceneras and a radian. The radian is one of the few seats that I would say is a "must have" to fit a 3 across, although I have done it with other seats.

Good luck! One of these days I'll get my hands on a newer Highlander just to play with!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC