3 Across in Small Car

NewEngland

I'm flying by myself with both kids to visit my sister in a couple of weeks. She drives a 2009 Corolla and has a 2 month old. So the backseat will be a Snugride 30 for her DD, and a Cocccoro that I'm bringing for my DD.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for DS. He's 4.5 and 40 lbs and about 42" tall. I'm currently thinking about a RideSafer travel vest for the trip. Does anyone have one and can comment? Does it sound reasonable? Or any other suggestions are also welcome.

For reference, I'm planning to carry-on only, so I'm stuck with baby in the Boba, suitcase, Coccoro, diaper bag, and purse with DS carrying his backpack with some small toys and a book or two. Any help in minimizing luggage would be appreciated ;)

ADS

creideamh

I think that's a great idea. I have a couple for my cousins, used them since age 3.5/4, and they work perfectly for travel and uncertain 3 across situations.

mairep

Instead of bringing the car seat with you, could your sister purchase an inexpensive one before you get there? I'm thinking the cosco scenera or Evenflo tribute are under $50, and it might be worth the money to not have to lug the seat through the airport. You could use a cares harness on the plane.

creideamh

I think she has 2 kids, ages 4.5 and 6mo according to siggie, so using a car seat for the 6mo is the only way to go (besides unsafe lap baby.) CARES is only for 1+ yo, and her 4.5 yo should be fine in just the seatbelt at that height & weight.

IMO an RSTV would be perfect for this. I bought one when DDs were in 1st grade so we could fit 3 across in a 1997 Honda Civic for carpooling - since it's barely wider than the child him/herself, it's pretty much a no-brainer that it'll fit 3 across - I could fit it between a pair of original Parkway HBBs. Really handy to have around for carpooling b/c it hardly takes up any space when not in use, and since it doesn't expire like conventional CRs you 'll be able to use it for DD later on down the line.

And no, I don't work for the company ;)

mairep

I think she has 2 kids, ages 4.5 and 6mo according to siggie, so using a car seat for the 6mo is the only way to go (besides unsafe lap baby.) CARES is only for 1+ yo, and her 4.5 yo should be fine in just the seatbelt at that height & weight.

Oh, I didn't realize the little one was quite so little! Yup, you gotta bring a seat with you.

NewEngland

Thanks for the reassurance that this plan will work. I'm glad to know that I won't have to lug the radian through the airport. And yes, the Coccoro is for the baby. She is finally sitting up now, but I don't think she's safe in just the airplane seatbelt quite yet :) And anyway, it fits RF and with the armrests down, so it's pretty much a no-brainer to take.

And thank you for the assumption that I actually purchased a seat for my baby. This is our third set of flights since she's been born (first time by myself with both kids, though), and I get tired of explaining to TSA and the airline personnel that she has her own ticket. On My last flight from LAX to PHL, I was twice informed that it was a full flight and I needed to gate check my seat. Explaining that she had her own ticket elicited some confused stares until I produced the boarding pass.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC