2Questions

LoveMyBoyOB

Okay question #1:

My daughter is 8months old, 19lbs and some odd inches. She's in a Peg Perego SIP30/30 (I know she's not 30inches long). So this seat has a non-rethread harness as many of you know. Right now it's at the highest setting possible which is about 1 inch (maybe more) below her shoulders. I know the harness needs to be below her shoulders but at what point is it TOO low? We have her RXT ready and waiting to be installed, so the next seat up isn't a problem. Just wondering when I should move her out. Would it be when she hits one of the limits?

Question #2:

My son is 3yo 32.4 lbs and 36 inches. He rfs is a Diono Radian RXT. it is currently installed with latch but with our van it needs to be installed with the seatbelt once he hits 38lbs. We drive a 2005 dodge caravan. Anyways I'm guessing my van has the locking seat belts (haven't looked fully into it Since we're a little away from switching) BUT I'm wondering if even though it has the locking seatbelts, can I use an H clip on it anyways? It would make me feel 1938596 times better. I have trouble trusting that it won't loosen.

Thanks ladies :)

ADS

CMeMeC

I would think she is fine until she reaches a limitation on the seat unless the manual states something about the harness being "too far" below. For my own personal comfort, I would move her to a convertible. I feel like once they are so low they might slip off their shoulders. However, I have no basis for this, it's just my personal discomfort. As for the locking clip (h clip) they can become a projectile in an accident should it break loose or so I've read. If the seatbelts lock, I wouldn't use it.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello!

You can move your daughter whenever you are ready. :) There is no safety benefit of the infant seat over the convertible. I would probably go ahead and move her since she is already 8 months old. She actually might like the bigger seat, with more room to stretch. :)

For your son, if you prefer to use the locking clip over the locking seatbelt, that's fine. There is probably a little higher rate of misuse with the locking clip, though, so just make sure it is being used correctly (it should be no more than 1 inch away from the belt plate).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
As for the locking clip (h clip) they can become a projectile in an accident should it break loose or so I've read. If the seatbelts lock, I wouldn't use it.

A properly-used locking clip should not do this. An improperly used clip might, but a properly used clip should not.

featherhead

The locking clip only holds the belt tight until a collision, and then the locking retractor will kick in. So if a locked belt holds your seat tight you aren't gaining anything by using the locking clip. It just holds the seat tight until the retractor kicks in. If the ELR (emergency locking retractor) is broken you need to use a belt shortening clip, which is like a heavy duty locking clip, though you install it differently. This completely takes the place of the ELR.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC