Question 2nd Vehicle-what seats?

cherrypie9377

We are getting a 2nd vehicle and need new seats for the kiddos for it. Our primary SUV has 2 Regents in it.

The kiddos are 5.5, 47lbs and 48" (3rd harness slot for the Regent) & 4.5, 32lbs, 38" (2nd harness slot for the Regent). She has all torso it seems b/c she has barely 1/2 left in the Scenera.

I dont want to spend more than 200 bucks total, so i've been looking into the Generations65 or maestro. WDYT?

We are getting a 02 Honda Civic 4dr.

thanks !

ADS
If there's a store near you that carries both seats, I'd recommend having your LO's test both of those out. there was a review of the Maestro on this thread and one thing to be aware of is that the harness slots are closer together than many other seats, so the harness straps are placed closer around the LO's neck (see pic #8 on the link above)

Also be aware that neither the Maestro nor the Generations makes a good booster, so you'd be looking at buying separate boosters when your LO's outgrow the harness (the Maestro doesn't adjust tall enough and the Generations places the lap belt too high up on the tummy as you can see in this review)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd go for the Maestro first as the top slots are significantly higher for the 4.5 year old. But with a 50 pound harness limit it wouldn't work for the 5.5 year old, and the booster doesn't go much higher than the harness.

If you could swing it I'd then get a Graco Nautilus for the older child. It has 18.5" top slots (the Maestro is 18") and a 65 pound harness limit.

Wendy

armywife12

Your 4.5 yr old has almost the exact same stats as my 28 month old. He has about 1/2 inch before being even with the top slots of the scenera. The maestro would be a great choice for your 4.5 yr old. The top slots are around 18 or so inches. Like pp said, it makes a poor booster. It only harnesses to 50 lbs so I'm not sure its the best seat for your 5 yr old. The apex 65 makes a great harnessed seat and a decent booster but it requires a headrest behind it. Its only about $89-$109 as well. Depending on the maturity level of your 5 yr old, you could look into a hbb.

cherrypie9377

from what im finding out, is that the only place that has the Maestro's in store are sears right now...is that true? i'm thinking thats going to be the best option for her, the 4.5 year old. We had an apex and the crotch buckle digs into my 5.5 year old and so we sold it my old neighbors.

are their any really good deals out there on a Nautilus? really wouldnt matter on the cover as long as its not a girl one. we might be able to swing like 130 for one.

whats a good recommendation on a HBB. i've been thinking about booster training him anyways.

cherrypie9377

What about these?

the first years compass folding booster seats. they have 3 different models available on amazon.com.

they are 60, 78 and 90 bucks.

there is 20 dollar difference in each model, but i really dont see a difference. thats probably because i havent used a booster yet nor i have ever seen these before.

how are they?

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's a very wide seat that doesn't go as high as some, but it is by no means a bad booster. It folds up so you can store it nicely when not in use. The differences in prices are either (since I can't see the pictures or model names) different models (B505/510, 515, 530, I can't remember the different numbers they use right now), or just different covers. People may pay more for a pink camo than just a white cover, kwim?

Wendy

cherrypie9377

thank you very much. i have to run it by my hubby tonight before i buy anything, but i do believe an evenflo maestro in rose and first years HBB in true blue will be on their way to our house very soon.

thanks again.

does anyone have this booster and pics of it in use? i searched and didnt see any. that would be great.

firemomof3

Here is my 45lb. 6y/o in the Compass booster. I would prefer the lap belt be farther down touching her thighs, I wouldn't recommend it because there are other boosters that will provide a better fit :twocents:
booster001.jpg

U

Unregistered

I recently bought the maestro at Sears, and we're happy with it so far. It's the carseat for the babysitter's car, and she finds it easy to use. I also like that it's lightweight, so if I do need to use it for air travel, or need to move it from car to car, it's easy to carry.

My 2.5 year old's stats are similar to your 4.5 year old's, and I agree that the scenera (which is currently our Grandma's car seat) will be outgrown soon!
Michelle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC