2012 Mini Van Confusion!

Denisse

We own a 2006 Grand caravan and love it! No major problems. The best thing, It's American made. The parts are cheaper to replace and easier to repair. Luckly my husband is mechanically inclined. Good luck!

ADS

elyrayday

After much debate and many hours visiting dealers, we decided on an Odyssey and just drove it home!

It really drives like nothing else. I liked the American cars at first, but they were very bouncy drives (like jeeps) and the seats were not on par with Honda's (especially that 8th seat, which I admit I am somewhat in ove with). Stow and Go is cool if you need it, but we did not see ourselves using it much. I was sad to give up the gadgetry at first. After pricing it out though, the dodge and chryler dealers were much less straight forward about what came standard on a crew (i swear the dealer website and their pamphlets etc are contradictory on this!). In the end, the best price of the car with the gadgets we were expecting was only 1000 less than the best price for the ody EX. I would pay 1000 for added safety (better cage, slightly better crash ratings, and an 8th second row seat for the car seat) any day. Sienna was ok, but that turned out to be the lowest on our list.

Now I just pray that the vehicle holds up and I need to land a good deal on an extended warranty.

Thank you for all the help.

elyrayday

Hope u love it!

Thanks! I hope so too. I mean, I love it now. I hope I can say that years from now. I will keep my fingers crossed that I landed a reliable one.

Thanks for the tip about bernardi. Already their auto response has much better prices than the dealer was offering me. Do you negotiate further with Bernardi? Do you mind if I ask what you consider a good/low price? We just spent so much on this car that it's a little scary. Would be nice to get a good deal on the warranty.

tl01

Thanks! I hope so too. I mean, I love it now. I hope I can say that years from now. I will keep my fingers crossed that I landed a reliable one.

Thanks for the tip about bernardi. Already their auto response has much better prices than the dealer was offering me. Do you negotiate further with Bernardi? Do you mind if I ask what you consider a good/low price? We just spent so much on this car that it's a little scary. Would be nice to get a good deal on the warranty.

I don't think they will negotiate any more. Everyone just pays that price. I paid way more bc I'm in Cali. But I had learned I could negotiate. The dealers were shocked when I told them how much I was willing to pay.

Also, I got the $0 deductible one... But both types entitle you to a rental when you take your car in and it has to stay overnight. It gets you $35 toward a rental car. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. Get the contract and read it carefully bc the service departments all have different ideas about what it is included.

elyrayday

I just wanted to pop back on here and say that we are LOVING this van. Even though we only have 1 little one, I am thrilled to be able to have him in the 8th seat. Plus this van makes changing his diaper and breastfeeding a breeze (not to mention FAR more private than before!). Will be exciting to fill this thing with babies (ok, only up to three, but still). But even for now with only 1 kid it is making our lives so much better. So much easier going shopping too. I really wrestled with whether a van was overkill at this stage (with only 1 kid), but it has been so much more convenient and is making life far more pleasant. :)

tl01

Glad you are enjoying it. We only have two kids but we love the extra space with the third row for long trips! Amazing how I can fill the car up with stuff for a one week road trip!

Post photos if you like of your van and car seat set up. We always enjoy seeing that stuff;).

The tranny thing is weird.

Ridgeline started with a 4 speed. That's what I had on my 07. Not sure what it is now. Odys have long had complaints about the tranny, but many other Hondas had transmission problems as well. I know Accords have had tranny issues since 2000 or even before.

Right now, forums are saying that the 6 speed on the Touring/Touring Elite is clearly bad. I haven't found as much about the 5 speed. It's mostly trolls blasting Honda as crap cuz their old (ie not 2011-2012) Honda whatever had some problem or another.

For what it's worth, Toyota has problems with its new "improved" and "simplified/lighter" 6 speed tranny that's on the (now older as well as current) Camry and who knows what else. Doesn't sound quite as bad as the Honda problems tho, but they exist too.

As for extended warranties, ONLY get the Honda Care one. Not Honda Easy Care, but simply Honda Care. Year and mileage is up to you, altho I always get the max w/ $0 deductible. Currently, max is 8 yr and 120,000 miles.

You can get them online. If you're out of Cali or FL, contact Curry, Saccucci, or Hyannis. Possibly Bernardi. Just google them. They're all Honda dealers that sell the extended warranties at cost. A couple get bonuses from Honda for selling so many so you can get it for $25 below cost. I know Saccucci sells them online. Curry might too. You just do the paperwork over e-mail or fax. I can't remember where I bought the extended warranty for my Ridgeline but it was some place on the east coast before Cali instituted some stupid law banning online out of state sales of extended warranties.

If you're in Cali or FL, good luck. I'm still trying to track down a place in Cali that sells it for cheap.

For what it's worth, I got the 8yr/120k for my Ridgeline for just under $1300. Apparently, that's what the cost is for the Ody as well right now. With the $25 bonus, some dealers sell it for like $1270. You have up to 6,000 miles from new to get it at that price (altho when I got it for the Ridgeline, they were telling me you had to get it before 1,000 miles so I'd get it as early as possible to be safe). They do ask for a picture of your odometer with the paperwork as proof. If you're out of CA and FL, don't pay more than $1300 for the highest one.

Don't buy any other one other than the official Honda Care one. I don't care what the dealer tells you. Not all dealers sell them, but all dealers are REQUIRED to honor it since it's from Honda itself (their franchise agreements require them too). Some dealers WILL lie about this stuff. They make more selling 3rd party ones but those always go bankrupt and deny everything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC