1996 Grand Caravan and Peg Perego

G

Grant

Hi,

We just inherited a 1996 Grand Caravan, and I'm finding it impossible to install our Peg Perego car seat.

Being an older vehicle, it has no anchors.

The latch plate of the shoulder belts are ever so slightly too wide to fit through the appropriate slots in the seat.

The latch plate of the one lap belt does fit, but this is in the middle of the back seat - and so provides no support - the seat would just fall over sideways.

Can anyone advise me how accommodate our seat in this vehicle?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You have a Peg convertible?

The lap belt in the third row center fits through? I'm confused by what no support means. If you tighten the lap belt appropriately, the seat is too loose?

Wendy

Cnidaria

I have personally found the Peg convertible to be very difficult to install with a seatbelt, and to end up with a very tippy even if technically acceptable installation. :(

Actually, I would think that a lap-only belt would work well, because you wouldn't have the shoulder belt part pulling on the seat.

G

Grant

Actually, I would think that a lap-only belt would work well, because you wouldn't have the shoulder belt part pulling on the seat.

We did try it - once. Even with the belt as tight as it would go, the seat still tipped on sharp corners when occupied.

We are willing to spend some money if we can convert the belts or something...

G

Grant

Any help is appreciated.

So when the seat is placed on the only lap belt - third row center - it is still too loose.

As I said, the latches on the shoulder belts are too wide - literally by as much as a couple of millimetres. It's possible I could force them through, but that seems unwise - especially as we use the same seat in another vehicle also.

We have a Primo Viaggio convertible, which we use rear facing.

featherhead

With the Peg I like to lie it on its back so I can see the bottom of the seat while I thread the belt through. The belt path is open on the bottom of the seat. I don't think you can access the belt path by lifting the cover.

featherhead

Do you pull the cover aside and pull the tail of the lap belt back through the belt path when you install it in the third row? Then check for movement only at the belt path?

And in the second row, if you turn the buckle slightly to try to fit it, does that work? Just work it on through a bit. Also with the cover up so you can see what you're doing.

Install a car seat like a pro: Inside / Outside Trick - YouTube

Wendy

Yeah, I just went out and checked my Peg, and this trick does not work with it. The belt path is closed on top, but open underneath the seat.

mom of six

I think the "twisting of the buckle stalk" trick needs to be introduced here.

I used to own a 1998 Caravan. It has a VERY LONG buckle and it sounds like the webbing in the latch plate is bending right at the edge of the car seat belt path preventing the locking mechanism in the latch plate from doing its job. You can twist the buckle portion of the belt a full three turns which will "shorten" the buckle. This may give you enough length so that the lap belt will successfully round the corner of the car seat belt path and stay tight.

I hope this makes sense.

Here is a thread that shows a Radian being installed in a Caravan. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939 The thing of value in this thread is the picture showing the twisting of the buckle end. The other tips don't really apply to your car seat.

Good luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC