$1,000 to become CPST certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
SafetyBeltSafe is the only organization I'm aware of in California that charges such a high fee.

Why? Because usually it's public agencies who sponsor the classes (typically police departments, health care agencies, etc.) Those agencies tend to have the necessary space to hold the class: meeting rooms and large parking lots.

SafetyBeltSafe is a non-profit without a facility. They need to PAY to rent space for a 5-day course. They also need to pay their instructors. They don't have a budget or a grant for this kind of thing like SafeKids coalitions or public agencies do.

SBS also offers a SCHOLARSHIP to people who can't afford the full $1000. It only knocks it down to $400 or $500, but it's something. In return, they ask you to work a certain number of events over the next two years.

I have worked with SBS in the past, and I personally know three of those four instructors. They are, without a doubt, the highest quality instructors and technicians you will find ANYWHERE. If I weren't already certified, I would happily pay $1,000 just for the privilege of being trained by THE BEST.

For the record, I was certified for $60 in the Inland Empire. There are inexpensive classes available in Southern California, but you have to look for them and wait for them. They're often only open to people who work for agencies, but you can sometimes get in if you call the instructor. SBS is by no means the only option in Southern California.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
SafetyBeltSafe is the only organization I'm aware of in California that charges such a high fee.

Why? Because usually it's public agencies who sponsor the classes (typically police departments, health care agencies, etc.) Those agencies tend to have the necessary space to hold the class: meeting rooms and large parking lots.

SafetyBeltSafe is a non-profit without a facility. They need to PAY to rent space for a 5-day course. They also need to pay their instructors. They don't have a budget or a grant for this kind of thing like SafeKids coalitions or public agencies do.

SBS also offers a SCHOLARSHIP to people who can't afford the full $1000. It only knocks it down to $400 or $500, but it's something. In return, they ask you to work a certain number of events over the next two years.

I have worked with SBS in the past, and I personally know three of those four instructors. They are, without a doubt, the highest quality instructors and technicians you will find ANYWHERE. If I weren't already certified, I would happily pay $1,000 just for the privilege of being trained by THE BEST.

For the record, I was certified for $60 in the Inland Empire. There are inexpensive classes available in Southern California, but you have to look for them and wait for them. They're often only open to people who work for agencies, but you can sometimes get in if you call the instructor. SBS is by no means the only option in Southern California.

And many state public safety departments will fund CPS courses, which is why so many of you only had to pay the Safe Kids fee for the course. There's a lot of money handling going on in the background that you'll never see unless you get involved in a governmental task force of some kind.

I'd like to reiterate what Jennie said: SBS USA *pays* their instructors (that's not to say other places don't, but, for instance, I've never been paid). They offer a 5-day class; most others offer only 3-4 day classes. And on and on.

While there are many good CPS courses throughout all states, I'm sure you get your money's worth from this course.

Every 6 months or so this topic pops up with a :eek:, so the OP doesn't need to feel alone. I think we'd do a better job explaining why this class exists than responding with reactionary :eek:.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They canceled it the year I was going to take it. Otherwise I would TOTALLY have taken it from them (local to me and so no added cost.) As it was we budgeted that $1000 for a trip down to San Diego including hotel stay, zoo for husband and kids, etc. and my class fees (and while not as high, I did pay a $100 additional fee to cover costs and such-- we all got LATCH manuals, for instance-- and they were able to get space donated by the PD that had an officer in our class-- he was the one who had convinced them to host it.) I was the only one in the class paying my own costs-- everyone else was sent from an agency or company or NPO that was paying their expenses.

Qarin

From an outside perspective, noone is attacking you.

... well, she was accused of slander and libel.

From my perspective, Maedze's, and to a lesser extent Chickabiddy's, responses were unnecessarily harsh and attacking. I'm sorry that the OP took them so hard as to abandon car-seat.org completely, and I hope she reconsiders, but I did see the responses as pretty direct, personal, and attack-like.

Maedze

The OP made absurd and vicious accusations towards an institution that we should be kissing the patootie of, whenever possible. Calling it libel and slander wasn't a personal attack; it meant the definition of what was said. When I clarified that it was not the thing she thought it was, she continued the personal attack. I think I was pretty measured, all things considered.

Maedze

And to add on, I feel really disheartned! i really thought that all of this CPST stuff was about helping people, educating parents, protecting children. This turns something that is about volunteering and teaching into just another profitable greedy, and money based business. Even if I have 1,000 dollars I wouldn't pay it. i just wanted to help people. I wanted to help protect babies. Not only would I DEFFINATELY go to seat checks, but, I also have lots of parent connections (MOPS, Pres. Women, Young mommy groups, and Insurance company connects). Thats alot of babies I could of helped. But, now its outta my reach. Way to go ladies, way to turn something possitive and good hearted into just another money game.
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
OP, I do understand your frustration, because there aren't a lot of options in Southern California. In fairness, there aren't a lot of options anywhere. Tech courses tend to be few and far between.

It's hard to get enough instructors together to run a class. These instructors are people with other jobs. One of the instructors for this particular class actually takes vacation time from her job in order to teach the class, and I suspect that's a relatively standard practice.

The vast majority of technicians are police officers, firefighters, nurses, etc. They can afford the classes (whether $75 or $1,000) because their employers pay for them to take the course. Most technicians never see a dime of profit off what they do, other than their standard salary. Their employers pay for them to get certified in order to provide a service to the public. Even technicians who do charge aren't getting rich off of it. They provide a service like anyone else and get compensated for their time.

It's not about money-grubbing. It's about the fact that there are real costs in running programs and classes. That's just the reality of it.

As I mentioned before, there ARE other options in Southern California. I don't know where you are, exactly, so I can't point you in a specific direction.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are 2 classes I've heard of coming up very soon, one in Ventura and one in Valencia (I think?) If we knew where you are we could help you find one that you might be more able to afford for sure.

Personally, I waited a year and a half to attend a class that was at a time and place I could manage when I also had a budget for it. And that wait is not unusual from what I've heard.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I apologize if I came across harsher than I intended.

I get being frustrated when you can't afford something you want, and I get questioning why some courses are $60 and why some are $1000.

I don't get assuming that it's due to money-grubbing or greed, and I don't get assuming courses should be free.

Auntie2Avi

Do you know how to go about getting a scholarship? I am not able to go to this course but there was one a few months ago that I was able to go to but was the same price. I emailed asking about scholarships and told there were not any available. I could find 4-500 for the course, but at this point I can't afford $950. If you have any advice about finding a scholarship I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't remember how they run the class, but I'm happy to find out. It may be a reverse scholarship in that you attend x number of events and the fee is forgiven.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In fact, I'll ask and start a new thread with all the details about the class since it's a common question.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
The OP made absurd and vicious accusations towards an institution that we should be kissing the patootie of, whenever possible. Calling it libel and slander wasn't a personal attack; it meant the definition of what was said. When I clarified that it was not the thing she thought it was, she continued the personal attack. I think I was pretty measured, all things considered.

There are polite ways to say things, and not-so-polite ways to say things. The not-so-polite ways drive people away and give them a negative attitude toward our forums and toward child passenger safety in general. That is not a victory in any meaningful sense. This thread is a good example. I think the point could have been made in a much nicer manner.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I don't think SHE is dollar-mongering. I think they are turning something possitive into something negative and not offering a second option for others especially in a bad economy. I am sure she has done alot. i don't doubt that. but, I think that by charging 15 people 1,000 for a 5 day class that offers no finacial gain for many if not all of those certified is ridiculious! And, I am sure it was not the INSTRUCTORS choice to do so. I think it was probably a group of multiple people who chose the price. Not specifically her. I still think that it goes to show that in reality all of this stuff is still all about money. I do work for TONS of organizations. And never once have I been charged over 250 for learning, donating, or member fees. When there are so many uneducated people in the world. I don't understant why anyone would discourage people from learning more. However, don't get me wrong. I don't think she specifically had the idea of charging a massive amount of money. I think a group of people got together and tried to find a way to make a profit off of something that should be free.

A 1-week course costs a lot of money. As mentioned, there are fees to rent a meeting facility. Fees to pay the instructors. Fees for supplies and materials. Fees for insurance. Fees for food (if provided). Fees for certification. Someone pays this. If not the participant, then it's a grant from an organization, state department of transportation or local police/fire/hospital. Sometimes someone may donate a room. Some instructors may volunteer. A local auto dealer or baby store may subsidize costs in return for having the end-of-class event at their location. The number of students per instructor and quality of instructors also vary. That is why there is such a large range of costs from one event to another. At the very least, with a non-profit organization hosting the class, you do know that any surplus money is going toward a good cause. Many classes end up costing the organization money, so assuming they are making a buck isn't always a good assumption.

Anyway, there is always a choice involved. You can always find another class, even if it is a bit farther away. There are also shorter classes for educating parents and caregivers with the essentials and not the extra material for those who want to become technicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC