What's the highest weight allowed RFing in CAN now?

seamonkeys

Sorry, I don't have time to do a search and don't want to forget to ask tomorrow.

A friend on another board mentioned that her seat goes to 35 lbs RFing. Have they bumped it up to that in CAN? I don't usually pay attention to the CAN limits, sorry.

TIA!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I believe the Complete Air, when it gets there, will actually be 40 in Canada. (Is it there yet???)

There are now several seats (Dorel seats manufactured after a certain date, the Radian XT, I think a few others-- ETA after a certain date, maybe? And the True Fit) that go to 35 in Canada.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The highest limit RF in Canada is 65lbs. ;) Unfortunately, no seats currently on the market take advantage of that limit. :thumbsdown:

seamonkeys

I believe the Complete Air, when it gets there, will actually be 40 in Canada. (Is it there yet???)

There are now several seats (Dorel seats manufactured after a certain date, the Radian XT, I think a few others-- ETA after a certain date, maybe? And the True Fit) that go to 35 in Canada.

Do the Britax seats go to 35 lbs in CAN too?

ETA: Have you tried ketchup chips?? :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

The Complete Air has been in store for close to a month now. I can't speak for stores across Canada, but we are selling a lot of them - can't keep them in stock. It has a 40lb rf'ing limit.

Most (but not all,) Dorel seats made after Dec 23/08 have a 35lb rf'ing limit. The radian XT, and the True Fit also go to 35lbs rf'ing, as do the Britax RA 50 and Advocate.

Interesting, I just checked on the Britax Canadian page and it says only 30 lbs.

The Roundabout50 and Advocate by Britax go to 35lbs RF.

Yep, with the exception of the RA 50 and the Advocate which both have 35lb rf'ing limit, all the other Britax seats only go to 30lbs rf'ing. Last word from Britax was that they have no intention of raising the rf'ing limits on those seats, but who knows what public pressure may do...

The My Ride is expected to be released in Canada with a 40lb rf'ing limit, but they aren't finished testing yet.

Word also has it that the Radian XT will be released in the fall with a 40lb rf'ing limit - though it will NOT be retroactive the way that the US seats have been.

As for the allowed limit, as Unity said, the only limit imposed by CMVSS 213 standards is 65lbs. Currently the highest rf'ing weight limit we have is 40lbs. Should a manufacturer be able to design a seat that passed standards at a higher weight, then it would be able to be sold in Canada. At the present time, no manufacturer has chosen to do that.

seamonkeys

The Roundabout50 and Advocate by Britax go to 35lbs RF.

And yes, ketchup chips are pretty good! But only the Old Dutch kind (does any other company make them!?)

I think Lays. I just heard about them and was wondering if ketchupqueen liked them, since, well they have ketchup in them! :whistle:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Complete Air has been in store for close to a month now. I can't speak for stores across Canada, but we are selling a lot of them - can't keep them in stock.

According to the news today, it's selling well across the country. :thumbsup:

And yes, ketchup chips are pretty good! But only the Old Dutch kind (does any other company make them!?)

Yes, Lays does make a version as well as Humpty Dumpty. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've had Lays ketchup chips. They're okay, but not as good as the real thing (Lays dipped in Heinz ketchup as a dip.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's true-- the legal harness limit in Canada is 65 lbs. by law, regardless of rear- or forward-facing direction of the seat (has something to do with the definition of a "child" in the regs, I believe), but no companies currently have a 65 lb. rear-facing seat on the Canadian market, though they legally could.

snowbird25ca

According to the news today, it's selling well across the country. :thumbsup:

That doesn't surprise me. I think just in our store alone we've sold 24 or so as of the last time I worked - and that's with them being available only for 3.5 wks and being out of stock for pretty much 1 full week of that time if not longer. All the stores in the city here sold out of both colors within 10 days of arrival.

Maybe incentive for Graco to get the My Ride here faster. :whistle:

Though I think part of the Complete Air popularity is the fact that it's Canadian developed technology, and the amount of advertising Dorel did pre-release. We had people looking to buy the seat before they'd even been shipped to stores.

I looked online last night and one color isn't available for order online right now which I'm guessing means it's out of stock in the warehouse already. I think nobody anticipated just how popular the seat would be... but hey, I think Dorel has it's production method and distribution down well enough that they'll be able to get lots more seats shipped soon. :p

U

Unregistered

Just a heads up that at the ABC show in Vegas, Sunshine Kids was showing their new 2010 models and they will go to 45lbs rear facing. Should be on the market in a month or so.

QuassEE

I almost deleted that as US content... We're not sure to expect the 45lb RF weight limit here in Canada, although it has been "confirmed" in the US.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC