What vehicle for 7 kids in carseats?

kdkm

A friend of mine has 5 children, 5 and younger. She is currently in the process of gaining custody of her 7 year old twin niece and nephew. She has a 5 year old, a three year old, two 2 year olds, and a 10 month old (the younger 4 all rear facing still!) Her current seats are 3 TFs and 2 CAs. What vehicle would you suggest they invest in? Also which car seats should they get for the twins? They are small, both around 50 lbs (and they obviously have many kids to pass the seats down to!).

Thanks!

ADS

swtgi1982

If they are looking for something inexpensive, I would opt for the nautilus for the seven yr olds, and then look into a large van i know they make 15 passengers, but i thought there was something in between, so that would be my choice.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Physically and developmentally typical 50# 7yos are usually fine in highbacked boosters -- but if seating is tight, harnessed seats are usually easier because once they're in, they're in, and nobody has to try to wedge their hand between seats to buckle.

Maedze

I wouldn't spend money harnessing seven year olds unless there was a profound reason to do it.

What about one of those Sprinter dealies? It seats 12. That way she wouldn't have to worry too much about three acrosses...spread the seats out as necessary. I would even be comfortable putting the seven year olds in backless boosters to accomodate the large number of kids riding back there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, I'd want a Sprinter. Much more stable and easy to fit seats in than a 12 passenger van, and headrests and shoulder belts for all positions. Tether anchors too now, I think.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Judi, your dogs and your baby dolls could ALL ride in style in a Sprinter!

Or, you could just go on a road trip collecting c-s.orgers and our kids (and seats) along the way. Like bingo. "Okay, I have a Regent, a Coccorro, and a Boulevard... If I hit L.A. I can pick up Anne's kids and score a Complete Air, a SafeGuard, and a RSTV, and on the way over to Texas, I'll swing down to pick up a Two Way Elite on the way... BINGO!"

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
:ROTFLMAO: Car seat Bingo! Yes!!!!

Oh, and the dogs would have the seats, the babies live in a bag, or two...

zeo2ski

Yep, I'd want a Sprinter. Much more stable and easy to fit seats in than a 12 passenger van, and headrests and shoulder belts for all positions. Tether anchors too now, I think.

Whoa whoa back up--"Much more stable"--let's talk about that please! Aside from the headrests and l/s belts, is the sprinter safer than other big vans? I :love: me a sprinter when the time comes but the word "van" scares me (safety wise). Whenever I look for the crash ratings the big vans are excluded; anyone know where I can find their ratings?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My understanding is that it's built on a bus chassis rather than a van chassis-- it's not nearly the rollover risk as the other vans (at least that is what I was told.)

zeo2ski

Oh my goodness that's so great to hear. I mean reeeaally great! Thank you thank you. Do you remember where you heard that? Or does anyone know where I could find out for sure?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC