I helped someone today...

zactayaus

and she was very receptive!

We were at dd's soccer practice tonight and there was a mom there that I haven't seen since last year. She had a baby girl that was 7 months old (I didn't even know she was pg:eek:). Any way the baby was in a rear adjust SR (super loose straps and a belly clip) snapped into a stroller. She was a big girl so I asked mom how much she weighed. She said she was 22lbs. I said wow that is pretty big. I then said I'm pretty sure her seat only goes up to 22lbs (I don't have SR so I hope I was right). She said oh I thought maybe I needed to get her a new seat. I told her she needed to make sure the straps were nice and snug against her and that the clip was called a chest clip and it needed to go across her chest not down by her belly. She was greatful and fixed it right then and there.:thumbsup:

I then proceeded to tell her about how the AAP now recommends kids to RF till at least 2yo but a lot of people RF to the limits of their seats and explained internal decapitation to her. She wanted to now what seat she should get next. I recommended the MR because it RF to 40lbs, we have them at our local target, and I know they don't have alot of money to fork out on a car seat. I did tell her that there were many other convertable seats available if she didn't like that one.

She actually wrote down everything I said.:D She said she didn't want to get home and forget what she was supposed to be looking for.:p

I'm so happy I could help someone I wanted to share.:)

ADS

momto2princes

Awesome! I am glad that she really seemed to be concerned. I hope the next time you see her she has that new seat and you can talk to her again!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Good job! Just a few things: yes, the SR only goes to 22 lbs.; and the AAP recommends RF to the limits of the seat. It's some "safety experts" that prefer to at least 2 (and at least 3 is some's preference, or at least 4. It all depends on who you talk to!)

Jonah Baby

That's excellent!

Got a receptive parent off of Freecycle the other day. She was asking for a seat for her foster child, that they hope to adopt. Just told her to be cautious about used seats and why. She emailed back saying "thank you so much, had no idea, I think we will buy her a new one," etc.
I offered a bunch of help to get them a good seat and referred her to carseat.org, of course.

Are parents finally starting to get it? Or are we getting better at approaching the issue?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC