in the market for an infant seat

cmommyof2

CPS Technician
SS1
Keyfit 30
Chaparone

I am having trouble deciding on a seat. Size of the seat and price isn't an issue. My girls didn't fit in the snug rides when they were born. Both were early and 6lb 5 oz and 5lb 15 oz. 20.5 inchs long. I know the key fit fits small babies well. I am not sure about the SS1 so if someone could help me out on slot heights on that one. I really like the chaparones rebound bar but not a fan of the cover choices. Not that is really matters but it would be nice to have an option I like. Other recommendations are welcome;) Any info to sway me towards a seat would be great too. thanks so much.

ADS

cookie123

Check out the Safety First On Board. It's 4 - 35 lbs, fits preemies and isn't terribly expensive. The Keyfit is nice for littler ones, too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd go either for the Snugride 32 (formerly the SS1) or a Keyfit. Both fit small babies well, both are cheaper than the Chaperone, and both will last longer. Both of those seats install much easier than the Chaperone.

I know you said you don't care about cost or longevity, but between the cost, longevity, and ease of installation I'd go for either the Keyfit or Snugride 32.

Wendy

DahliaRW

My 7lb 20" (first small baby I've had) dd BARELY fit in the SS1 at birth. Barely was tall enough. I wished at that time that I had gone with the KF30. But, now that she's grown a bit I LOVE the SS1/SR32.

AmandaR

My DD was 8lb 8oz and 21 inches at birth and she was swallowed by our SS1. It didn't come with any padding either, so we couldn't use any. I would definitely say get the Keyfit 30. Before we decided to skip the infant seat for our son on the way, we had decided on the Keyfit 30. It's very easy to install (IMO) and has a lot of padding to accomodate smaller babies.

LRutt

We have the Keyfit and LOVE it! I know a bunch of others who have it and love it too...including a friend who had a preemie who was only 4 lb. when he came home from the hospital. At 10 1/2 months, we are still using it for my son, who is now 19 lb. 8 oz. and 28 in. We love it, and so does he. Super comfy seat for him, super easy to install and use.

Not a tech or anything, just a first time Mommy.

Maedze

The SafeSeat 1 (now the Snugride 32) was NOT a good fit on my 19.5" newborn. Actually, it was awful.

I'd look at the Keyfit or the Onboard, but would shy away from the SR32 for smaller newborns.

BekahD

I've had two teeny 5.5lb babies and I narrowed it down to the keyfit and Chaperone. In the end I went with the Chaperone because I liked the style of low birth weight insert, the head wings and I liked the fabric on the Chaperone even though I wasn't in love with the colors. That is just personal preference for features though. I don't feel like there were any huge safety benefits over the keyfit or that the they were very different in the way of fit. I guess I am saying I wouldn't buy the Chaperone OVER the keyfit if you are looking at just safety and fit. They seemed equal to me in that respect. It just comes down to design and what you like or don't like. I looked at the SafetyFirst seat that was mentioned for a friend whose had two small babies and that was a nice seat too. I have no doubt it would have fit my two little ones at birth.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Chaperone would probably fit the baby, but is so big (the base) it is a marginal fit in some cars. Combined with the the high price tag, I'd choose the Keyfit (really, I'd choose this, easiest install ever) or the OnBoard or, if you like the anti-rebound bar, the Combi Shuttle. I would not choose the SnugRide 32, from what I have seen it fits newborns about the same or a little worse than the SnugRide 22.

JerseyGirl'sMama

What vehicle(s) will you be installing this in? The Chaperone is really quite long and I couldn't get it installed in my MDX with 80% of the base on the seat. By my estimation, it hung off the seat by 30%. Can you try installing both to see what you like better in your vehicle?

I :love: the Keyfit all around.

cmommyof2

CPS Technician
I bought a key fit :) I have a suburban and will be installed in the same row and a rear facing marathon and a regent. If I can get a good install it will likely go in the center. thanks for the help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC