CARES Harness Users - Height Question

mommycat

Can those of you who have used the Cares harness for bigger kids give me a review? How did the harness fit and what approx torso height was your child?

I just realized that the max limit is 40" (how did I miss that before?!) and while I am ok using it past the limit as long as he still fits, how exactly do I know if he still fits? I would be looking at having the shoulder straps start *at* his shoulders and run down to a low-snugged lap belt, right? So if I put him in it and can't snug the belt down because the shoulder straps are pulling it up on his belly, I need to let him just use the lap belt only, yes?

We are flying in about a month and I didn't even think of this! And I won't be bringing a carseat for him because we are flying LOT Polish airlines and I think it is very unlikely that they will let me use a seat for him (he is over 4yo). And I do NOT want to check my seats, so DS2 will ride in DS1's seat and then go into an EU seat on destination.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have no experience, just a comment that I've thought for a while that they ought to add a crotch strap. It could come down behind the child, from the part that goes around the seat, and then wrap under and attach like the anti-submarine clip on the PWSG.

mommycat

I was almost thinking this as well - I haver to admit that I was thinking that kids could still slide under the belt if determined and that was it was too bad there wasn't a crotch strap, but I didn't go so far as to think they should ADD one... :eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I hear enough complaints about the lap belt riding high on small users that it seems like a good idea to me. It's not like it would be that difficult, or bulk it up substantially.

wondering1

Excellent news:

"Special Needs" Breakthrough

Early-on CARES was discovered by the parents of kids with special needs. If the child was in the 22-44 lb weight range for which CARES is certified, and if the child's health provider/physical therapist agreed it provided sufficient support, CARES was often a solution to making travel much easier for these families. It meant they no longer had to make arrangements in advance to bring a special brace on board and deal with complicated installation.
Then families asked us what we could do for special needs kids who were over 44 lbs. We spoke to the FAA about how to accommodate these youngsters, and after intense review of the way in which airplane seats perform in turbulence and abrupt landings, the FAA recently approved the use of CARES for a young girl with cerebral palsy who weighed over 70 lbs and was 4 ft 11 inches tall , on condition that she be in a seat with no one sitting behind her who might need to brace against her seat back.

Simply translated, this means sitting in front of the bulkhead of any section of an airplane - most typically, sitting in the back row of the aircraft. The FAA provided an "exemption letter" to the family, exempting her from the regular height-weight restrictions associated with the CARES child restraint, which they may use going forward on any US certified airline any time they fly. For more details, contact me: Louise@kidsflysafe.com

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC