reccomedation for travel with a 4 yr old- low back booster vs rider safe vest

slklady

Hi,
I am traveling with my infant and 4 year old abroad. my infant is in her snugride and fine but we need an option for our 4 yr old. she is 39 inchess tall but only 31.5 lbs. We will be taking a few cabs and need something portable to keep her safe in a car ride. Portable meaning can fit into snap n go basket :) We will not be needing a stroller for her so we don't want to lug the sit n stroll everywhere. Any suggestions? The dakota booster by combi says 30lbs backless as well as the cosco one or do we shell out for a vest? Whatever we get will be put away after the trip n she goes back into the marathon- I promise:) According to the airline she does not need a car seat on the plane anymore.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She probably does need a seat on the plane (Piper didn't fit into the belt at 31 pounds), but if you're traveling on an international carrier they won't let a four year old have one, so it's moot. If you're on an American carrier it's up to you.

The vest starts at 35 pounds, and Piper got it at 38 and I needed to tighten it all the way and it was still a hair loose on her. So on a 31 pounder it would be very loose. It's not an option for you.

A backless booster for occasional cab rides is an option, though far from ideal. But yes, she fits in the weight and age for those boosters. I carried one around NYC for Piper to use in some cabs when she was 5.5. It worked ok for the short rides we had now and then. I wouldn't have wanted to do anything longer, though. The fit on her was horrid.

Tough situation. What about the Safeguard Go? Will you have tethers available?

Wendy

Erika Ruth

The vest probably wont fit her. depending on her build. My 5 year old (almost 6) is a skinny thing 40lbs, and she can hardly fit in the small (I have to tighten it down all the way). She is tall, so I thought about getting the larger one, but I am glad I didn't.

I do however, love the vest.

DahliaRW

At that weight I'd worry about submarining under the seatbelt in a booster or on the plane. The flight attendent on a flight I took a couple of months ago said they don't like to see kids in lap belts only until 40lbs for that reason.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Radian isn't so bad to carry around if you put the straps on backpack style and wear it, though I wouldn't want to do it for more than about 3 hours. And it takes some practice to install in various cars without much difficulty-- you have to learn all the tricks.

The GO is a pain if you don't have lower anchors as well as a tether, and tether is required, which might not be available in cabs abroad.

The Ride Safer Travel Vest starts at 35 lbs. (and often barely fits at that weight.)

Gee, there are problems with all these options, aren't there?

If you'll have a stroller or something to walk around with, I might consider the Radian the lesser of the evils, since you could fold it and put it in the bottom. You'd just have to get as much practice installing it as you could before you went.

Or, if you can sit right next to her, I suppose you could ensure she uses the booster properly (if she's better behaved than mine is. ;) ) It might be a pain, though, especially if there was a lap-only belt in the center and you ended up having to put the baby there, so she ended up between you and the child you had to control in the booster. But it would be better than nothing.

For that matter, so might a Tote 'N Go, but they are a huuuuge pain to install correctly.

Splash

To where are you traveling? Do you know anyone there? There is a great seat that is no longer sold in the US but still sold in many European countries (Roemer Vario) that might work perfect for you if there is someone who could bring it to you at the airport.

Owing to needing a tether at all times, the GO is pretty much out. Radian is too dang huge. The vest... I'd say that's probably your best option but it plain might not fit her. Order it from somewhere and give it a shot, it might work.

Otherwise, try and find a Compass folding booster. She's well within the limits on that one, and will take up the same space as a backless.

at 31.5 lbs., I'd even consider a CarGo even though it's too bulky to fit in a stroller basket, it's lighter than a Radian. But then, I've never tried to fly internationally with 2 kids so this could be a totally impractical suggestion

slklady

thanks all. i am travelling on an international carrier - el al and while i am unsure of their specific requirements i know cathay did not allow us to use the car seat for my 4 year old (then 3.5) so i am assuming it is the same thing. she sits pretty well in the plane/car. i have no clue about tethers the cars in israel are usually some random european brand i have never heard of or a i think bmw cab? we may be renting a mazda 6 if thath helps...
i think a backless booster may be the best option and i will just have to hide it when i get home :)

disbugsmomma

Honestly, I would not put a 4yo in a backless booster. Like someone else said the Compass folding booster would be ok, but those tend to be pretty wide. I would probably go with a high back turbo booster. The back is removable and can be put in your luggage and the bottom can be stowed in the overhead or under the seat on the plane. Then you could use it as a backup seat when you return home.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Another one in agreement that a backless booster is not a very good choice, especially the Datota, since it's a very wide booster well-suited for big kids. OP, I'm sorry, but I think you may have to deal with a HBB or harnessed seat.

slklady

hi,
just to keep posted i decided to get a compass folding booster ann my mom is buying off me at the end of the trip to use as a spare in her car. we also decided to rent a car and forgo cabs... :)

Maedze

hi,
just to keep posted i decided to get a compass folding booster ann my mom is buying off me at the end of the trip to use as a spare in her car. we also decided to rent a car and forgo cabs... :)

The compass booster, while a clever idea, is just not a good fit for little children. It would have been mentioned otherwise ;)

The lap belt guide is very poorly placed, meaning that the lap belt rides too high and could cause a serious injury...or worse...in an accident.

I do think the Ride Safer Travel Vest is your best option:thumbsup:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I do think the Ride Safer Travel Vest is your best option:thumbsup:

I do too, even though she is a few pounds to small for it. If she isn't willing to install and carry a light traditional seat like a Scenera, then the small RSTV is her best option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC