Question Convertible for Hyundai Accent ?

Secshunate

My situation is confusing the heck out of me and I need some advice on several questions.

First the background. My baby boy is 16-WEEKS old and approaching 18lbs (Big boy like his dad)

We currently using a Eddie Bauer Endeavour Travel System. We HATE the stroller and are going to ditch it and get a BOB Revolution. Also since the infant seat only goes a few more pounds, we may as well ditch it too and get a convertible or combination.

The concern is that our RF infant seat already compromises the passenger seat of our 07 4dr Hyundai Accent to the point where it is uncomfortable for me (6'4" 300lb) to sit in it for longer than a trip to the store. Even in my Jeep Cherokee the RF Eddie Bauer takes up all the room and some.

I know that our baby is far too young for FF. So a bigger RF seat is going to be impossible in our car isn't it?
Also we read that the Britax is a very good seat. Are there others that are just as safe?

:confused: HELP :confused:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You're in Canada? That would make a difference in the seats we recommend, as some US seats are not available in Canada yet.

Has he got head control? If so he can go more upright. Often convertible seats take up less room front to back than infant seats.

Can you put him behind the other seat if that adult is shorter?

A combination seat is a forward facing only seat that has a harness that gets removed and it turns into a booster. You're about three years minus 16 weeks away from being ok with one of those. So no combination seats. You need a convertible.

In Canada I'd look at the True Fit first. It has a 35 pound rear facing limit and a 65 pound forward limit with 17.5" top slots. It has a removable headrest to 22 pounds (or head within 1" of the top of the short shell) which makes it great for tiny cars. At 22 pounds, which will probably be within a month for you you put on the headrest and you can put it more upright then. Then it's the tallest shell out there for maximum rear facing time (rear face to 35 pounds or 1" from the top of the tall shell), plus a long lasting forward facing seat.

I'd also look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance. Same 17.5" top slots with a tall shell, but only a 50 pound limit forward facing. If you're expecting a big kid then it's a gamble when he'll hit 50 pounds.

Britax is good, definitely, but not the be all and end all they used to be. If you get one definitely get one of the bigger models, either the Marathon or Boulevard. Don't spend the money on a Roundabout or Diplomat as your son will outgrow them rear facing too early and forward facing probably by 3.5. Then you'll need another harnessed seat. And they're expensive for short term seats. Great seats, just overpriced.

HTH

Wendy

April

I also think the True Fit is probably your best bet. Lots of interior space for a bigger baby, fairly easy to use, and will last the longest without making your front seat completely unusable. Oh, and don't even conside the Radian. Its a great seat, but not in your situation. I had one rear facing in an 01 Accent and I couldn't even sit in the passenger seat in front of it. For reference I'm 5"4 and 135lbs.

Secshunate

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes I'm in Canada. My boy has had full head control for at least 6-weeks. (tough guy)

I read your recommendations for those two seats in another post right after I posted this, I have looked at them on the Toys'R'us website. They look nice enough.

Do they have the good protective foam that the Britax's do?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes. Few seats don't. I believe the True Fit even has more than the Britax seats. Not the final say in carseat safety (they all must pass CMVSS213 in order to be on the shelves, and that doesn't cover EPP/EPS foam in the least) but it's definitely a nice perk.

Wendy

Secshunate

One thing that scares me off the True Fit is all the reviews on Toys'R'us about how it doesn't fit in cars RF without towels under it and then it hits the front seats, and the nightmares of frustration people have with getting it tight RF.

I guess we should just buy one to test it and return if necessary. Kind of tough though withe the nearest store an hours drive away :whistle:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Reviews here or on TRU's site? Here is one thing. We know what we're talking about. But when you read reviews on carseats on Target, or amazon, or BRU's sites and you read about how someone loved the LATCH installation in their 1999 Buick (no LATCH, so what are they attaching to?) or how someone loves a backless booster for their two year old you quickly stop reading the reviews.

Here, though, we know what's going on. LOL Some sloped backseats need towels or a noodle to get a 45 degree angle for a baby rear facing. However, at 16 weeks with head control your son doesn't need a 45 degree angle, so he probably doesn't need a towel. Unless your seats are very sloped, in which case a towel would be needed just to get him to something comfortable.

I've seen the True Fit in some tiny cars rear facing. Mitsubishi Galant I think was the smallest. The mom returned the Britaxes she had bought because the True Fits fit better. One with a headrest and upright for her two year old, one without and reclined for her newborn.

What stores do you have available to you? Some let you take seats out to your car and try them out right there in the store. Also, we have many technicians here in the Vancouver area and in BC in general. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135 Maybe one of them can help meet with you and see what will work for you in your car with your requirements.

Wendy

Secshunate

Thanks so much for your help. I'm in Duncan so, there is nothing in town. I basically shop in either Victoria or Nanaimo and only trust Sears, HBC and Toys'r'Us for my baby gear.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Time for a shopping trip up or down island?

My family is from Duncan (dad's side).. three generations, in fact--it used to be that everyone in Duncan knew one another.. my cousins and aunt/uncle are still there. There is actually a carseat tech in Duncan, too!

-Nicole.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
OP- What about the Radian XT in the center. I have put a Radian in the center of the same car (my BFFs car) and we were able to push the driverand passanger all the way back. I also had a Marathon RF in the middle also. Both with seat belt install.

Secshunate

We went with the True Fit -- It was hard to install RF like I read (needs towels) but as for the space it takes up, that's actually less than the Eddie Bauer bucket.

Thanks for the help.

QuassEE everyone still knows everyone here...check your PM.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC