Forum Organization Changes

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't think it would be worthwhile in the current setup, but it might be useful if there are individual manufacturer forums. It would be the only sticky in each forum, or maybe one of a very small number.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't think having a "sticky" for ever manufacturer would work very well. That would give us 16 stickies, and frankly, most people don't seem to read stickies before posting anyway.

The other issue with that is often times sticky posts reduce the # of visible new posts on a page, so it would create a problem there too.

Thinking about the types of questions we see most often, it's more "help me choose" or "help me compare A and B" or "what is safest" or "what am I doing wrong." We get manufacturer specific questions sometimes, but a lot of times they are general in nature. I tend to agree that having a sub-forum for each manufacturer would be too much with the current amount of traffic and the types of discussions that are most common.

I guess really the question from my point of view would be when is a "Graco" question a "Graco" question and when is it an installation question or seat selection question - or just a chatty post in general?

I've been on forums that have things very clearly broke down like that. I think it's beneficial for if you're researching a specific brand of something... say you've narrowed your car model choices down to 2 or 3, and you want to find out more about those specific cars. I think when people are choosing carseats though, that there are so many different factors and an interplay from one brand to another, that separating by brand may be difficult because it's not as simple. I could be totally off base mind you, but that's my initial thoughts anyways.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree. Forums that get too sub-forumed often lose traffic because they become too cumbersome. And it would be difficult to have manufacturer subforums, IMO.

If we wanted to have manufacturer-specific FAQs with all "special rules", info on crash replacement, limits, etc. for that manufacturer, maybe some people could collaborate and come up with articles for the articles and reviews forum? Then if we needed to we could still link people to the info all in one place, but without cluttering up the "regular" forums.

I agree that at some point more sub-division will probably be beneficial, but I don't think manufacturers is a great way to do it, because there are so many, etc.

vonfirmath

Instead of manufacturers, how about "Situations"

So "Infant seats"
"Convertible seats"
"Combination seats"
"Boosters"

(and some thought given to where forward-facing only seats)

We'd need a "3 across" group too probably

There will be overlap, but I think that this would more accurately represent the traffic.

HOWEVER... it would lead to two posts in cases where parents have two children and might lead to missing some opportunities to suggest to a parent to buy the oldest child a seat and pass down the oldest child's seat, etc.

Lea_Ontario

I like the idea of the manufacturer specific forums, I think we've already got TOO MANY sub-forums / sub-categories as is. It's not easy to navigate or understand.

Maedze

See, I really don't think breaking it down in any way is going to be beneficial either for us as advocates or for parents/caretakers with questions.

How many times have we seen, "My eight month old is growing out of his infant carrier, I heard the Graco Nautilus is a good seat?"

Where exactly is that supposed to go? Infant Seats? Convertibles? Combination Seats? The "you're wrong, help, run far away" forum?

Many times parents will post looking for information about a specific seat and we end up gently pointing them in a separate direction, whether it's another brand or another kind of seat entirely.

Darren, I'm not trying in any way to be rude by what I'm about to say so I hope you don't perceive it that way. I think you may be approaching this from an analytical, male perspective, which believe me, I understand and appreciate, but I'd say the VAST majority of our traffic is mothers. And women just DON'T appreciate having everything narrowed down by brand, shape and screw size, the way most guys do. It's simply too overwhelming. (Yes, I'm a raging sexist, I guess :p )

Right now, I might be completely wrong, but I feel that we do a decent job of answering most of the questions that come across the forum, as long as they're cleared for posting in a relatively timely fashion.

Perhaps if it does come to the time where posts are being truly overlooked just because the main car seat forum is moving so fast, we could ask for volunteers to cover 'shifts' as it were? To make sure that all questions are being answered in a timely fashion, and bump the question up to the top if the answers are unsatisfactory? I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind doing it.

If you feel a strong need for manufacturer subforums, what about putting them 'downstairs' and making them more of an 'article/review' forum for registered members than a q and a forum? I just can't see the latter being beneficial. :eek:

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I know when I log on, I check the forums in this order: Car Seats, Installation and Technical, Car Seat Chat, Tech Forum (then head to the CMC...). Lately, I've added the SN/Other Trans forum.

If I have a dozen other forums to check, chances are I won't.

I have been using the "new posts" button recently, but I feel disjointed using that.

I agree that with more forums, posts are more likely to go unanswered, just because people won't get there. That's especially true if there aren't many posts in a forum on any particular day. (If we only have one question about a SafeGuard each month, how likely are we to ever check the SafeGuard forum?)

Also, most parents out there have no idea that their 3-in-1 is manufactured by Dorel, or that their seat that goes RF and FF is even called a convertible.

I think some of the forums are too inside-baseball for the average parent coming here.

If it were up to me (I realize it's not!), I would keep the forums the way they are now, but I'd move "other transportation" back into the regular section, and keep SN on its own.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Guests will definitely be limited to just a few forums. It's too hard to keep track of moderated post queues otherwise. Any new forums would be read-only until you are an approved member or community member.

Obviously, no one is compelled to visit sub forums that don't interest them. I visit a number of forums where certain brands or sub forum topics are irrelevant to me, so I don't ever browse them.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Obviously, no one is compelled to visit sub forums that don't interest them. I visit a number of forums where certain brands or sub forum topics are irrelevant to me, so I don't ever browse them.

See, my thing isn't that I'm not interested--it's that it would be too cumbersome. I'd want to give input (and get info) on Britax, Chicco, Dorel, infant seats, boosters, etc. And I do, the way things are currently set up. But if I had to visit two dozen different forums, I don't know that I would. I'd probably figure, "Oh someone else will get around to that," but everyone else might think that, too.

I'd certainly TRY to get to everything--I wouldn't not visit out of spite--but I know how I am. If I have to click too much, I probably won't.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would definitely split SN from "Other transportation." I'd probably make a different forum for "Airplanes, trains, and other modes of transportation" instead.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Last chance to weigh in on the new layout. I've updated the layout in the first post based on various input.

It will probably go live this weekend without the manufacturer forums. Those will probably come in the future, but not until the forums have grown a little more.

Splash

I really wish we could go back to the very few subforums we had once upon a moon. There are just too too too many now, and I find myself completely skipping the technical forums (the reason I came in the first place) because it's too dang difficult to post anything anymore, and then I never remember where it went. I especially think making things manufacturer specific is going too far. I know I would rarely venture into those forums, and I don't think many others would either.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Actually, I hadn't thought of this until I read Maedze's post, but I think it's an important point. I'm on another forum and we used to have this old, clunky forum, and we were all so excited to get a new forum (same program as this one.) Well, the new forum is dead. I'm not exaggerating - it went from several new threads/posts per day to maybe twenty total per month. At first everyone just said "Oh, it'll pick back up once everyone gets used to the new format!" But it's been a year and it hasn't. It's got WAY too many subforums.

An example (this isn't a car seat forum I'm talking about, but this is a "translation.") Someone thinks "I'm having trouble installing my Marathon in my Civic for my 4yo, so I'll go ask about it. Okay.... does it go in the Britax forum? No, wait, it's an install problem so maybe I put in that forum. Or maybe we need a new carseat because this one just doesn't seem to be working, so maybe I should put it in the carseat suggestions forum? Oh, to heck with it, never mind."

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The manufacturer forums are not the present issue. The other changes are mostly in how the forums are laid out with main and subforums, though there are a few new ones.

The main change is that the Car Seats forum would be separated by itself on top, more clearly labeled that visitors should go there first.

Other transportation would be split off from special needs and put under the auto section, along with a forum that would contain threads specific to individual vehicle models for compatibility issues.

The automated recall newsfeeds would be pulled out into separate recall sub forums so the carseat ones aren't buried so quickly.

There would be a test forum and a separate price check swap forum.

The layout would group things in a more logical fashion, but would be a longer layout.

Is this really likely to confuse?

Simplysomething

What if the reviews forum was subdivided by manufacturer--and have that be read-only--(would there be a way to alphabetize them, or something? lol) Then have the discussion in the other places--if you must have manufacturer specific subforums. Right now, they're just all kind of ...there. Sure, you can search them, but it'd be nice to go, "Oh, someone had a really nifty review for the marathon, let me pull it up"...

I totally see the point of the folks who are wary of forum clutter.

Would the manufacturer subforums be for general discussion, or for questions? Because I totally forsee what Defrost talks about--people having issues that don't fit neatly into a specific section.

Right now, the car seats forum and the installation and technical questions forums trip people up. And carseat chat--at lot of confusion with carseats and carseat chat.

I know that there is a lot of overlap between what is and can be discussed in the carseats and carseat chat subforums. Having two almost feels redundant, but I understand WHY we have two, I just understand where people get confused--new--guests, etc.

(and if you're into tweaking the downstairs a bit, what about a dedicated subforum for discussion craigslist, freecycle, and other random stuff we find posted online--that needs to be down there?)

I babble.

Hope you figure it out, and hope people continue to get lots of help.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
THat's one reason I propose moving carseat chat downstairs- Please see the layout in the first post...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I did. I know I went off on a tangent, sorry. :)

But what about subdiving the review forum?

It would make it easier to find reviews, but the problem is there are very few reviews to start. The reason to subdivide the main forums is to split off some of the content so they aren't overflowing to multiple pages daily.

There's certainly a need to do at least minor reorganizing. The hard part is doing it in a way that makes sense to most and confuses the fewest. Someone will be put off or unable to adapt, no matter what change is made, so the fewer the better. On the flip side, how any people are put off as is? Not just long timers, but guests and new members. I get a few comments here and there, but not enough to make a sound choice.

Splash

Do we really need a price check forum? Are there really that many price check requests? I can't imagine there are. And people most likely won't go reading it to answer questions, which mean people won't ask the questions. Like people who still post "tell me about this highchair" in CMC. Sure, it goes in gear, but gear isn't that well read and people want their post to be seen, so they move it out.

I've left forums before where they became too sub-divided. It's not worth it. This forum exploded to what it is now in just the basic few forums. It's not going to die if left alone (I don't think).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC