What size Rider Safe Travel Vest?

Erika Ruth

My eldest daughter is almost 6 years old. She is just outgrowing her Marathon. She's got a 19 inch torso or so (took measuring tape to her standing) She's 40lbs in a swimsuit.

So, she's tall and thin. The "large" size starts at 50lbs, but I think it would fit her better long wise?

What size should I get?

I'm getting this for when we have company in town, and I want to fit 3 across in the back row of our Minivan. I can't find 3 carseats that fit across now that my youngest has outgrown her infant seat.

(and for travel where we need to get 3 across in the back of a sedan)

So, it will be used about once a month or less. But, for longer trips (45minutes +) where I will not want to sit in the far back in a 15 inch space.

Erika

ADS

cookie123

Measure her torso again, have her sit against the wall and mark the top of the shoulder, then have her move and measure from the floor up to the mark.

Also, what van and what other kids and seats would help us puzzle this out for you.

lovinwaves

Hi, Erika! Welcome back :)

Is a booster out of the question? Where are her shoulders on her Marathon in relation to the top slot?

I have found that I get different me

Erika Ruth

Okay. Here is what I own.

Graco SafeSeat 1 my 19 month old 18lbs, daughter is just outgrowing it height wise. Just switched her to the Marathon RF

2 Marathons. My oldest barely fits in it anymore. Just re-measured she's 16-17 inch torso. She's about even with with the top straps, and her ears are about at the shell. Don't know where they fall exactly. My middle JUST got to be too tall for RF in the marathon (RF until past 3). She's got plenty of FF room.

Cosco Scenera (or however you spell that blasted seat)

Compass Folding Booster. It is weird to have my 5 year old, almost 6 year old in a booster, but she's really good about sitting still.

I've got a 98 Chrysler town and country (with retrofitted tethers)

I CAN get 2 FF marathons in the back with the SafeSeat in the middle. But, we're loosing the safeseat, so, I am totally out of luck.

I don't want to ride in the back with 2 of the kids because my youngest will scream the whole time.

So, I'm good for most days. I can just put two in the back, and two in the middle... But, when we have family in town, I want the two captains chairs for grownups. (I'm the only one who can fit in the back row with the FF and RF marathons.

What would you do????? Seems silly to try for a radian with how tall she is.

Erika

Erika Ruth

Hi LovinWaves! It is good to be back!

Yes, she's even with the top slots in the Marathon, but still can fit, and does sometimes. (when we went on a car trip last month)

We also have the Compass Folding Booster. Sadly, I can't put it in the middle (no shoulder belt) and with the two marathons it is 1-2 inches too wide. I've tried and tried, and it just doesn't fit. I have 5 carseats and I can't find ANY combo that works with the size of my kids. (the SafeSeat1 is just being outgrown and given to a friend).

I want to use my 2 marathons in the back row (one ff, one rf), and the Scenera would be fine, but it seems just as wide?

I normally put the FF booster, and the FF marathon in the back row, and the RF marathon in the middle bucket, so whatever configuration I use will only be for when we have 2 adult guests in town like Grandparents and stuff.

I just think the Ride Safer vest would probably be the easiest option for weird times when I want 3 across the back.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Scenera is not as wide as a Marathon. It's 1 inch wider than the Radian at their widest points. The difference is, the Radian tapers at the bottom, the Scenera is that all the way down. HTH.

Erika Ruth

Ketchup Queen, Sadly, it doesn't help, as I have it, and it doesn't fit. :)

The Scenera would have to be my RF center, and I can't get a good install with a marathon and the booster. It is just too tight. The ONLY combo of my 5 seats I can get is the

FF Marathon, SS1, FF Marathon (Touching and tight, but with all three with a good safe independent install).

THAT is a perfect combo back there, and I am so sad to be loosing it...

I think I can get FF Marathon, FF Scenera, FF Marathon back there ,but again, that doesn't help. I've got a 18lbs 19 month old. She's NOT riding FF.

WAIT! I might be able to do RF Marathon, FF Scenera, then Booster. I'll go try that. I KNOW it doesn't fit with RF Scenera. BRB!!!! :) (Thanks for helping me think Ketchup Queen!)

I've got to find a new safe solution for my eldest.

But, my eldest is outgrowing the Marathon, and my youngest is outgrowing the SS1.

Erika Ruth

Thank you Kechup Queen and everyone for your help!

I CAN fit RF Marathon, FF Scenera, and Compass Booster outboard.

It will work for this summer.

I'm afraid my middle daughter will outgrow this solution soon. (I'll check her weight today).

I'll ask again when we come closer to outgrowing this solution.

Erika

Erika Ruth

Okay, so we tried the RF Marathon, FF Scenera, and the Compass booster. I had to reinstall the Scenera EVERY time I had to get Eleanor into the car. (I could get my fingers down to unlock the seatbelt, but I couldn't lock it.

So...

Any ideas?

Erika

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
-Narrower booster
-RF the Scenera, and switch the Marathon for an Avenue (or CarGo-- even narrower, I think), and scootch them both over as much as possible (sadly, that leaves you without using the Marathon...)

J-max

CPST Instructor
* I have reworded this twice and it still sounds snarky - it is not meant that way :D

Is there something wrong with using a RSTV in this situation? I know that was the OP's originally question and it looks like it still might be the simplest way to go? I sometimes use an RSTV for my girls to make a 3 across in my SIL's explorer with a regent and DC installed outboard and it works great.

To answer the original question, I would still go for the small RSTV. My dd#3 is very similar in size to yours (she almost at the top of her BLVD settings and weighs between 38 and 40 lbs) and the small fits her great, and still fits my almost 6 year old who is even taller than her.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I use the RSTV in this situation too, so no, I don't find anything wrong with it.

My son is around 46 pounds and 45 inches (no idea on torso height, he outgrew the MA about 6 months ago). I have a small RSTV that *just* fits him. I have buying a large RSTV on my "to-do" list.

Erika Ruth

I am also thinking that the RSTV is the safest option for the truck too... I think I'm going to get it. This is a very occasional use thing. Like once a month or less.

I'll let you know what I think once I get it.

Erika

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, there's nothing wrong with it-- was just trying to suggest some cheaper options that hadn't been thought of. :) I use an RSTV in my mom's Sentra to get 3-across.

I do make sure the child wearing it is in the middle, though-- there's no shell on it so it's not "as optimal" as a CR with a shell in that way (though it actually provides better "containment" than a booster.)

Erika Ruth

We have lap only in the middle without an anchor (I will be getting one in eventually), and we don't have side curtain airbags. So, I always try to put the RF child in the middle.

I hate the puzzle of what is safest that seems to happen all the time.

Technically, in NM, she's legal without a carseat at all (Isn't it 4 and 40 in this state?). My 3 year old could be in a booster, and my youngest, I could fudge and say is 20lbs, and put her FF...

Because if I really did what was safest, I would put two adults next to the RF Marathon in the back, and have two 5pt in the bucket seats in the middle. But, I don't know of any adult who could get between a FF installed marathon in the middle row, to the back row with a RF marathon in the center.

So, we do have some comfort room here for adult passengers.

On a daily basis, I put FF Marathon in the back on the side with the tether anchor, put the RF Marathon in the middle row, and put the HBB either in the back row or middle row depending on what else is going on and who else is riding (and if my extra middle seat is in the car, or removed to get everyone in and out easier).

Erika Ruth

For price... I figure $80 for three girls, plus no expiration, and resale, I can afford it. It seems "cheaper" to me than a Radian that I really don't need, and won't work long term, or a Regent that would be cool, but wouldn't solve my problem.

I ordered small. If we really like it, I can always get a large later. If worse comes to worse, I can put my middle daughter in the RSTV once my oldest outgrows it and do RF Marathon, Booster for the oldest, and RSTV for the middle.

It will make this summer FAR easier.

Erika

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Then I would try FF (and tethered) narrower seat in the back, with a narrow-ish RF seat in the center, and a booster or other narrow harnessed seat on the side. That's what I'd try to do. Sadly, I'd probably sell the Marathons (or at least their covers) to make up the cost of what I needed to do to get everyone in safEST, if I were in your situation... But that, of course, is up to you. :)

Side curtain airbags wouldn't do anything for a smaller kid, in a booster or not, anyway... Only the tallest booster riders will be in a position to benefit from side curtain airbags. They're designed for adult sized passengers.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ah, just saw your last post. That's certainly an acceptable solution. It might not be one I'd do on a regular basis but we all have different comfort levels. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC