Nova Scotia Booster Law

AmericanPeanuts

I just tried to look up what the law in NS is for a booster seat. I see that the minimum is 4yrs/40 pounds before going into a booster but does that mean they are able to go into a backless booster at this age? My sister in law has her 5 year old in a backless booster and it just seems so unsafe to me. I know he is over 40 pounds but I don't know his height. i do know that he is average height compared to all others kids in his class. I questioned her on it and she thinks it's okay but is open to finding out more. My boys are both under 3 so I am not up on the requirements for older kids. We ERF, by the way, so I don't need any guidance in that area! Thanks for your help.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If he's sitting properly 100% of the time, and not out of position at all (including when he's sleeping) then it's likely not any more unsafe relative to a highback booster.. The added advantage to a highback booster tends to be with younger children (5 or 6) who fall over when they fall asleep, or who are more tempted to move out of position without some additional support. Highback boosters also provide additional head and neck protection in the absence of a vehicle headrest. Does her son have a vehicle headrest in his seating position?

I usually find that the biggest difference between a lowback and highback fit is that the shoulderbelt often times rides up on a child's neck with a lowback--even when using the adjuster clips. If her vehicle has adjustable seatbelts, she is likely compensating for that poor fit with the manual adjust of the belt.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC