Do you think I can wait another month?

lili

So, I really want the Britax Advocate. BUT, I'm in Canada and they aren't being shipped until the end of May/early June, so I wouldn't have it for another month.

My DD is 13 months and tiny (16 and a half pounds), but height wise is about 3/4 to one inch from the top of her Peg Perego SIP infant seat.

Do you think I can wait or is this urgent to get her a seat asap? My second option is the Britax Boulevard CS, which I could get now.

Advice please!

Thank you,
Liana

ADS

Mama Jo

Why don't you just get a Scenera to get you by until the seat you want comes out? Then you could have it as a back-up/spare for later.

Evolily

Are they even selling the Advocate in Canada? Usually seats come out in the US several months before they come out in Canada.

And yes, if she has less than an inch above her head, the seat is outgrown and needs replaced ASAP. If you must have an Advocate then you can buy a stop gap seat like the Cosco Scenera to use in the interim.

monstah

Sounds like you can't wait and need another seat right now. :sorry!:

If you REALLY want the Advocate, I suggest the same as the other posters. Buy a backup seat that you can use in the interim and then get the Advocate when it comes out.

April

The Peg Perego is already outgrown, so no, you can not wait a month, you need a new seat now. Do you mind if I ask why you are so set on the advocate?

lili

The Peg Perego is already outgrown, so no, you can not wait a month, you need a new seat now. Do you mind if I ask why you are so set on the advocate?

Sure, I like that it can rear face until 35 pounds (as can the Boulevard) and I like the idea of additional side impact protection that the air cusions offer.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sure, I like that it can rear face until 35 pounds (as can the Boulevard) and I like the idea of additional side impact protection that the air cusions offer.
In Canada, the Boulevard only rear-faces to 30 pounds. I don't know the Adovate's RF weight for Canada, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also 30 pounds.

I also thought the Advocate came out the end of April in the U.S.? Which would put it here end of May or even end of June if Britax follows their 30-60 commitment for release in Canada, that I read from a Britax rep in another thread.

Also, be sure you are measuring her height in her RF seat like the diagram in this post http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=278124&postcount=1 And I agree with the others, if she is less than an inch, her seat is outgrown and she needs a new seat now.

If you're looking for a 35 pound rear-facing seat, your choices are currently:

The First Years True Fit
Sunshine Kids Radian XT
Cosco Scenera (DOM after Dec 23/08)
Cosco Alpha Omega (newer ones)

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Like the PP said, check that it goes to 35 pounds in Canada. As far as I know the only 35 pound rear facing seat in Canada right now is the True Fit.

Also, the cushions are on the outside of the seat, so they don't do much for the babe sitting in it. If you have three people back there it would help the passengers next to the carseat. When it's forward facing. It won't do anything while it's rear facing.

And it's still safer (someone has the study somewhere I'm sure) for passengers to bounce off next to a carseat, even unpadded, than nothing at all, so I wouldn't stress about putting something "less" than the Advocate next to rear passengers. Carseats are designed to be buffeted around, they're unlikely to hurt those next to them.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Also, the cushions are on the outside of the seat, so they don't do much for the babe sitting in it. If you have three people back there it would help the passengers next to the carseat. When it's forward facing. It won't do anything while it's rear facing.

According to the presentation and the reps at Lifesavers, the cushions do improve the side impact performance for the child in the seat, both by acting as shock absorbers and by enforcing a greater distance between the head of the child and the intruding vehicle

lili

OK, so I've read totally conflicting information on the rear facing max weight on the Britax Boulevard CS - some sites say 30 pounds, others 35. Anyways, this isn't really the deciding factor for me. I just really want the advocate as my line of thinking is..... if there's something better out there and I don't get it, I'll stress about it. I know, perhaps it's not "better," but seems to me like it really should be slightly safer.......

Anyways, I also can't find where I would buy the Cosco Scenera (sp?)? Anyone know where to buy it?

I'm off to measure my daughter properly in the seat.......

Evolily

The Scenera should be available at most big box stores (walmart, target, etc). The newer models in Canada should RF to 35 lbs IIRC.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
OK, so I've read totally conflicting information on the rear facing max weight on the Britax Boulevard CS - some sites say 30 pounds, others 35.
Many retailers just copy the info from the U.S. web site which is 35 pounds. Currently, all Britax seats in Canada only rear-face to 30 pounds.

Anyways, I also can't find where I would buy the Cosco Scenera (sp?)? Anyone know where to buy it?
According to Cosco's web site, you should be able to find the Scenera at Canadian Tire, Zellers, Sears and Wal-Mart.

mommycat

According to Cosco's web site, you should be able to find the Scenera at Canadian Tire, Zellers, Sears and Wal-Mart.
(With the lowest price being Walmart by about $30, at least around here.)

And if you are looking for something "safer", then the ability of the seat to RF as long as possible should be at the top of your list, as RF provides the most protection. Since your daughter is tiny it probably doesn't matter nearly as much as for a heavier baby, but the extra 5 lbs is certainly handy. Have a look at the 35lb seats that TechnoGranola posted and see if there is anything there that you like, just in case. ;)

lili

Just wanted to add that I called Britax to confirm and the Advocates are supposed to start shipping around the U.S. mid-May and to Canada at the end of May (arriving in June).

Thanks everyone for your feedback - we did put her in for a good height check and her head is pretty even with the top - don't think there's even an inch so definitely time for a new seat, like tomorrow. We didn't notice with the hood on....... Think we may have to buy the Boulevard CS. I can't seem to find the Scenera listed on any Walmart/Sears around here - maybe just in the U.S.? I'll look more tomorrow.

canmom

The Scenera is at wal-mart for sure. Like other posters I would recommend a seat that can rf to 35lbs. IMHO, I like the Britax seats but an extra 5lbs of rfing time and the taller shells of other seats just makes Britax seem not worth it anymore to me :twocents:.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
JI can't seem to find the Scenera listed on any Walmart/Sears around here - maybe just in the U.S.? I'll look more tomorrow.
The stores I listed were from Cosco's web site and were the stores they say the Scenera is at in Canada. Try calling Sears, their web site is technically a different department and carries different product than in their stores. Wal-mart.ca doesn't show all product so going in to a local Wal-Mart would be a good idea (I'd say call but Wal-Mart employees are notorious for saying something doesn't exist when it does simply because many of them don't know the product they carry!).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Just wanted to add that I called Britax to confirm and the Advocates are supposed to start shipping around the U.S. mid-May and to Canada at the end of May (arriving in June).
This is interesting because on another thread a poster in the U.S. already has an Advocate so it would seem they are already out in the U.S.

amyd

The Scenera has been in every Walmart I've ever checked...I'm sure they carry it. Zellers & the Bay have them too.

sparkyd

I like the Britax seats but an extra 5lbs of rfing time and the taller shells of other seats just makes Britax seem not worth it anymore to me :twocents:.

:yeahthat:

Don't get sucked in by the name and the hefty price tag. Those things don't make it a better seat. I have a Britax Marathon sitting in my basement right now because I replaced it with a True Fit, which I love.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC