Which is prefered?

jewlsvern

I have an 8 yr old niece. In order to fit all 3 kids in grandma's car I have 2 options. One is to put her in the back in a lap/shoulder belt, which does fit her fairly well. The other option is in the front seat in a NBB with an airbag (95 Avalon). We can not get 3 across in grandma's car if we use her NBB and grandma will not get another seat. I think I would have to buy 3 completely new seats to fit all 3 kids in the back. There are 2 in boosters and one RFing. She only takes the kids 1-3 times a week.

Which is the safer place to put her, back in no seat or front in a seat?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If you are willing to buy a seat, you might like the Ride Safer Travel Vest -- relatively affordable, easy to store/carry & if the kid fits between the other carseats then the RSTV will.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, that's what I use for my five-year-old in my mom's Sentra to fit her in between her sisters' car seats.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... or the vest could be for one of the two younger kids between the backless booster and other carseat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, I'd probably put the middle child (younger one in a booster) in the RSTV, and the oldest in a booster.

jewlsvern

I am already having to buy her a HBB for my car and do not have the funds to buy a RSTV. Besides DS is due in August so she will then be in the front seat in a booster because the infant seat will have to go in the back.

Grandma only takes all 3 kids occasionally when I can't. More often she takes the 2 older and DD's Avenue is not in the back so both kids fit there. We usually take my car when we are all together.

I don't think there are tethor anchors either so I don't think the RSTV will work.

For now though I need to know which is the safer place to put DNi. Is the front with a NBB safer or the back in a lap/shoulder belt that fits fairly well?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you have a lap and shoulder belt a tether isn't required for the RSTV. It's out of your budget, so it's rather moot, but just wanted to point it out.

I'd put her in the back. The back is automatically 40% safer than the front, and if the lap and shoulder belt fit her it's not ideal, but it's not the worst thing.

Wendy

jewlsvern

I'd put her in the back. The back is automatically 40% safer than the front, and if the lap and shoulder belt fit her it's not ideal, but it's not the worst thing.

Wendy
That's what I thought and what I told my mom to do. I just wanted a tech or someone to confirm she was safer in the back without a seat than in the front with one.

She is already in nothing in her parents cars so it's hard to get her in boosters in our cars sometime. This is why I have to buy her a very pink HBB to move her from a NBB so she fits correctly in a new spot in my car. DS will take her old place and she will be in the 3rd row now.

jewlsvern

Looks like she needs a van with all those grandkids. lol

Yeah! She has 8 and 2 more on the way. Only 3 live nearby, soon to be 4. Too bad it won't happen since her car is paid off. She lives with my family so her car is rarely used, just occasionally to pick up kids from school.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC