Flying with a TF

U

Unregisteredh

Has anyone flown with a True Fit? My 19 month old and I are flying back east for a family visit, normally we just use a Cosco Scenara when we are there but this time we will also be doing a 10 hour road trip and I want her to have the more comfy TF that we use all the time at home. I had planned on carrying it on board with us(probably buying her a seat, although these flights are rarely full) but will it be a seat hog? Should I try and get a Radian or something smaller?

Thanks!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Radian won't fit rear facing on the plane.

If you want narrowness and padding check out the Safety 1st Uptown/Avenue. They're like the Scenera except with padding.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hmm. Do you think the TF will fit rearfacing? It's such a moose of a seat... I could *maybe* borrow a MA... Buying a new one at this point isn't really a feasible option financially, this wasn't a real planned trip, my brother just decided to get married ;) She's obviously still rearfacing but is big, almost 30lbs and 35 inches... Would it be awful for me to forward face her on the plane?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Seats usually fit pretty upright on planes. I think the TF would be no exception.

The only reason the Radian is an exception is because of the design of the base.

Now, the seat is pretty wide. But, the FAA now says that if your seat doesn't fit in the seat they put you in, they're required to move you to one where it will (like a seat with armrests that flip up) in order for it to be able to use it, as long as you've purchased a ticket.

It wouldn't be "horrible" to FF on the plane, but it might be a bit more work; though the TF has the non-rethread harness you'd still be doing a more unfamiliar install, KWIM? And she might not be as comfy if she's used to RF. She won't be able to use the tray table FF with that seat so I'd say it would probably be easier to plan on RF her. If it absolutely won't fit FF is an option.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The biggest disadvantage to ff'ing a younger kid (who meets the minimums to ff as your dd does,) on a plane, is that the kid is able to kick the seat in front of them.

As for whether or not the seat would fit rf'ing, I'd be a bit doubtful of it. I know that the EFTA was an extremely tight fit rf'ing and I actually chose to ff my ds on the return trip for a couple of reasons. (He was 2yrs old.)

I'm ok with ff'ing a kid your dd's age and size on the plane. As for how the TF will fit, it will probably be snug to sit beside her and you'll definitely have to have the armrest on the plane up - so a bulk head seat won't be an option. But if either your or your dh is able to comfortably fit between the armrests of a plane normally, the seat shouldn't be too bad to sit beside. I suspect that the plane's lap-belt would sit with the buckle right in the ff'ing lock-off, but being that it's a plane, I just wouldn't use the lock-off and wouldn't have any concern of the technical "misuse" issue in that situation.

The TF is only about 1/2" wider than the EFTA and I was able to sit beside it comfortably enough on the way there. On the way back we had an empty seat between ds and I so it was more roomy... But I do fill out most of the space between arm-rests, so anyone smaller would have more room. ;) (Though perhaps width of plane seats does vary a little? I only have 1 style plane to compare to. :p)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The TF is naturally more upright than the ETA, though, isn't it? I know it "sits" more upright than a Marathon, and people seem to have no problem with Marathons RF on planes. It seems to me that if it takes up less space in a car front to back, it should also take up less space on a plane.

snowbird25ca

The TF is naturally more upright than the ETA, though, isn't it? I know it "sits" more upright than a Marathon, and people seem to have no problem with Marathons RF on planes. It seems to me that if it takes up less space in a car front to back, it should also take up less space on a plane.

The EFTA is much more compact front to back than the MA and the TF because of the way it sits. The EFTA fit, but it was very upright - and the plane buckle was problematic because ds slid forward into the crotch strap when we took off and I spent most of the ascent with my hand trying to hold his bum back to reduce the pressure on his crotch. (The plane buckle sat right smack dab in the middle of the buckle, so it was the real culprit for the discomfort...)

It may fit on the plane very upright, it's hard to say without trying it - and given that kiddo is big enough to ff on the plane there the option is always there to try rf'ing and just use it ff'ing in the event it doesn't fit. You never know how a seat is going to interact with different contouring. :shrug-shoulders:

It's also possible that West Jet's fleet has less space between rows than some other fleets? I only have the one experience to compare it too so that could be something too. :) I can say that it looked like a MA would've been pushing it too, so who knows... the TF definitely does take up less room than the MA.

Mrs.Wifey

It's just so hard to decide and this situation should NOT be a hard one to figure out, lol.

I guess I'm concerned about installing the seat, having a toddler, and managing to stow our stuff all at once. We're flying Southwest so they don't really have the greatest boarding procedure, I don't remember how they board families... I do know they have infant fares, I should have checked those when I called last.

So which is better- EFTA or TF?

snowbird25ca

I'd just stick with the TF since it's what you already have. :)

Some airlines offer pre-boarding for families or passengers with reduced mobility. I took advantage of it both directions and will definitely use it when I fly with both kids next month. Are you flying with another adult? If so, that makes it easier because one of you can manage the carseat and the other can manage bags and kid. I made use of the flight attendants and asked for their help in getting the carry-ons on and also they "watched" ds while I installed the carseat. (By watch I mean he stood on a seat in the row behind and they just kept an eye on him that he didn't try to make a run for it. ;))

I do understand the tough decision. I really struggled with whether I was going to bring the EFTA or the TF. In the end I decided on the EFTA because it was the seat ds was using in our vehicle at the time and I figured on the plane was not the time to put him in a different seat. In the end everything worked itself out, and I'm sure it will for you too. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I haven't flown with either seat, so I can't tell you, but I've flown a ton with my daughter alone, so I do know about getting us on board.

First, once you're on they generally don't let kids back off. I would put Piper in a seat in our row or across the aisle first, then I'd install her seat. After the seat was installed I'd get her in it (she didn't need to be buckled, but she had to sit or stand in it, or in my seat) and then I'd stow our bags. I don't normally check luggage, so I'd have our roller bag and our carryons with us.

Now that Piper is older what she has decided on her own to do is to curl up under the seat in front of us. It's a bit of a game to her. Maybe you could suggest that?

Also, people want to board quickly, but they do understand that kids add to the fun. If a passenger offers to help, accept. If you're worry about getting the carseat and your stuff, then check whatever you don't want to take on board. If you have a backpack on then you can leave it on your back while you install the seat. Send the toddler toward the back of the plane (no exit, so they can't get off the plane, they're there somewhere).

Southwest will often board families after group A.

Don't go for a bulkhead seat.

Wendy

jrmo

Can't answer your question on the carseat, but SW has family "preboard" between A and B group. You'll get a LITTLE extra time that way.

Mrs.Wifey

Oh, I've flown a TON with DD, this will be like her 7th trip to see my parents and like flight #15 or so... We are flying alone this time, which is normally fine because I'm not worried about lugging moose seat onto the plane.

I guess we'll just board as early as possible and be the last ones off the plane. Usually when collecting luggage I put DD in a carrier on my back, and my backpack on the front so I can haul everything else... I'll just have to do the same for boarding the plane.

Thanks for the help, it's been nice to have somewhere to talk it out with people who understand carseats. My RL friends just don't get it, lol.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
When is your flight? I'll be flying with a TF at the beginning of June, so if your flight is after that, you can wait for my report.

brooklynsmommy

I just thought of this and thought I would ask. Now, I'm not sure how tall your child is, but would it be possible to take the headrest portion off? Sure you couldn't drive like that since you don't have your one inch. But in a plane would that be ok? Maybe even have the headrest part on during takeoff/ landing, but off during the flight so that the person in front could recline?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Southwest is actually pretty good about installing seats in my rather limited experience. And having flown alone with kids several times, the FAs are usually happy to stow your baggage and/or keep an eye on your kid while you get the seat put in. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC