What would you reccomend?

Mom2MyStars

I have a friend who needs is expecting and needs a seat. She already bought an Evenflo seat but is regreting not putting any research into it. (She got it because she liked the way it went with the stroller.) I assured her that no matter what the seat, the most important thing she can do is make sure it is installed properly and to use it correctly every time. I also refered her to the techs at a local store here. However, she really wants more information and asked for some help. My youngest is almost 4 and I have not really looked into infant car seat stuff much since I needed it for him. I thought maybe you ladies could help. :love:

Personally, I don't care much for "bucket" infant seats, however, if I was going to get one I think I would prefer either a Companion, KeyFit or Safe Seat. What seats would you say are top 3 choices?

As for a convertable seat, maybe a Roundabout, Decathalon, or Radian. What would you say are the top 3 choices?

Thanks!
Sara

ADS

Maedze

The Keyfit30 or the Snugride32 (formerly the SafeSeat) are probably 'best' bets for infant seats.

Britax seats are not a good choice for infants. The top harness position is waaaay too high for 99% of infants. THe Roundabout isn't a good choice for anything. It doesn't fit newborns well and is so short shelled it doesn't fit most kids beyond 2 years, and is outgrown rearfacing way too early.

Convertibles that fit most newborns well are the Cosco Scenera (no padding, no EPS foam!), Evenflo Titan (outgrown way too early) Evenflo Triumph Advance, Combi Cocorro (will be outgrown VERY young), The First Years Compass True Fit, any Sunshine Kids' Radian.

Mom2MyStars

Huh, I remember a few Mom's swearing the Roundabout was great! LOL I didn't like (for many reasons) and have never had one. Are any of the Recaro seats good for infants?

So the Radian, ETA and Tru Fit would be good choices from newborn to ERF to EH? Or at least some EH?

Also, I was told it is preferable to use an infant seat with out the base if possible. I have done no research on this. Is it true? I know some seats say you can and some don't but that is it!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd go either with a Keyfit, Safeseat, EFTA, or True Fit. The first two are infant seats, the last two are convertibles.

The Radian is huge front to back, though it does fit newborns well. The True Fit has a bunch of infant padding that's really nice for newborns. I like it the best.

The Safeseat and Keyfit have built in lockoffs for seatbelt installations. The handles can also be up, which will give her a whole lot more room. The Evenflo infant seats require the handles down AND 1.5 inches between them and the front seat. So they're by far the biggest infant seats front to back.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Huh, I remember a few Mom's swearing the Roundabout was great! LOL I didn't like (for many reasons) and have never had one. Are any of the Recaro seats good for infants?

So the Radian, ETA and Tru Fit would be good choices from newborn to ERF to EH? Or at least some EH?

Also, I was told it is preferable to use an infant seat with out the base if possible. I have done no research on this. Is it true? I know some seats say you can and some don't but that is it!

If you read Amazon or BRU's reviews on carseats you'll find moms saying that Roundabouts are great and their two year olds LOVE their new booster seats. Doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. :)

Recaros have the same bottom slots. Too tall for newborns.

The Radian and True Fit will fit most kids to seven or so. Maybe a hair less. The EFTA probably five or six. Do you consider five or six EH? hehe THey're all great for ERF.

Using an infant seat without the base is fine if it's tested that way, but a PITA. You have to either thread the baby under the seatbelt, or reinstall the seat every time. That probably comes from someone who reads Consumer Reports (they did erroneous testing and found some seats to fly off the bases) or someone who has an Evenflo Discovery (when the CR report came out Evenflo went back and tested and saw it could happen on their Discoveries, and so they put out a recall). Other than that no, it's not safer to use an infant seat without the base. It's not unsafe provided the seat can be installed that way and you have a decent angle, but it's annoying.

Wendy

Pixels

Radian and TrueFit have the tallest shell and tallest top slots of any convertibles, so they will last the longest for both ERF and EH. There is a decent chance that they will get a child to booster age, but no guarantees. The EFTA is a bit shorter.

Some infant seats may have tested better (best case scenario, perfect installs) without the base, but the reality is that every seat that has a base, passed testing with the base. Using the base means that you are not reinstalling the seat, so it greatly reduces the chance for installation errors. Think of it more like you CAN install without the base if you have to, but not for everyday use. Also, most of them route the belt over the baby's lap, meaning it's difficult to install with baby in the seat, or else it's difficult to get baby in the seat once it's installed.

Mom2MyStars

If you read Amazon or BRU's reviews on carseats you'll find moms saying that Roundabouts are great and their two year olds LOVE their new booster seats. Doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. :)

Do you consider five or six EH? hehe

LMAO! Thanks! If you ask my brother, he would say you can FF an 8mo. :)

I consider EH to be as long as I can find seat that my kid can be harnessed in! Heck, I'd harness my almost 11 year old if I could!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hehe How badly do you want to harness your 11 year old? We can probably make it happen. :)

Wendy

Mom2MyStars

What do you have in mind. The 86Y? LOL BTW, she is in a Parkway.

She would be so mortified! She can pass the 5 step w/feet on the floor and knees at a right angle w/a little space at the edge when she sits in the rear of our van (but not in the capitans chairs or in our car). I think the only thing that keeps her from complaning about it is that I have sat down with her and really discussed what it means to be in a seat belt too soon and shown her pics and such. We also have one 10 year old in our troop that is in a backless.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's solid. Not as easy as the other two to install, and the rebound foot can get in the way of getting the seat in and out. Babies may not enjoy the headrest as much, and it's outgrown sooner than the other seats. I think it's more expensive, too.

I've seen I think three Companions. They're not terribly common, and if they haven't been discontinued to make way for the new infant seat they're about to be.

Wendy

Mom2MyStars

I for got to ask how long these seats have before they expire. (KeyFit, Companion, Snugride, Radian, EFTA, and True Fit.)

Any idea when the new Birtax infant seat will be out?

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Keyfit - 6 years from DOM
Companion (very hard to find now) - 6 years from DOM
SnugRide - December 6 years from DOM
Radian - 8 years from DOM
EFTA - 6 years from DOM
TrueFit - 7 years (?) from DOM

The new Britax infant seat, the Chaperone, isn't supposed to be out until July I believe.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian is eight years, the True Fit seven. The others are six.

I don't know when the new seat will be out.

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Aren't all of Compass/First Year's seats good for seven years? My Via (infant seat) also has a seven-year life.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My top 3 infant bucket choices (note, I do not LIKE infant seats but my top 3 were I to choose one at gunpoint) would be the Keyfit, Shuttle, and SR32/SS1.

My top 3 convertibles for newborns would be True Fit (preferably Premiere, with the ARB), Radian, and EFTA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC