So who will be safer where?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A 7 year old 40sih pounder in a harness/booster (mostly harness) with fully ossified bones but sitting FFing, or a RFing newborn? Who is considered the less safe in this situation? Just trying to think of where to put Piper and the baby in September. Right now we have an Audi A4 and a Nissan Xterra (currently in NC, so we only have the Audi), but I suspect when the baby comes we'll have a Honda Insight. So something the size of a Fit. We'll have a Nautilus for Piper and a True Fit for the baby. I do park on city streets at least twice a day to drop Piper and pick her up at school, and it's busy because everyone else is doing the same, but everyone else is doing the same so people drive slowly and keep their eyes open because in 10 seconds it's going to be their butt hanging out in the street.

Piper can climb out whatever door I tell her, whereas I'll need to get the baby out. I don't always park with my door to the street, though. Sometimes my door is on the curb.

That study came out a few months ago with a bunch of holes, but it said driver's side is marginally safer. If I can fit them (which I'm not expecting to in something the size of a Fit) I'd put Piper in the middle and the baby outboard, just so Piper can see out the front and won't kick my seat. I can put her behind the passenger and remove the headrest, though.

So who is safer where? Or is this a complete it doesn't matter and it's up to me?

Wendy

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd say it totally doesn't matter. I'd put them both outboard for convenience, probably.

Unless, of course, one seat or the other installed better in a center position. Then I'd put it there. :)

Pixels

I think it still goes by RFing is better protected than FFing harnessed is better protected than booster is better protected than seatbelt, and least protected child goes in the middle if possible.

Honestly, though, I don't see a TF RFing next to any other seat in a car the size of a Fit. I did 3-across in a Fit. It was BabyTrend, FFing RN, BT. There was about 1 inch between the driver's side seat and the door, with the BT and RN puzzled on that side. On the other side, there was less than an inch between the RN and BT, and also a smidge of space between that BT and the door. (The center seatbelt is off-center in the Fit).

Of course, it depends on the exact car. My Civic is generally considered larger than the Fit, but I'm not so sure about that in terms of carseat installs.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I still vote most protected child in least protected spot if it's at all feasible, hard bones or not. :twocents::)
But seriously, do what's most convenient :thumbsup:

Pixels

Oh, and a 7 year old's bones are not fully ossified. That doesn't happen until more like age 20.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I still vote most protected child in least protected spot if it's at all feasible, hard bones or not. :twocents::)
But seriously, do what's most convenient :thumbsup:

Yep! I can't imagine a Nautilus and a TF fitting next to each other in a smaller car or SUV.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks all!

Pixels, from everything that's been said here bones ossify at six and reach adult strength at 12 years. Maybe there's a bit more growth going on, but I'm not going to stress the 5% that's done between 6 and 20 versus the 95% that's done between birth and six. I don't know of too many 18 year olds running around with soft spots on their skulls.

Wendy

BW1426

Yep! I can't imagine a Nautilus and a TF fitting next to each other in a smaller car or SUV.

They won't fit next to one another in an Explorer...I do know that for sure.

I greatly prefer having E behind me. Not sure why, but I do. I've had pretty much every setup possible and I always go back to her behind me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper has rarely been behind me. First she was in the middle, then when that didn't work she was on the passenger side with the headrest off so she could see, then she went back in the middle. In Nathan's car she's behind the passenger (with the headrest up so she can see out in front). I know when I'm sitting in front of her in Nathan's car she kicks my seat, so I'd rather have her somewhere than behind me. hehe

Probably in a Fit sized car it'll have to be outboard, and we'll just see who ends up where. Thanks!

Wendy

crunchierthanthou

That study came out a few months ago with a bunch of holes, but it said driver's side is marginally safer.

what I took from that was to be more careful when turning left across oncoming traffic. that's the only thing I can imagine that would make the passenger side impacts more dangerous for all occupants- not just same side. You're talking about a harnessed 7 yo in vehicles with decent ratings (not stellar, but decent). I'm going to assume correct usage as well. ;) I'd put them wherever works best and not stress over the few percentage point difference in risk.

steph

I think both will have to go outboard in the Fit and Audi. In my A4 the Blvd in the center covered the outboard seatbelt buckles. There is no way I can see two seats sitting side by side unless maybe it's 2 Radians.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've had three across in the Audi a few times. A Marathon and Radian fit well next to one another, at least facing the same way. I think I've had a Wizard, Radian, and backless back there at least once. I can't remember now. But the baby and Piper won't be in the Audi. We'll sell it before the baby comes, I suspect. And if we haven't then we won't have the Insight since that's where the dollars for the new car are coming from. :)

Thanks!

Wendy

steph

I've had three across in the Audi a few times. A Marathon and Radian fit well next to one another, at least facing the same way. I think I've had a Wizard, Radian, and backless back there at least once. I can't remember now. But the baby and Piper won't be in the Audi. We'll sell it before the baby comes, I suspect. And if we haven't then we won't have the Insight since that's where the dollars for the new car are coming from. :)

Thanks!

Wendy

That's good to know. Do the female part of your buckles have long stalks? Mine were flush with the seat and so the base of the Boulevard covered the outboard buckles.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They were long enough that I could pull them out and get them to the appropriate seat. Though they're a PITA in that car because they do tend to be sat on. Luckily we rarely have more than one seat in there (I tried a Radian FFing, Nautilus, and Parkway back there when we shipped it out to WA, but they didn't fit at all, so the Radian went under the cargo net in the trunk and the other two just got buckled in).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC