Those with a third row........

ADS

ErinGoBragh

We have a third row in our Expedition. The second row seat flips forward to get to the third row. It is very easy to do.

emandbri

I have an 8 passenger sienna and the seats in the middle row flip so the kids can get to the back. I have Elizabeth behind me and Benjamin in the middle and the other seat empty. I had the seat out for a while so they could get the back easily but it really isn't very hard to flip up and down. Most of time it is Jacob and Daniel in the back and they can buckle themselves so I don't have to go back there.

When I only had 3 kids I took out one of the captain's chairs so the kids could get the back easily. This also allowed me to easily check to make sure that Daniel's had his seat belt on correctly when he went to a booster.

HEVY

What if you have kids in the middle row? Like a whole van filled ;) Like if you have captains seats and they are being used, you have to climb through to the middle then the back? Or if you have an 8 seater and all seats are occupied?

melniemi

When I had 3 kids, I took out one of the captain's chairs so I could easily climb in to help the boys buckle in the back. With 4 kids, the boys climb between the captain's chairs to the third row. When I had 2 rf'ers, they climbed underneath one of the seats and never thought anything of it.

I'm praying that the radian fits between their parkways and that my dd can buckle and unbuckle it herself so I don't have to climb back there to help her or to put an infant seat back there.

bobbysgirl7103

We have 2 kids in Regents in the third row.

In the second row I have a no back booster in the seat that can flip forward, RF Marathon in the middle and a Parkway on the other side.

If it's a nice day I will move the no back booster and the kids will just climb over the middle row to get to the back

On a rainy day I move the booster and slide the seat forward so they don't get wet and mud all over the seats. Although the MA makes for a tight fit for sliding the seat forward.

valleyfam

Oldest climbs under rf seat to get to the back row where he can buckle his own Regent or climbs in my door and goes thru if I have too many bags and coats in front of the rf seats. If I need to buckle kiddos back there I just stand next to the captain's chairs a lean back to buckle. On the rare occasion I have to put the rf child in the third row I put her in and out thru the hatch. Any of that make sense?:)

emandbri

What if you have kids in the middle row? Like a whole van filled ;) Like if you have captains seats and they are being used, you have to climb through to the middle then the back? Or if you have an 8 seater and all seats are occupied?

I have had all the back seats filled a few times. I arrange the car seats so that someone without car seat or a in a booster is in the seat that needs to be flipped up. When I had put a rear-facing seat in the third row I put Elizabeth in through the back hatch.

I have my van completely full most of the time(kia sedona base).

I usually put the boostered kids in the back-so much easier.

I have had 3 harnessed kids in the back who could not do or undo their harness.

I usually push the front driver seat forward all the way, then scooch on past the kid behind the driver seat(usually they kick me LOL), then down the little center aisle, to the back and kneel down(smooshed and all) and buckle everyone.

The key is to not have 2 RF in the captains chair. I have been there done that. Pain the keester. When I did have most kids RF I buckled the 3rd row kids through the back cargo area. I also put down the center console next to the driver side if It was too cold to go through the cargo area and buckle everyone.

mominabigtruck

I just pulled out one of my captains chairs although I have done it with both in and it's really not that bad to fit in between the chairs.

glockchick

My truck is full.

The kid that doesn't need a seat sits in the seat that pulls forward. Only my dd in a booster needs help being buckled so I can slide the seat forward or flip it down and lean in to help her if her brothers aren't with us. If they are, I make them buckle her. ;)

ETA:

current set up-

Middle row
driver - 2 year old in ff marathon
center - 11 month old in rf keyfit
fold down - 11 year old ds

3rd row
driver - 7 year old in turbo booster
center - 9 year old ds
passenger - 4 year old in parkway booster

Blondie87

If they are forward facing, I usually just fold down a 2nd row seat so they can get in. If I have carseats in the 2nd row I slide them in through the back and I reach from behind them and buckle. If they are rear facing it is SUPER easy to put them in from the back and buckle.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have a suburban and a regent and a lbb in the 3rd seat. If I have extras that make my second seat full, the ones in the back go over the third seat from the rear doors. I have found that much easier than having them climb over the 3 carseats in the middle row.

jdubsm

I have captain's chairs in the middle row with two Regents and then a Regent and a Parkway in the back row. My kids walk through the middle aisle which is what I do if needed. It's a squeeze for me but very doable. When my son is in the Regent in the back row, I'm able to reach across the middle row and tighten him down without having to climb into the van.

fyrfightermomma

When we have our 3rd I'm thinking I will have to put a RFer in the 3rd row. Everyone talks about putting them in through the hatch. So you just open the back hatch and climb up there and put them in? Do people look at you funny? I feel like someone may think I'm sticking her in the cargo area! lol

AtTheSouthDam

My van has two benchs and when using LATCH I can pull up the middle bench enough for a child, or a very nimble adult, to get in the back. Plus, I can then disconnect the seat belts on the middle bench enliminating the web that catches people. My full set up is two FF w/LATCH in the middle. My RF and booster/RN) in the third row. I put the RFer in through the tailgate.

Everday seat up uses two rows as well. Bethany is in the third row middle in her Regent and Ciara is in the middle of the middle row in her Como (I offered her the RN for more leg room but she doesn't want it!). The middle row is pulled forward so her seat top sticks between the driver and Passenger. This keeps the bickering down between them.

AtTheSouthDam

When we have our 3rd I'm thinking I will have to put a RFer in the 3rd row. Everyone talks about putting them in through the hatch. So you just open the back hatch and climb up there and put them in? Do people look at you funny? I feel like someone may think I'm sticking her in the cargo area! lol

Never got a funny look doing it but, yeah, I felt odd. Ciara loves it and talks to people through the rear window.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC