Question Radian VS. True Fit?

Calideedle

I just searched but couldn't really find what I was looking for...

Does anyone have pictures of their child in a Radian and in a True Fit?

My DD is currently in a Radian and a Marathon Rear Facing. I love the Radian since she has a ton of shell room but she says it hurts her back every time she is in it, the Marathon (maybe because the padding?) is fine but since she is only 29lbs/3yrs I would like some more head room and growing room. No place I have found near me carries the True Fit. I would love to try it out IRL to check out the padding and what not but it looks like that won't happen.

Is there a huge difference in shell height with the Radian vs True Fit? Top slot height? Any pictures? :D

TIA for any info!

(we are getting a Mini Van in a few days so size is not an issue anymore like it was in my Jetta)

ADS

Calideedle

That does help. Do you remember if there was a big difference in shell height? Was the True Fit more padded than the Radian? :eek:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I don't think there's a huge difference in shell height, fairly similar.

The infant padding must come out at 22lbs... with that out, I don't see a huge difference in padding either. Actually, that's when you see big gaps in the fabric because of the way the harness adjusts... it's one of the things I really don't like about the seat. It looks uncomfortable, if the child shifts they could easily work themselves inbetween the gaps in the padding to the harness adjuster... just my feeling, nothing to substantiate that. :eek:

What about the Radian is bugging her back? We have had both the regular and the premier (80) padding and I prefer the padding on the 80... a little more cushy. Maybe you just need a new cover?

zeo2ski

These are a little off I'm sure since he's not buckled in either, I was lucky to get him to even sit in them that day...you should see his face in the MA pic that was next:whistle: I don't have any measurements, sorry.
crradian.jpg

crtruefit.jpg

Installed next to each other:
crradtf.jpg

Calideedle

Thanks! There isn't a huge difference, which is good, I was just hoping the TF was ... softer?

Jen - Since I bought the Radian in May (needed for 3 across my Jetta) she has said her back hurts when it in. She has the Princess 80. I bought it brand new from Hip Monkey so I don't think it is a needing a new cover issue. She is fine in the Marathon which I have defiantly noticed is, I guess softer/not so hard. I am thinking because of the padding.

I mean it isn't a huge deal but I would like her to be more comfy ya know since the Radians shell is taller than the MA she will be in that for RFing. That is why I was looking at the TF.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Maybe it depends on the cover, but the TF compared to the Granite Radian I have is much more padded. Dd has never had any complaints in it and I don't really think it's possible for a kid to slip between the spaces meant for the harness to move up and down unless it's some sort of freak occurence or kid wiggling way more than they should be able to in a properly tightened harness. :confused: I know my dd is definitely able to complain about when she's uncomfortable at any rate, and she's been in this seat since June with no complaints and preferred it over the Radian. :shrug-shoulders:

There's a post around here somewhere with shell heights and the TF was tallest, followed by the Signo/Como, then the Radian.

The cover on the TF is more squishy than the Radian, and probably close to double the thickness if I were to guess? My Radian really doesn't have much in the way of padding and my dd never complained in it either, but the padding on the TF is definitely thicker than the Radian.

shauburg

I posted some pics of both here - True Fit vs. Radian

I think that the difference between the padding in the two of them has to do more with the plushness of the padding. The Radian 65 & 80 are both well padded and you don't feel any hard bits poking out or anything. However the padding is firmer & denser.

The padding on the True Fit is not as dense, so it is plusher and seems thicker. That combined with the shape of the True Fit means it will just cradle the child's body more.

I think it would really come down to preference - just like some adults preferring a firm mattress and others liking them softer. Neither will feel the springs of the bed, but some really want those pillow tops to sink into!

April

Maybe it depends on the cover, but the TF compared to the Granite Radian I have is much more padded. Dd has never had any complaints in it and I don't really think it's possible for a kid to slip between the spaces meant for the harness to move up and down unless it's some sort of freak occurence or kid wiggling way more than they should be able to in a properly tightened harness. :confused: I know my dd is definitely able to complain about when she's uncomfortable at any rate, and she's been in this seat since June with no complaints and preferred it over the Radian. :shrug-shoulders:

There's a post around here somewhere with shell heights and the TF was tallest, followed by the Signo/Como, then the Radian.

The cover on the TF is more squishy than the Radian, and probably close to double the thickness if I were to guess? My Radian really doesn't have much in the way of padding and my dd never complained in it either, but the padding on the TF is definitely thicker than the Radian.

My experience/opinion is exactly the same as Trudys. I have a Misty Morning TF and a Granite Radian, and I would say that the TF is more padded/soft than the Radian, without a doubt. Maybe its the Granite though since Trudy and I both think the TF is more padded. What about a Radian 65 vs 80 padding? Maybe your Radian is more padded than our Radians?

Calideedle

Thanks everyone!

It does sound like it is a bit softer, which is what I am looking for! Maybe I will just order it (or wait until the new one is available?) then I can return it if I don't like it. Or maybe I will just keep using the Radian and Marathon :scratcheshead: Since it isn't a huge deal and she will ride in it.

Thanks for all the info.

MOM25BOYS

Since she will likely still be RF I would hold out and get the newer TF. I think the ARB will help alot with trying to reach the adjuster strap and plus it is supposed to come in some cool new patterns.:love:

arly1983

Doesn't the new style radian have memory foam now or is that just the XT? Would that help? Didn't you need a 3 across in a Jetta?

Sorry, I might be thinking of someon else.

Calideedle

Since she will likely still be RF I would hold out and get the newer TF. I think the ARB will help alot with trying to reach the adjuster strap and plus it is supposed to come in some cool new patterns.:love:

Ohhhh....that sounds nice! Maybe one for her and the new baby :whistle:

When does it come out? Any pics of the new patterns?

Doesn't the new style radian have memory foam now or is that just the XT? Would that help? Didn't you need a 3 across in a Jetta?

Sorry, I might be thinking of someon else.

Yeah I saw the new one has memory foam (but I think it is just on the bottom part), I just really really dislike the girly XT print :eek:

I did need 3 across my Jetta but we are getting a Mini Van anyday now so I don't have to use it anymore. I mean I LOVE the Radian and will use it, just wanted to see how the True Fit was :D

I will keep the Radian anyway if I get the TF.

Last edited:

MOM25BOYS

Well, at first it was going to be March of '09, but I think now Learning Curve is saying April for the New ARB TF.:rolleyes: Geez, I wish they would just make up their mind, lol. I can't wait to get another one for DS5 to use. As far as patterns the blog here...http://carseatblog.com/?p=253... at the ABC show gives us some idea of what the patterns are going to be. They are towards the end in The First Years section. HTH:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC