rf EFTA on a plane? if not, what fits better?

petesamprs

Wife and I headed to spain with DD who will be 12 months at that time. We're flying economy in a continental 757-200 and have purchased a seat for DD, so the 3 of us will have the row to ourselves (I guess DD has to take my favorite window seat :().

We are planning on bringing an FAA-approved car seat with us for the trip, both for the plane and for the car we'll be renting during the trip. DD is 22 lbs and currently rf in an EFTA. Note that we are in the market for a 2nd convertible car seat for my MIL's car.

Two possibilities/questions:
1) Taking EFTA on the trip: From my numerous searches here, I've read that the EFTA does cannabilize some of the room in the adjacent seat, but I'm not concerned about that since the armrests can lift up, we have the row to ourselves and my wife and I are skinny.

HOWEVER, I've also read some cases where a rf EFTA prevents the seat in front from reclining. I consider this a problem, since while safety does come first, I would not want to be the person in front of us inconvenienced by this on an 8-hour overnight flight. Can anyone shed some light on this based on personal experience? I may end up ff her if this actually happens.

2) Taking the new convertible seat on the trip: Since I have to buy a 2nd seat anyway, is there a convertible out there that fits better rf on a plane w/o preventing the person in front from reclining? If so, we'll base our decision for the new one on this.

thanks.

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

I would purchase the Cosco Scenera which is very lightweight & comes with its own travel bag. It rf to 35lbs. and ff to 40lbs. and makes a great 2nd car seat. I would bring a noodle also though because it often needs one rf for installation :)

petesamprs

I would purchase the Cosco Scenera which is very lightweight & comes with its own travel bag. It rf to 35lbs. and ff to 40lbs. and makes a great 2nd car seat. I would bring a noodle also though because it often needs one rf for installation :)

Thanks, but will it take up less space than an EFTA when rf on a plane?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Definitely take the Scenera instead of the EFTA. It is MUCH lighter, and takes up less room width wise for sure. We've never had a problem RF'ing a Scenera on a plane.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A Scenera sits really upright on the flat seat of a plane-- a full 30 degree angle. I doubt the EFTA sits that upright on the plane, I'd choose the Scenera.

petesamprs

Thanks for the info guys. I just called Continental and was able to secure the bulkhead (with bassinet if I want to use it)...seats 8D-F if you look at the link in my OP.

Knowing that, I would think anything should be able to fit rf with nothing in front of you. I might just go all out at get a radian65 now, since that is what I've been eyeing but dreading how much space it takes when rf. I like that it folds for travel as well (despite the weight).

Thoughts?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know that even a bulkhead seat would fit the Radian, though you could try... I have used other seats there and had plenty of room, but the Radian installs SO reclined. Plus, if you fold it to carry, you have to do something with the boot for RF. I really like the Radian for travel FF, and it's what all my kids ride in on a daily basis, but when we fly this Spring I'll be bringing our Uptown for the trip for my youngest instead, because the Radian would take up so much room on the plane.

petesamprs

I don't know that even a bulkhead seat would fit the Radian, though you could try... I have used other seats there and had plenty of room, but the Radian installs SO reclined. Plus, if you fold it to carry, you have to do something with the boot for RF. I really like the Radian for travel FF, and it's what all my kids ride in on a daily basis, but when we fly this Spring I'll be bringing our Uptown for the trip for my youngest instead, because the Radian would take up so much room on the plane.

That's a great point. Maybe I bring the EFTA as planned (now with no risk of rf annoyance), and buy the Radian65 for the 2nd car and for future (ff) travels.

Tammyfh

That's a great point. Maybe I bring the EFTA as planned (now with no risk of rf annoyance), and buy the Radian65 for the 2nd car and for future (ff) travels.

I'm not sure, but all the flights I've been on the bulkhead seats do not have the moving armrests... The EFTA won't fit in the seat... I'm not 100% I've never flown in that seat since ds was born. We're currently flying with a scenera and will be going to his radian as soon as he's ff. I don't know any RF seat that's going to give the person in front of you much room. I'm sure someone knows which seats will fit at the bulkhead row

Pixels

Seatguru says the armrests are unmoveable in those seats, so the EFTA probably won't fit. At 12 months, you could FF for the plane, but that involves moving the harness up, then back down again after the flight. And your DD would probably sleep better being more reclined in a RFing seat.

New grandma

But the EFTA has the adjustment knobs. It doesn't have to be re-threaded, so FF is possible. I do think on a long flight RF would be more comfortable though.

petesamprs

You guys are right about the bulkhead seats and fixed armrests...guess i'm back to square one. So EFTA is out then in that row.

My options are:
- Get new seat that is thin enough to fit between armrests, ideally rf but even ff (radian? scenera?). Would need some first hand bulkhead experience before doing this.
- Move back to non-bulkhead row, and install EFTA ideally rf but ff as a backup
- Check in the car seat, refund DD's seat, and have her sleep in the bassinet

which would you choose?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have used the Scenera and Uptown (same shell as Avenue) both RF in a bulkhead row, they were fine with room to spare. :thumbsup: They are both pretty narrow, cheap, and come with a carry bag, which is convenient.

Pixels

A one-year-old is not likely to want to settle down to sleep in a strange "bed" (basinett) after the hubub of going through an airport. Plus, if it were me, I know I wouldn't be able to sleep for fear that she would wake up and get out of it, unless there is a really good harness in it.

You could take a Radian, RF it, and even if it won't recline fully, use it as reclined as it will go. Remove the RFing boot if necessary, and/or brace it against the bulkhead. (This is where parental decision is coming in.) I know it's not technically allowed without the boot but if it felt secure, I would use it that way.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would NOT use the Radian RF without the boot. Absolutely not.

The problem with using it "as reclined as it can be" is that it is just not safe, IMO, to have it against the wall to the point where the wall is interfering with the install-- which is concievable with the Radian.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd just take the Scenera...really. The Radian is HEAVY to lug through the airport and there is no guarantee it will fit, and we know the Scenera will work fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC