Now this is a seat with low harness straps

ADS

Maedze

Can I encourage you to look at other seats than the Embrace? Please?

:yeahthat:

They have low bottom straps, but that's about all they have going for them. The Keyfit does as well. Even the Safety First Onboard would be a better choice.

christineka

The Embrace is now allowed to be used baseless. The only problem I can think of with the Embrace is the handle and space issue. I had an Embrace and the only thing I hated about it was that I couldn't use it baseless. They've fixed that. (I have ample space front and back.)

MustangMama

The Embrace is now allowed to be used baseless. The only problem I can think of with the Embrace is the handle and space issue. I had an Embrace and the only thing I hated about it was that I couldn't use it baseless. They've fixed that. (I have ample space front and back.)

My friend had an Embrace and could not take her DS anywhere without the base.

Christineka: You are saying that they are making the seat with a seat belt slot now to use without the base? Am I understadning correctly?

I still think it is one of the worst seats ever next to the Discovery...:whistle:

Last edited:

mominabigtruck

We had the embrace when it first came out for Peyton and I kid you not we had to move the harness up to the second slot before we left the hospital:eek:

christineka

Yes, there are now belt guides on the embrace. If you go to the link the op gave, one of the features listed is belt guides for installing the seat without the base.

What is wrong with the seat besides being made by evenflo? I have not heard of any stories of it flying off its base or anything? I know the old ones have been recalled for the handle, but that isn't a "car" seat issue. (I honestly hardly ever carried my seat around.)

mominabigtruck

Yes, there are now belt guides on the embrace. If you go to the link the op gave, one of the features listed is belt guides for installing the seat without the base.

What is wrong with the seat besides being made by evenflo? I have not heard of any stories of it flying off its base or anything? I know the old ones have been recalled for the handle, but that isn't a "car" seat issue. (I honestly hardly ever carried my seat around.)

The evenflo seats flew off the base in the cs tests even at pretty low speeds.

Plus I don't know if you've ever installed a portabout but the belt guides were under the cover down by the feet, it basically installed like a convertible seat:(

HEVY

Wow, I had an Evenflo with Rachel. Am soo glad I didn't know that. I was actually thinking of getting that Portabout at KB, hoping it has at least a year on it. DD is due in 10 weeks and as much as I hate to say it I can't get an infant seat at $100 AND a convertable at whatever it will be then come 6-7 months.

MustangMama

2 of the kiddos at my daycare have had these seats and the handles DO become very flimsy. Also, the old one not allowing the seat to be used without a base was a PITA. Short top slots, but other than that, nothing. LOL :whistle:

HEVY

She is have a girl but they want a seat to match the car :rolleyes: But the infant seat is only for a few months, she wants a convertible but they have a two door and I think trying to maneuver her way with an infant in the back seat is going to be a bit difficult.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The Embrace is not a bad seat at all. We use them for NICU babies due to the low slots. My only compliant is the handle/space issues but other then that it works & installs just like a Snugride. I have no problems recommending them.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We had the embrace when it first came out for Peyton and I kid you not we had to move the harness up to the second slot before we left the hospital:eek:

Same with the portabout 5. We did leave the hospital with them in the bottom slot because we weren't sure, but I ended up moving them up when we got home.

They do fit newborn babies well. Just make sure you choose one with a front adjust harness, and that they are absolutely clear about the handle having to be down in the vehicle. Handles left up have been responsible for deaths before. :(

mominabigtruck

I think I would actually prefer that.

You would think that until you realize that it's 2 degrees out, dh forgot the base and you have to install a seat like that with a baby in it. I guess it would be fine if you wanted to use it like a convertible and never take it out but then that would kind of defeat the purpose of the infant seat wouldn't it:confused:

Honestly, though, it wasn't a horrible seat. Cause at the time a good majority of snugrides were still 3pt and there was the dreaded discovery and the designer 22. I would have no problem using one if I had to, I just wouldn't want it for everyday use unless I had multiple bases.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
1. I hate infant seats and avoid using them without the base because I don't like the way they install without the base
2. I don't see why I would have to install it with the baby in it; I would hand the baby off to whoever's car I was putting the baby seat in, that's what I do with my spare convertibles
3. We don't have 2 degree weather. ;)

All I'm saying is, different strokes for different folks. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC