Seat in outboard position tethered to center tether anchor

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Only if the vehicle manual specifically allows using the center tether anchor for an outboard installation.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The official answer is that you should use a tether anchor only for the seating position(s) specified in the owner's manual(s). The reason for this is that the longer the strap length to reach the anchor and the greater the angle of the strap from center, the less effective the top tether will be. Testing is not usually done to make sure that a top tether would perform to specifications if it is used from a seating position other than the recommended one.

Unofficially, another point of view is that there is no disadvantage to doing this, as long as only one top tether is connected to the anchor. While there is less benefit to using a tether in this manner, it might still be better than no top tether at all.

The best practice solution would be to try to configure your seats in a way that all the restraints that require a top tether are in a position that has one. If one is not available, you may be able to get one installed at your dealer. If you can tell us the model and year of your vehicle and your seating arrangement, we may be able to help!

mommie2m&r

I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla, dd rides outboard on the passenger side in the Frontier and ds rides outboard on the driver side in a Britax Parkway booster. When I had the tether anchor installed in the car I had the dealer install it and asked to have it put behind dd seat and they instead put it in the center position. It is the only tether anchor in the car and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get them to move it, which would leave a hole, or if I could just leave it and use it where it is.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they move it I think there is some fiberboard stuff they can glue under it to cover the hole. Or, you can ask for a second anchor, if they'll do that instead.

It would definitely be better to get the anchor put directly behind it, if possible.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I would pursue having an outboard tether anchor retrofitted, either by having the dealership install another tether anchor, or possibly moving the tether anchor from the center to the outboard location if that can be done without stripping the tether bolt or otherwise compromising the tether anchor's integrity. There's also a reduced cost ($5 per tether anchor) retrofit program for Toyota owners through Safety Belt Safe USA that could possibly help you out for retrofitting an additional tether anchor - details of the program are at http://www.carseat.org/Events_Media/0_ToyotaIP.htm :thumbsup:

Pixels

Depending on the exact scenario, you might be able to get them to add the outboard anchor for free. If you specifically asked for it in the outboard position (especially if you did so in writing), and they put it in the center anyway, that would be grounds to protest it. Since they put a hole where they weren't supposed to, and you understandably object to the hole being there if there is no tether anchor in it, tell them that you want them to (1) install the tether anchor outboard where you originally told them to do it, and (2) either leave the existing TA in the center, or repair the hole so that it is not visible. They will have to replace the rear deck to do that, so they won't, they'll just install another TA outboard and leave the existing one center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC