Which seat should I get?

NotJUSTamom

Having six kids, most people think I have a million car seats just sitting around (which, ok 15 car seats IS a bit much :whistle: haha!) But, each seat has a purpose.. I need a car seat for Mackenzie (she is in pre-school 3 days a week and goes home with her friend twice a week after school to give mommy a break!! :)) I need a seat for her that is 1. safe 2. best for travel (easy install) but, 3. I simply do not have the $ to spend on another Radian, plus they are one heck of an install and don't even work in all cars. I have never had any expierence with a marathon ( I heard they were an easy install but, again the $$$!!!So what seat to buy that is reasonably priced for her? The mother who is taking her twice a week is actually good with car seats. She has her 4yo in a Apex 65 and it's a good install so I trust her with knowing how to use the car seat correctly.. Oh, and this seat will stay in her friends car until the end of the year or if it need s to be take out ever. Oh, and this might help LOL Mac is 38.5in and 33.5 lbs! Fianlly gained 1/2lb!! :)

Last edited:
ADS
U

Unregistered

I would get her a booster seat..At her age and height she should be ok in one. Or if you are one of those parents who harness longer, then maybe a Graco seat.

NotJUSTamom

Thanks, I have two of them actually and they are in use in other cars. I was looking for possibly something cheeper..I know that sounds TERRBILE but we are on a tight budget!!

scatterbunny

3.5yo and 33 pounds? I wouldn't stress about not being able to afford a Nautilus, then, and you could go with something like a Graco CarGo or Evenflo Generations or Evenflo Chase. These have reasonably tall top slots and 40# harnessed weight limits. They convert to boosters, too, but the fit is questionable for many kids in these combo seats used as boosters. Still, they're cheaper than the Nautilus, and have tall enough top slots to harness most kids to 40 pounds. Your child is old enough that she'll probably make it to 4.5-5 in the harness, which is okay to move to a booster, as long as she is mature enough to sit properly at all times.

If your vehicle has tall seatbacks and/or headrests, you could also consider the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex. It harnesses to 65#, but has shorter top slots than the Nautilus, so it won't last as long heightwise. It requires vehicle head support at least to the tips of the child's ears, though, and it's a super-wide seat.

Blondie87

I would get her a booster seat..At her age and height she should be ok in one. Or if you are one of those parents who harness longer, then maybe a Graco seat.

Definately not a booster. It is not safe for a 3-4 year old to be in a booster.

I would say a Nautilus too.. lol. I can't see you getting too much cheaper than that. Plus they are sooo easy to install, which you know because you have 2. ;) You can always get one online to make it a lil cheaper than in the store. I don't have any other ideas...

Maedze

Actually Mackensie is only 3 and 33 lbs which means she isn't even close to the bare minimums for a booster.

OP if you think the mom is good with the Apex65, why not get another one for your dd?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Actually Mackensie is only 3 and 33 lbs which means she isn't even close to the bare minimums for a booster.

You know that most boosters have minimums of 30 pounds/38 inches or 1 year and 30 pounds, right? (though a few are now 40 pounds, and some are 33) Technically she's plenty big for a booster. I'm not saying I condone it, but I think we do need to at least be truthful while we educate. :twocents::)

NotJUSTamom

You know that most boosters have minimums of 30 pounds/38 inches or 1 year and 30 pounds, right? (though a few are now 40 pounds, and some are 33) Technically she's plenty big for a booster. I'm not saying I condone it, but I think we do need to at least be truthful while we educate. :twocents::)

You can put a baby in a booster at one year and 30lbs? I thought it was 3 yrs?? :confused:

mum2two

I have an Apex, it's the seat that rarely gets used, not a huge fan, for the difference in price I'd go for a Nautilus if you can swing it.

NotJUSTamom

OP if you think the mom is good with the Apex65, why not get another one for your dd?

I guess I never thought about that (children drain me of brain cells :)) LOL..that is a good option!

emandbri

I would get a cargo. I wouldn't use it as a booster but since you have other kids to hand it down to you won't ever need to. I would get it over an evenflo since it has energy absorbing foam. If she was heavier I would get a nautilus but at 33 lbs she will fit a long time in a cargo.

There are manufacturers minimum guidelines on when a child can use a booster and there is this board's minimum guidelines. Until manufatures see the light they are not the same. :whistle:

NotJUSTamom

I have an Apex, it's the seat that rarely gets used, not a huge fan, for the difference in price I'd go for a Nautilus if you can swing it.

I am going to try and convience DH for another Nauti..but we are super crunched for money rightnow and the apex is a decent option for what it is going to be used for.I honeslty don't trust that seat for a larger child (50lbs and up) it just doesn't look strong enough..but I could be really wrong..however for Mac's size it's probably fine.
:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I honeslty don't trust that seat for a larger child (50lbs and up) it just doesn't look strong enough..but I could be really wrong..however for Mac's size it's probably fine.
:)

I wouldn't worry about it for even a heavier child, personally. I do have faith that Graco has taken the steps necessary to ensure the seat is safe to the full 65 pound weight limit or they would not have put it on the market.

How about an Evenflo Chase? $60, tall top slots, EPS foam....

Maedze

I wasn't trying to lie :confused:

We tell everyone bare minimum is 4 and 40 regardless of the manufacturer's claim right? 4 and 40 isn't even best practice, it's bare minimum i thought.

NannyMom

I wasn't trying to lie :confused:

We tell everyone bare minimum is 4 and 40 regardless of the manufacturer's claim right? 4 and 40 isn't even best practice, it's bare minimum i thought.

Yes, to us 4 and 40 is bare minimum. But to the rest of the world bare minimum is whatever the manufacturer says :)

I think you and Jools we thinking of different 'bare minimums' :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC