RF front seat

Lenae

My husband has volunteered to drive my fathers pickup truck across the state to him, and then he'll fly home. I would really love to go on this trip and get back to that side of the state for a while, but DS's SS1 only fits in the front seat. It does not have passenger side airbags. Is it a terrible idea to do this? :confused:

ADS

BW1426

No, it's not the ideal option. I'm assuming a pickup without airbags is pretty old which would imply that it's safety ratings are not nearly those of vehicles today. I'd probably dwell over crash ratings and the length of the trip and make my decision from there. What year and model of pick up is it and how far are you traveling? And, why won't his SS1 fit anywhere else?

Lenae

It's a '92 Chevy 3/4 ton. The trip is about 5 1/2 hours with all the stops we make. His car seat just absolutely does not fit in the back seat. My sister told me to just put him FF in the back for the trip, but I am so NOT okay with that. He's only ten months old, and I'd rather him be in the front seat RF without airbags, than the back seat FF. I have tried before to move the front seat (which is a bench seat) all the way forward, and all the way upright, but it just doesn't fit. The back seat seems to be almost an after thought in that truck. If it's not worth chancing it, I won't. But if it's all right, and just not WONDERFULLY safe, I might still go. I dunno. WWYD?

BW1426

My only other concern. Can the carseat go in the middle and still allow DH to comfortably drive so that you can use the lap shoulder belt. I know in some instances a car seat RFing in the center seat rubs on the steering wheel.

Lenae

Actually, it fits quite well in the middle. We've done it before on shorter trips, and we had no rubbing of the steering wheel and car seat, and DH didn't even complain about elbow room (he doesn't even like me to sit next to him on bench seats because he has no elbow room, the big baby). The SS1 is about two inches from the edge of the bench seat, so it gives DH plenty of room, and isn't too close to the steering wheel.

mykidsmylife

I have had to do this in my FIL truck. I could not get Seths back-up carseats installed on the bench seat in the rear. He had a snugride no base and a tribute.
I had to put him in the front with airbag off. I felt comfortable doing it knowing he was safer in a properly installed carseat.

finn

I would put him in the front rf and be ok with it. It seems like a shame to miss out on a trip because the car seat wont fit in the back.

mommy-medic

The bare minimum to FF is 12 months and 20 lbs, so that is out of the question. Will his seat fit in the back without the base? Sometimes that can buy you a few more inches. Aslo, I agree with the PP that suggested a scenera- convertibles usually take up less room than infant seats because they can be installed a bit more upright. (Usually babies R us will let you do a test fit in your vehicle if you leave your driver's license at cust service.- not sure if BRU even carries a scenera, but it would be worth a shot).

Is there another vehicle you could take? Just exploring options.

Lenae

I will try the Scenera. My grandparents have one they use for my nephew and my son when they babysit. His head control is great, and I'm positive he'd be fine more upright. I wish there were another vehicle to drive, but the whole reason for the trip is to get the truck across the state. DH is driving it for my father because he can't take time off to get it over there. I tried the SS1 without the base, and while it was smaller, it still just did not fit. Thanks for the suggestion about the Scenera. I'll give it a shot.

horsesitaly

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure I'd put it in the center, I don't know how far the driver's side air bag might reach. Does the manual specify anything about rf child restraints in the center of the front? I assume if the car seat is in the front, you will be in the back with a lap/shoulder belt?

Lenae

I could put him outboard and either ride in the back or in the center, or I could put him in the center and ride next to him or in the back. I just assumed it would be safer in the center of the front, like it would be safer in the center of the back, but I never thought about the driver side airbag. I'll run and check the manual.

BW1426

You need to be riding in a position with a lap shoulder belt.

I agree, if there is a driver's side air bag I'd want him on the passenger side and you in the back.

Or if you wanted to run out and try a True Fit--I'd think you'd have the best chances of that fitting in the back since it doesn't need the headrest until 22 lbs.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Is there a fold down console in the center front? I was always able to put a rfing seat in the back center of my parents old f-150 because the front center folded down and the car seat went over it.

Lenae

I wish I could get a True Fit, but the funds just aren't there. Times are not so good right now. And there isn't a fold down console, it's a bench seat. I checked the manual, and there isn't anything in it about a RF car seat in the center of the front seat at all. I also took DS's seat out and checked and there is about four inches between the steering wheel and the car seat without the base. I can check with the base later today.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
In my class, they stated that the driver air bag was for the driver and middle passenger. Double check yours.

mommy-medic

Had another idea worth asking about. You said the front seat is a bench seat, but is it split? Does the passenger side fold down to have access to the back? If so, an option might be to fold down the passenger seat and put the SSI in the back. You would have to ride in the back too and that might not work, but was worth throwing out there.

I agree about the driver's airbag being dangerous to the center passenger in the front. Airbags come out with extreme force and if it catches any part of the seat it will fling it face-first into the vehicle seat back. If you have to put it up front, I would think that taking chances with a lateral impact would be safer than chancing the airbag. Either way its a toss up.

Kat_Momof3

if the backseat has a shoulderbelt for you, I'd put baby rf in the front passenger seat and have you sit in the backseat.

I wouldn't have expected a 92 to have a driver's side airbag... check to make sure it does... because I would assume it doesn't.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC