RF front seat

Lenae

I still haven't found anything in the manual about the airbags, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I can put him outboard and I will ride in the back seat, if I can't get the Scenera to fit. I still haven't tried it yet, but hopefully I'll be able to get to it today.

ADS

NannyMom

If it does have an airbag it will tell you so in the manual and in the vehicle. There will be some marking where the airbag is. Is there anything written on the steering wheel?

Lenae

The only thing written on the steering wheel is "Chevrolet". I'm thinking maybe it doesn't even have air bags at all. It's like the bare bones edition of the 1992 three quarter ton. If it doesn't have a driver side airbag, could I put DS in the middle, ad sit next to him? That for me would be ideal (aside from getting him in the back seat).

canadiangie

Yes, if you can verify that this truck does Not have a drivers side airbag then you Can put him in the front middle seating position.

There was a study done a while back about the risks associated with the backseat of many trucks. Not enough front to back room... not enough of a crumple zone so to speak. So while it's far from ideal to have him in the front seat, I'd sooner have him there than squished in the back (SS1, rf Scenera or otherwise). I also have concerns about an untethered rf seat (such as the Scenera) rebounding into the glass of the the backseat during a collision).

Now if you aren't able to put him in the front middle seating position due to the truck having a drivers side airbag, and you're forced to install the seat outboard, you need to make sure you're then in the backseat with a lap/shoulder belt and (if possible) the head rest raised up behind your head. It is not safe for you to use a lap-only belt. Which takes me to my next question, does the backseat have lap/shoulder belts?? (or just lap-only?)

solmama

I know this might seem odd, but could you follow in a different vehicle and then all drive back together? That way you don't have to be concerned about which seat to use or if the truck has airbags.

Lenae

Okay, many answers. There are no airbags in this truck at all. The seat isn't a split bench seat, the back just leans forward and the whole seat slides forward for access to the back. I tried to get the Scenera in the back, and it totally didn't work. It was not only not reclined at all, it was actually tipped forward a bit. We actually thought about taking one of our cars, and just driving that back, but gas would kill us (my father is paying for the gas for the truck and we're flying home with air line miles. I doubt he'd pay for the gas for another car there and back. If it wasn't a money issue, that's what we'd do. I think since there are no airbags, I'll put DS in the middle, and I'll sit outboard in the front. It's not even too tight a squeeze that way, so we should be fine. Thanks for the help.

Kat_Momof3

Okay, many answers. There are no airbags in this truck at all. The seat isn't a split bench seat, the back just leans forward and the whole seat slides forward for access to the back. I tried to get the Scenera in the back, and it totally didn't work. It was not only not reclined at all, it was actually tipped forward a bit. We actually thought about taking one of our cars, and just driving that back, but gas would kill us (my father is paying for the gas for the truck and we're flying home with air line miles. I doubt he'd pay for the gas for another car there and back. If it wasn't a money issue, that's what we'd do. I think since there are no airbags, I'll put DS in the middle, and I'll sit outboard in the front. It's not even too tight a squeeze that way, so we should be fine. Thanks for the help.

I knew it!! I was so sure it would not have any airbags.

since there are no airbags, I'd be fine with him in the middle front.

Besides, it's a one-time trip...

I'd rather him rearfacing in front than ff in back anyday.

And I totally get about the gas prices (besides, I figured your flight back was booked already)

my fil has a truck that is about that age (yes, it's still kicking) that is a single cab and it has ELR belts in front for the driver and passenger side (and the typical lap only belt that locks in the middle), which is what the law required... they didn't require both until later, and trucks were exempt from airbags required until 95.

(I checked Wikepedia)

I've had to put one of the boys in that truck in the middle before... and, as a treat, they have been allowed to (with the proper seat) ride in the passenger seat with their granpap when he visited.

I think you just have to weigh the risks and benefits.

for my kids, going up two blocks to get a special trip with just grandpap (which never happened before then, when they were 5 and 6) up to the hardware store knowing they would be properly restrained in their boosters outweighed the risk of getting in a crash, which could happen in any scenario.

Since their were no airbags, I was fine with it.

Since my nephew came to live with them, the ILs don't bring the truck anymore and instead used a station wagon and now a van, but my boys still remember those little trips and what fun was had (someone would take that time to spoil them with a candy treat and a soda, too)

J-max

CPST Instructor
We had a 91 Chevy Standard cab (same body style) when dd#1 was born and had a rf SR and Evenflo Medallion in the middle. It installed really easy, just FYI :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC