Buying new lower tethers

BCsymmes

I am looking at buying new tethers, as the ones i have right now are not situated with the adjuster on the outboard side. I will need one for both passenger and driver side for FF car seats

I am assuming that it's not the safest thing to have to twist the tether in order to have the actual hook facing the right directions or to get the adjuster facing out, right?

Where does one buy new tethers, and i would love one with a long clip (or what ever you all it that attacheds to the lower anchor) as the anchors in our HHR was REALLY deeply set back

We have 2 radians for our primary van, and then a AOE (RF) and Evenflow Traditions (FF) for DC and Second Car.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
As long as the strap is straight, it is fine. The little conector strap is only there to make sure you don't loose it.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I am looking at buying new tethers...

You mean the belt that attaches the seat to the lower anchors, right?

They can only be replaced through the manufacturer of the seat and you should only use the straps that are meant for the seat you're using (don't switch them around.) In some cases, the belts may not even be replaceable (but I'm not sure on that point.) Unfortunately, you'll likely find that any replacement belt will be the same as the belts you already have (adjuster on the wrong side of where you need it.)

When tightening the seats, do you pull the LATCH belt tail THROUGH the carseat cover (rather than pulling from beside the carseat, outside the shell.) If you do that, you'll probably find it makes it a lot easier, and it won't matter so much what side the adjuster's on.

HTH! :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'm not quite certain that I know what you are talking about. The tether is at the top of seat that attaches to the vehicle. Here is a picture:
img8.gif

What the tether looks like installed:
img6.gif

The UAS/LATCH anchors which aren't replacable:
img5.gif

The Transport Canada has some more information on this topic.

What kind of vehicle are you referring to? Which seating positions do you have your seats? What kind of seats (ie. bench, captain etc.)?

ETA: After re-reading your question a couple of times is there a chance that the loop part (the part that connects to both sides of the RN) of the tether has a twist in it?

BCsymmes

I mean the "strap" that attaches to the lower UAS/LATCH anchors. Yes i know those are fixed and can not be moved.

Oh primary van is a 2001 windstar, with the 3 seat bench placed in the second row.
we have 2 Radian, one for Older DS is driver side FF, and i move that seat often, depending on if we have a little friend with us or not. The none adjustable side in on the inside anchor, and the adjustable side is on the outside, But if i put the hock right side up, the adjuster/this to tighten the strap is actually facing inward, so it's tough to tighten. Yes i know about pulling it up threw the cover, and yes i apply my full weight to the seat while tightening.

mommycat

Agreed--the straps are flipped a full 180 degrees, just flip them back.
If what I am reading into the question is right, this will put the hooks upside-down.

OP, if that did not work, then...
I get the feeling that you may have the strap in the belt path the "wrong" way. Trying to explain this without a visual can get very confusing since everyone uses the same terms to describe slightly different problems. I *think* you are saying that when your hooks are right-side up on the anchors, the sliding adjuster is facing into the carseat. If this is the issue, then re-threading the UAS strap so that the sliding adjuster is on the opposite side of the seat should fix the problem.

Is this what you meant?

BCsymmes

Thank you Mommycat, you explained it perfectly, and your photo is also the UAS strap that we use!!!

The problem is that due to some shoulder injuries, i find it VERY VERY hard to tighten the strap when it's on the opposite side, i need one that sits on the left side of the strap, as my son's sits on the drivers side. I need to be able to easily tighten it, without having to reach over the entire seat while putting my whole body weight on the seat.

So am i to understand that stores do not sell UAS strap on their own? would i have to order one thru Sunshine Kids?

mommycat

As far as I know, you would need to order directly from Sunshine Kids. Also, I am not sure that they would have any straps which are opposite to the usual arrangement since these things tend to be mass produced. However, it is worth a call (or email to Russ) with your specific needs explained and maybe they could accomodate you.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in, but I would not put the hooks on inside-out, as it were. I would worry that in a collision some part of the seat may press on the release button, unlocking the seat from the anchors. Also, as you say, it becomes extremely difficult to tighten properly when the adjuster is upside-down.

Is this issue on a RF seat or a FF seat? Maybe we can come up with some tips to help you do the installation from a different angle in the meantime, or if no suitable solution becomes available. Have you tried using the seatbelt to install instead? This is sometimes tricky, but at some point you will need to use the seatbelt anyway, once you reach the limit for the lower anchors, so it may also be an option.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have two herniated discs in my back, so any install is a tough install for me. You learn tricks, depending on your vehicle and your seat, to make it work.

I kneel in my FF seats and adjust the straps that way, because it requires minimal force as my body weight is doing most of the work. You could do this, as well, and tighten each strap one at a time with the good shoulder by shifting your body 90 degrees.

For RF, I would suggest bringing the LATCH straps back up through the slit in the cover and exposing it within that leg area of the seat, and then tightening from the opposite side of the seat. That way the strap is almost as exposed as if it were on your side. If you can recline the seatback of the vehicle seat the CR is on at that same time, you won't need as much force and can then force the vehicle seat back into position after you've tightened.

Also for RF, you could install the seat from the opposite side by climbing inside the vehicle itself and then tightening the seat from there. If you have two or more seats to do, install the most difficult one in that manner and go from there.

I live with chronic pain as a result of my injury. I can't pick up my kids, or even their toys for that matter. I can't bend over without pain, I can't rotate my body without pain.. but some of the tricks I use when installing seats really help save me from experiencing any additional pain as a result of doing checks. I've checked 20 seats in a day with very little extra pain. It's brawn or brains--I choose brains. Just use all the tricks in the book when installing and make it work for you.

The other suggestion I would make is this--ask the manufacturers of your specific seats whether or not they still have any generic LATCH straps. These are the slip adjuster ones, that look like a seatbelt buckle. They were provided as LATCH retrofits waaay back, and some manufacturers may have them and approve them for use. I suppose you never know.

-Nicole.

Mara1973

Sounds like the lower anchor strap is not feeding through the seat properly, you can pull it out and feed it through. On the Radian, the tail to pull tight will be in the left hand side of the seat when you are facing it to install. So on the Driver side FF like you mentioned, it should be on the inside of the vehicle when fed through properly.

Mara :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC