Nissan Rogue vs. Versa

Which vehicle should we buy?

• Total voters

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We're debating which one to get. We are done having kids (officially) and since we are now a permanent 4 person family, we are thinking the van is just too much for us... especially when you consider gas prices. So we went shopping for a new vehicle.

I really like sitting up higher in the van and I do think that cargo space would be nice, but the cost of the Versa is quite a bit cheaper and the gas mileage is even nicer.

Our other car is an '07 MazdaSpeed3, which is why I'm thinking it might still be nice to have a bigger vehicle around in case we want to haul bigger things (for camping/road trips).

We have a budget of 30K - 32K, with any left over money going to pay off/down credit card or student loans.

So help me decide...

Rogue (small SUV) http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/suv/rogue/en/
gas mileage (31 cty/ 39 hwy)
cost - 28K

Versa (small car with ginormous back seat... seriously I could probably rear face the Radian in this thing)
http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/cars/versa/hatchback/en/
gas mileage (38 cty/ 47 hwy)
cost - 22K

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I looked into the Rogue to replace our Tribute, and did find that compared to most of the other small SUVs out there it's $$ for what you get.. By the time you add leather and all the bells and whistles, it's approaching luxury car prices. I do love it, though.. and I suspect going from a minivan to a compact CAR might drive you nutty :) Are you stuck on Nissan?

-Nicole.

southpawboston

i voted versa, just because i'm pro hatchback, pro fuel efficiency, and anti-SUV. :)

by the way, how do you arrive at those numbers? they're definitely not miles per US gallon!!! KPG, perhaps? that would translate to 29 MPG highway for the versa and 24 MPG highway for the rogue.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
They are the posted CDN mpg numbers and yes, I realize they are completely different than the US numbers... not sure which one's are more on track with real life, but I used the posted CDN numbers.

We wouldn't be adding leather to the Rogue (don't really care whether I have it or not) so the posted price's are the price's we'd pay to get each vehicle.

We're not stuck on Nissan, but after the quick look on lots this afternoon/evening and the online research we've done, they are the front runner (in looks/ gas mileage/ price).

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
isn't gas mileage calculated as liters per 100km in canada?

They do both... it's 7.2 L/100km (39 CDN mpg) for hwy and 9.1 L/100km (31 CDN mpg) for cty. They know that some of us are still stuck doing it the old way. We've really only gone by L/100km in the past 6 years or so... I grew up knowing mpg. :)

I didn't think it was possible, but using a conversion calculator I found online... 7.2 L/100km translates to 39 CDN mpg which translates to 32.6 US mpg... which means the US website is either using a conservative number at 27 US mpg or Canada is padding the numbers. ;)

I'm inclined to think that I could get around 8 L/100km (35 CDN mpg = 29.4 US mpg). I based this on the posted CDN numbers for our van (8.4cty/12hwy where I get about 10.5 combined) and adjusted the same for this vehicle (7.2 - 9.1), so roughly 8 L/100km.

NVMBR02

i voted versa, just because i'm pro hatchback, pro fuel efficiency, and anti-SUV. :)

Me too! Although we are considering selling my beloved VW Golf for a smallish station wagon or larger hatchback if we decide not to have more children. If we have one more we will probably squeeze in the golf for as long as possible then figure out what to do at that time (hoping for better options!)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Maybe the Canadian numbers are using the old fuel mileage calculations? For '08 they've changed to a more accurate method. This web site has the new method http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and you can view in imperial or metric. For pre '08 models you can view gas mileage both the old and new way.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd go for the Rogue because you can get an AWD version which I think is great for our crazy winters. Plus, with the towing package you can tow up to 1500# which means that you could tow a small utility trailer to bring home renovating supplies, gardening stuff, furniture. It's not something you'll likely do all the time, but personally, I love having the option.

essnce629

I voted for the Versa just because we test drove it recently and I'm also anti-SUV. We're looking for a car for my boyfriend to get in the next year (trading in his Subaru Impreza w/ tiny backseat). We also need it to fit two kids and get good gas mileage. So far the Versa is our #1 pick. The backseat is HUGE and easily fit two carseats (one ff'ing one rf'ing). And since the backseat is so big (TONS of legroom) it's super easy to get in there and install carseats. I put our Boulevard in there rf'ing on the passenger's side and there was still a ton of legroom for the front passenger and the BV didn't even need to touch the seat in front of it. It drove really well (we tried out the manual version) and it get's excellent safety ratings. I thought the trunk space was adequate.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Make sure you get the safest car you can afford, either way :love:

I find that driving a bubble shaped car is as nice as driving a minivan or SUV (so our old tallish Echo/Prius was way more upright than my mom's low rider Volvo sedan), so I don't think you'll miss that upright feeling (Those Nissans are pretty high-looking).

DO consider kids bringing friends along... an extra seat or two can be awfully nice for that (my neighbor with two kids out of boosters drives a brand new Expedition for that reason...I think THAT's a bit extreme :whistle:)

southpawboston

Maybe the Canadian numbers are using the old fuel mileage calculations? For '08 they've changed to a more accurate method. This web site has the new method http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and you can view in imperial or metric. For pre '08 models you can view gas mileage both the old and new way.

right. different testing methods. the old (2007) US EPS methods give higher numbers, but were overly optimistic. the revised 2008 method results in about 10% lower figures but those are supposedly more "realistic".

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We took the Rogue out for a test drive today and I just can't do it... I *really* like the space in my van. Plus we have the DVD player and this is going to sound stupid, but all the moms who do drive thru's with 5 kids screaming in the background on a cold day will know what I mean... I don't want to give up my auto up on my window. :eek:

Plus, like Julie said, I still cart around my kids friend's and my friend's kids, so extra seating is nice. We'll just suck up the gas bill for another few years and see where we go.

Plus... I bought a Frontier on the spur of the moment today and that will *never* fit three across in the vehicles we were looking at. :D Pics in this thread if your interested...http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=50306

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC