Booster recommendation please

BudgieStew

My Aunt is looking for a new booster for her 7 year old son.

She likes the option of a LATCHABLE booster so was looking at the Clek but would really like a high back booster.
She bought the Compass high back folding adjustable booster last night but would like some second opinions before using it.

So she is looking for an affordable high back booster for a tallish 7 year old. The car is newer model Toyota Corolla and my cousin is outboard. They are in the Ottawa area and I think something available in store would be preferred.

I looked at the list above but since I have no real life experience with boosters am hesitant to make my own suggestions.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Compass booster we have available up here is the B505 and is not very tall.

I'd look at the Graco AirBooster, Evenflo Confidence or if she's got time to wait and wants Latchable, the Sunshine Kids Monterey has been pushed back to September.

BudgieStew

Great. Thanks

Any reason why the Parkway would not be a good option in this case or simply because it is not easily available anymore.

Would TRU still be selling it in store or was it a special order?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We *love* our Parkway... I just don't recommend them anymore because they have been discontinued and seem to be hard to find. If she can find a Parkway, that would go to the top of my list if she can't wait for the Monterey. Even if the Parkway is a year old already, that's 5 years to expiry and at 7 years old, her son shouldn't need the extra year.

You *may* find the Parkway in TRU (I got mine in store).

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
With the Parkway gone, and the problems people have had with the AirBooster, I'm going to go back to my old recommendation of the Graco TurboBooster until I can look at the Monterey. While the Turbo isn't as tall as some of the other boosters on the market, it's inexpensive, simple, and it can be used without the back once kids no longer need the additional support of a full back. The Turbo also has the added advantage that you can get it just about anywhere.

If the Monterey is as wonderful as we're expecting, then the Turbo can always be used in a second car or as a spare booster later. :) So, another seat to add to the list of possible options...

-Nicole.

QuassEE

I'm going to ask Heather to comment on this, since she has first-hand experience with the AB.

-Nicole.

Aprilmom

I recently got 2 Evenflo Confidence boosters (one for my 9 yo and one for my almost 10 yo nephew). They both love them and have plenty of room to grow! I got them for about $60 each at Toys r us.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I found Heather's review and saw the issue she is talking about with respect to the lap belt getting caught between the bottom portion of the booster and the mesh seat.

I think this may be a vehicle specific issue though... I recommended another family get this booster (Graco Airbooster) and they just came by to show it to me. It is in the 3rd row of an '08 Grand Caravan and there is no concern of the lap belt getting caught the way it did in Heather's photos.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the Airbooster in this vehicle. I know the boy using it is super happy with it. He's gone from a backless booster to the Airbooster (6 years old) and his parents are getting a Frontier (to replace their AO) as soon as it comes out for his little brother (3 yo). I can't wait to play with their Frontier! :)

QuassEE

I can't remember if Heather had this problem after the review, but I know a number of people had problems with their backs falling. I am not sure if the "problem" was resolved in later runs of the seat and this was just a problem with the first batches or what...? I shy away pretty easily from seats that have had design flaws.. No idea how I ended up with four Frontiers, considering this.

-Nicole.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My ears are burning :D. AirBooster, AirBooster . . . we haven't used it in so long now, I can't remember what the other problem was we were having with it. The back falling got really annoying for sure. I was glad when the Clek Olli showed up--love it!

The Parkway would be the best one to get, but they are super scarce, even here. Adjusts high, but not a lot of thigh support. I never liked how my ds's thighs looked like they were just hanging off the edge of the seat, even though he didn't complain.

We liked our Compass B500 (predecessor to the B505). It just was too short for ds and he outgrew it. It was a good solid booster for us and we never had any problems with it.

We're also liking the Monterey (geez, I sound like some kind of booster connoisseur!). It fits ds well and is comfy, but the LATCH straps are crazy short and once they get lost inside the seat, they're tough to get back out to hook onto the vehicle's LATCH anchors.

HTH!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Thanks... I'll get them to keep an eye on the back problem. So far, no issues.

They were waiting for the Monterey to come out, but it keeps getting pushed back and they are taking a long road trip in a week and *need* the high back booster for that (he's a car sleeper). Parkways are next to impossible to find and J is a bigger kid at 6 (more the size of a 7/8 year old), so the Parkway would be too constricting for him (he sat in ours).

BudgieStew

Just a small update, my Aunt and Uncle tried my 7 year old cousin in the booster they had bought earlier in the week and did see that he would outgrow it by the end of the summer.

So they ordered the Apex for their 7 year old and 5 year old (on sale at Sears this week)as they really want my 7 year old cousin to be harnessed again and they realized that the 5 year olds car seat was expiring soon.

Both my Aunt and Uncle were very interested in the Frontier(in fact I did not even mention it by name to them just that Britax had come out with a combo seat as I never dreamed they wanted to re harness and they found it on their own) but the price tag is a bit steep.

I mentioned to be sure and read the manual especially in regard to the headrest and to check the crotch strap.

I did tell them about the Nautilus and told my Aunt that it might be here by the end of the year(hear that Graco... another customer lost because you haven't brought the seat here quick enough)

She is hoping that Apex works for the 7 year old..the 5 year old should be fine since she only weighs 30lbs.
:thumbsup:

canadiangie

I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe you mention the 7y/o's torso height?? Is it really less than 17"?? If so, wow, that's awesome. Same goes for the 5y/o, he's also under the top 17" top slots?

BTW... How much is the Apex on for this week?? (my mom needs a new grandkid seat).

BudgieStew

I never mentioned the torso height...my Aunt did not give it to me.

I told her how to measure it though. The Apex is supposed to be around 17 inches top harness height and the Frontier is 18 inches, not much of a difference. 17 inches is the same as the Marathon no? and plenty of kids still fit in that at when they are older.
But is it wrong to hope that the Apex does not work for them so they have to get a Frontier and then I get to play with it .:eek: Nah If it works them that is great.
I have no doubt my 5 year old cousin will be able to use the Apex.

canadiangie

Yep, some short torso'd kids do last in the MA past age 6. Not too many I'd say, but some do.

Yes, the Apex and MA have the same top slots. 17" give or take.

No, it's not wrong for you to want to play with the Frontier. What is wrong is how long Graco is taking to get the more budget friendly (and user friendly -- than the Apex) Nautilus up here.

Poopy Graco. :thumbsdown:

April

Just for reference, you may want to read my recent thread "apex vs. Frontier" in the car seat forum.(Can't link, posting from my Blackberry) My 22 month old just moved up to the top slots on his Apex and he's on the FOURTH from the top on the Frontier. I really can't see a 7 year old being able to be harnessed in an Apex unless he is very very short torsoed.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I kind of highly doubt a 7 yr old would fit in the Apex as well, unless he really has a short torso.

My tall 6 year old has tried most of our seats out here. He's 47" tall with a 16.5 - 17" torso and weighs 39lbs.

From shortest to tallest...
Safety 1st Apex (outgrown and I found the harness adjuster only had 2" of harness strap left over when buckled up)
Britax Marathon/Evenflo EFTA/Compass TruFit (dead even to just over top slots)
SKJP Radian (still an inch to go before he reaches top slots)
Britax Frontier (still two inches to go before he reaches top slots)

I have picks of the Frontier with him in harnessed and booster mode in this thread. I also compared him to the Parkway and Radian as a resource...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=50306

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC