Question 2001 Chrysler T&C - fitting 3 seats in the back

drjanetm

Long shot, but hoping someone has one of these and can help with car seat placement/selection.

We have just found out we're expecting not one but 2 babies, which will mean 7 people in a 7-seater. Besides the adults, this will be:

6yo approx 45lb, not sure of height, currently in a Regent

4yo approx 35lb, again not sure of height (she is currently in a RA but about to outgrow this, so we are going to put her, for the moment in our Graco CarGo)

2yo, not sure how heavy she'll be then, but was planning on keeping her in her RA

twin newborns

The T&C has 2 captains chairs and a 3-seater across the back. Unfortunately, when we bought it, we didn't realise that, as a 3-seater, it is not as wide as your average back seat of a car. One example - I had a r/f RA outboard driver and the CarGo outboard passenger, and it was a very very tight squeeze to fit my 46kg skinny frame in between, let alone attempt to do up the seat belt. The Graco Turbobooster didn't fit between them.

I'm thinking of getting Radians, but since I am in Australia, it would be a gamble buying 3 and having them not work anyway. Thing is, the narrowest seat on the market here would cost me almost as much as a Radian plus shipping to Australia!!! And it would only go to 40lb.

You see my dilemma! Hoping someone may have some suggestions.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If no one with an '01 T&C posts, I might be able to help you out with the Radians, if you post a pic of the third row so I can see if it's same as my friend's newer T&C. I have a Radian and I'd be willing to try it in all 3 seating locations for you, assuming the vehicle seats are the same.

Hopefully, though, someone with a T&C will have already tried it. :)

Cyrene

Hi,
I had the same dilemma. I have an '02 T&C with captains chairs. I have an 8,5,4, and 1 yr old and just had #5 almost 2 weeks ago. We have our new born in a graco snugride infant carrier and the rest are all in Radian 65's. Mine fit great and we are really happy with them for the most part.

this link helped me get a really good install

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

BTW- Elitecarseats is where I purchased mine. They have great CS and for US residents (not sure how it would be for you) they charge a flat rate of 7.99 shipping via fed ex on the entire order. They also provide return shipping insurance for 8.00 if you don't like the seats and they give a 10 % multiples discount:thumbsup:

Good luck:)

drjanetm

Debbie, thanks for the offer!

Cyrene, sounds promising. Would you be able to post a pic? Just for my own gratification?!!!

Are the 65s and the 80s the same dimensions? Anyone know?

Cyrene

65 and 80 are exactly the same except for the cover prints and the 15 lb weight rating difference. Frankly unless you are dead set on a specific fabric it makes no sense to spend $50.00 extra per seat when most kids will outgrow it in weight before height any ways.

I don't have a great pic, I think this is from before the new LO arrived so I didn't get a pic of the graco SR in the other captains chair.

HPIM0553.jpg

HPIM0554.jpg

BTW- I did the install 3 times before I was happy with it but that was only due to the fact that I was doing it alone which I don't recommend. Once my DH helped me I was very satisfied with them. I thought 3 across the back would be really tight but each seat set in its place without a struggle or having to squeeze :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Here's three across in an '03...

Marathon, Radian, Parkway...
859135158_786953e75b.jpg

Radian, Radian, Radian...
980610484_abcb043909.jpg

Radian, Radian, Parkway...
980610526_3edbd630ca.jpg

My friend has an '01 and they all fit the same in there... so you should have no problems. :)

You could do this...
Infant seat, Radian, Roundabout
Infant seat, Regent
Passenger, Driver

The Roundabout overlaps onto the armrest (above the wheel well) creating more space across the back. The roundabout should also overlap the Radian creating even more space across the back, which leaves you room for the infant seat. :)

keri1292

Sorry to butt in here, but are the seats the same width in the Stow and Go models? We have Stow and Go and I just can't imagine anything working. I wish I had someplace to try out the Radians. It'd be nice to have the option of 3 across.

drjanetm

Jen, that back seat is different to the '01 - the seat in your pics looks flatter at the sides, and ours is not centre split either. I guess if I squeeze the puffy edge of the seat down with my install, it might help me get the outboard seats even more outboard, iykwim.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen, that back seat is different to the '01 - the seat in your pics looks flatter at the sides, and ours is not centre split either. I guess if I squeeze the puffy edge of the seat down with my install, it might help me get the outboard seats even more outboard, iykwim.

Oh, I know it's different. My friend has the '01 with the full back bench seat and top tethers in all three positions. The seating pictures shown fit the same in her vehicle... actually it's easier to put them into the '01 because it does *not* have the split bench. ;)

Keri: The stow and go models are more narrow with respect to seating space. It is pretty much impossible to put a rear facing Radian in the outboard position because of the plastic bumps at the seat bight and the Radian's rfing foot. FFing, I can still do 3 across with Radian's in my '08 which has the stow and go in the third row (identical to '04 - '07 with stow and go)... haven't tried much else in the '08 since we only bought it in December and it's been too cold to play. :)

keri1292

Thanks, Jen! Now, that is seriously tempting. I wouldn't mind my youngest FFing for the occasional trip. Hmmm...3 Radians. Or three Radians and a Parkway for dd. Nope, I HAVE to have a Monterey and dh would kill me if we had the B510, Parkway, Monterey and Regent. But, I have a big garage. :whistle:

drjanetm

Jen, sorry, didn't mean to imply ignorance on your part!!!

Thank you to everyone who has offered tips and photos. It has been an enormous help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC