Have you noticed??

safetyfirst001

That it seems like more and more kids are sitting in the front seat? I go to pick up my children from elementary school, and so many little kids go into the front seat! I mean, these kids are maybe 7-10 years old!

Also, I pick up my daughter from middel school, and she is in 6th grade, nearly 13 (she has the early birthday). At the beginning of the year, when most of her class was 11, so many were sitting in the front seat. I don't mind this as much as elementary school, but it's still crazy!

I plan on starting to let her sit in the front this summer. because she's almost 13, but my others will have to wait.

But am I the only one who notices this???

ADS

Ali

You are not the only one who notices this! It sickens me to see little preschoolers with the seatbelt across their faces or tucked behind their backs.

I am a teacher and we do recess, arrival and dismissal duties. I had to be asked to be taken off the parent pickup line at dismissal because I couldn't stomach it any longer!

emars002

Same goes with the boosters - well i guess at least they are restrained in something - but when we pick my daughter up from Pre-K (3-4 year olds) She is the ONLY one in a 5 point harness - the others are in boosters, backless boosters, or nothing! She has noticed and asked why she cannot have a booster seat - especially when i sent her with a car seat on her field trip - I told her that mommy and daddy like to be very safe and when she is too big for a car seat then she can get a booster - i know she doesn't weigh much (28lbs) but she is average height and she looks ridiculous in a booster - i know most of those preschoolers must not fit correctly in theirs either!

HEVY

Yeah my dd's preschool same way, no boosters, no seatbelts, 3,4,5 yr olds in front seat. Yesterday one lady's neice (about 6-7) jumped out the car from the front seat while she was still moving and then decided to walk along with the car as the lady was parking and then a boy (about 3) jumped out the back just as she stopped. Today the girl tried to pick up her cousin and they made her get the mom, the mom left them in the running car alone. And one of the school staff seen this and just shook her head at me. Nobody wants to get involved

becca011906

Senior Community Member
YEP and get this the ONE time ONE TIME... that i had to put SOME ONE in the front of my car (this was before we got the van) due to picking up to many kids I GET THE QUESTION from another parent... b/c i have a car seat harness forward facing seat in the front with my almost 6 year old harnessed in... go figure... i had in the back a 9 year old, 7 year old in a booster, 4 year old in a harness ffing... I had to explain to her about the harness holding them back away from the air bag better then the seat belt would on a small child in nothng, ect... she finally maybe understood when i said i'm a CPSTech and have taken classes on kids in cars and all that...

Neatfreak

I actually stopped taking afternoon walks during pick-up time for my old neighbourhood's daycare centre because I would always get so frustated by all of the little kids who were allowed to do things in cars that they were really not mature enough for!

I remember when I was kid that being permitted to sit in the front seat was a huge deal. At the time, I never understood why my mom stuck both my sister and I in the back when there was a prime seat open in the front!

zactayaus

I didn't let my oldest ds sit in the front seat until he was 15yo. At that point he was about 130lbs and 5'6" (heavier and taller than me) so I was ok with it.

safetyfirst001

I have had my daughter sit in the front ONCE with no one in the back. She had just turned 12, and I had to drop Christmas cards off around the neighborhood. I just had her sit in the front, so she could put the cards in the mailboxes on the sides of the street. I think 15 is too late, because they need to get used to seeing the road before they drive.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I was reading something on about once the kids hit puberty then and ONLY then are thier bones set/stong enought to sit in an adult spot such as the front seat. I have let an almost 12 year old sit in the front of my car but she was 5'8 and 130lbs and hit puberty about 2 years before that... my kids personally if there is a seat in the back then there is NO reason for them to be in the front... none at all. Heck i even VERY often will sit in the back with the kids it's that much safer...

I've never heard it mentioned about them 'seeing' the road as preparing them to drive... i supose them middle of the back they can see them road also :)

zactayaus

I think 15 is too late, because they need to get used to seeing the road before they drive.

In my state kids don't get a driving permit until they are 16 1/2yo and can't get a drivers license until they are 17yo. So my 15yo had a year and a half of "seeing the road" before he was able to drive, which I think was more than enough time.

skaterbabs

There's no evidence to support the idea they must be in the front to "see the road', but there is a great deal of evidence showing how dangerous it is to be in the front. Everyone would be safer in the back seat.

Until they're getting their learner's permits, keep them in the back seat.

safetyfirst001

I just find it ridiculous at how early kids are sitting in the front seat. When my daughter was 11, when her friends were over, many of them were in the front seat, and their parents didn't care! I started this thread, because I see so many kids in our town at least in the front seat when they are so young. And a week or so ago, my daughter did ask if she could sit in the front. I said not now, but she will be able to in the summer. It's sad that more and more people notice this because that says that so many kids are sitting where they shouldn't be. Why would a parent want a kid in the front anyway?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC