New Official Information on Britax Frontier Installations

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Rock solid install in a 2000 Outback wagon using LBP. Took about 10 minutes. DD turns 8 years old in 4 months. She is 50" tall and 54 pounds. She is right at the limit of the harness height in the top setting. DS turns 10 this fall. He is 79 lbs and 56" tall. He is clearly far to tall for the harness system. I have not yet converted the seat to booster mode, but it looks like he should have plenty of room once the headrest is moved up a couple notches.

I will post some photos tomorrow or early next week. I will also try it in our 2006 Odyssey and with SBP.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As a side note, DOM on mine is 4/24/08 and shipped with Rev. 1 of the manual and no addendum. Of course, this was the day before the addendum was released.

It is my understanding that Britax will soon mail an updated User Guide and label to registered users who received the original guide and labels with their Frontier. So, be sure to send in those product registration cards! The updated user guide will also appear on the website in the near future, along with a product video that may help with long and short belt path explanations.

Trudy

Ok, I am one of the Frontier failures. I read the manual, I called Britax, I tried again, No luck . I gave up! I was just about to purchase two Regents when I saw the update and video. Now I am unsure once again which to get. I am still unclear why you would get a Frontier style seat vs a Regent style seat. The only reason I didn't get the Regents is the size. They are huge. I need two in the back seat of a Camry. What is the reason you would choose the Frontier/Radian Natulis vs the Regent. Is the Frontier style safer?

3 I appreciate all the hard work all of you have done keeping us updated. I await your advice.

jwren

I wanted the Frontier cause it will convert to a booster, and it's not as wide as the regent. Plus it looks more like a booster (for kids that feel like they are the only ones still in harnesses, and it looks "cool") Oh and the harness height adjustment on the Frontier is the infinate type.. you just pull it up and it raises.. rather than having to rethread straps (although I am not sure how it works with the regent... I don't have one, only tried it in the store..)
HTH;)

PS: the radian was too narrow and not as high harness height for my son to grow into, the Nautilius is still an option as a second seat, but doesn't give that extra crotch slot that my son will benefit from later, so the Frontier with that last one at 8.25" did it for me, not to mention the SIP..

Ok, I am one of the Frontier failures. I read the manual, I called Britax, I tried again, No luck . I gave up! I was just about to purchase two Regents when I saw the update and video. Now I am unsure once again which to get. I am still unclear why you would get a Frontier style seat vs a Regent style seat. The only reason I didn't get the Regents is the size. They are huge. I need two in the back seat of a Camry. What is the reason you would choose the Frontier/Radian Natulis vs the Regent. Is the Frontier style safer?

3 I appreciate all the hard work all of you have done keeping us updated. I await your advice.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Well, the Radian and Regent don't convert to boosters.

The Frontier and Nautilus do. The weight on the Frontier harness is higher, the Nautilus' harness is taller. So it depends on your child which you'll get more use out of. Both can be LATCHed as boosters. Both have some measure of side impact, but the Frontier's is greater. As jwren mentioned, you just need to turn a knob on the Frontier to adjust the harness. The Nautilus' isn't hard, but it's...interesting. The Frontier actually has color whereas the Nautilus is shades of gray. The Frontier can be installed using a long belt path or short belt path which can make it fit a lot better in some cars and positions. The Nautilus doesn't have that, but it's pretty easy to install anywhere. The Frontier is $270, the Nautilus $150.

So between the two of them it's a toss up between what you want. Headrest and wings, or taller harness? Is price a factor? Otherwise they're pretty similar.

Wendy

Trudy

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it. This has become to confusing. Before all I did was get Britax's to match age and weight! Thankfully, Price is not a factor. I will have one grandaughter(who I am raising) who is 37" 37Lbs 3.5 yrs old always in car and one who is part time rider but is 41" 36 lbs and 3.9yrs old. She is the reason we are changing from Declathons. I want to keep the seats the same as these girls are like twins. Everything has to be the SAME! So what I really want know is what type of seat is considerd the safest. The one with head rest and wings or is a Regent style. I would like to keep the girls in a seat as long as possible. Even if it means buying another one in a few years. My first grands refused the boster after age 7 and parents didn't fight it. This set agree with safty and we are all on the same page. Thanks so much. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would. Trudy

scatterbunny

Those girls aren't huge for their age, so I think something like the Frontier would work very well. It will harness them to at least age 6, probably age 7, I would guess (based on the fact that my dd would probably just barely still fit at almost 7, and she is taller than 97 percent of other girls her age). Then it converts to a belt positioning booster. Really, the Safeguard Child Seat and Britax Regent are the only options for harnessing longer than the Frontier, and those options don't convert to boosters later.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Those girls aren't huge for their age, so I think something like the Frontier would work very well. It will harness them to at least age 6, probably age 7, I would guess (based on the fact that my dd would probably just barely still fit at almost 7, and she is taller than 97 percent of other girls her age). Then it converts to a belt positioning booster. Really, the Safeguard Child Seat and Britax Regent are the only options for harnessing longer than the Frontier, and those options don't convert to boosters later.

I will have photos of my almost 8 year old DD in the Frontier. She is at the harness limit. If you are looking to harness taller kids to 7-8 years or more, the Regent and Safeguard are the best options. If you want side impact protection and other features of the Frontier and don't mind transitioning to a booster at 6-7 years old, the Frontier looks like a great choice compared to most combination models. I haven't installed a Nautilus yet, so I can't really comment on how it compares. It seemed reasonable on display at the Lifesavers conference, though.

emandbri

This is SOOOOO very cool! I can't wait to see this seat in person! After struggeling with my new radian in my camry I was temped to try the LBP just for kicks but I knew it would work great and just make me more annnoyed! ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
:D:D:D Yeah, they used to be a little more pre-release cautious..I knew someone that got all kinds of tester models before seats went on sale...I think they solved some problems before they started that way :whistle:

*raises hand* I would like to volunteer for that! I'd be more than happy to be a tester, and I have received many compliments on my writing skills, so I could write excellent, detailed, and well-edited reviews.

Where do I sign up??? :D ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I receive a number of evaluation samples, but I only recall one that was a pre-production model. That one never made it to market. Many of the others were first run models from early in production, but always fully labeled and such. I've also been contacted for input and feedback during product development, but never with a prototype other than that one time.

The best way to receive samples is probably to be an instructor or coordinator of a CPS-related organization and have a business card. Some companies, especially smaller ones, will offer samples (if you inquire) for evaluation at conferences like Lifesavers or KIM and often ask only for feedback or possibly a review in return. I was always very diligent about doing so. Other companies and distributors will often give away their floor models or raffle them. As is popular in the tech industry, having a popular blog or base of reviews at a website like epinions (or Car-Seat.Org!) is a another way to get some attention for potential samples. Not quite as common for child restraints as it may be for computer processors, but it might be worth a shot.

I have been contacted a few times for recommendations on who might be a good participant for a review/feedback. I often refer them to our reviews forum to see who has written some of the better ones;-) Technicians and Instructors can also sign up in the Tech forum to post reviews and commentaries on our blog at www.carseatblog.com . That blog could really use a jumpstart and it's the trendy way to reach parents in terms of advocacy right now, too.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Thanks Darrin! I was half-joking (why would anyone give a complete stranger a brand-new carseat??), but it's good to know it's a possibility!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Darrin! I was half-joking (why would anyone give a complete stranger a brand-new carseat??), but it's good to know it's a possibility!

Some companies are progressive at getting feedback from customers, the others should be. No harm in asking!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
wow, how I don't have that bookmarked is beyond me. Heather Rocks! I know Britax has some videos up now but Heather's are wonderful. :D :love: It hard to explain the LBP/SBP without seeing it.

:love::love::love:

I *am* going to update those videos very soon! I filmed them 2 weeks before Britax issued their consumer advisory and changed the instructions, so I was pretty disgusted at the time, lol. I don't have access to a post-6/18/07 Regent, so it's taken me a while to do them. Long story short :p, new Regent videos soon!

Melizerd

:love::love::love:

I *am* going to update those videos very soon! I filmed them 2 weeks before Britax issued their consumer advisory and changed the instructions, so I was pretty disgusted at the time, lol. I don't have access to a post-6/18/07 Regent, so it's taken me a while to do them. Long story short :p, new Regent videos soon!

If the link changes will you be sure to let us know in BIG announcement fashion? I really appreciate the work it takes to do those.

U

Unregistered

rock solid install in xc90 with lbp still to wide in latch for booster but will try again in the morning - izzyh4

Depressed as can't keep it if it won't work in booster

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC