Nautilus, Frontier, Regent, or Safeguard Go?

Galatea

Ds2 has outgrown his Roundabout and needs to go into ds1's Marathon, so I want to get something bigger for ds1. We measured ds1's torso and it was about 16". Dh really wants to get him the Safeguard Go, but I see that only has 17" maximum torso height, which doesn't seem like it will last for very long. I want to get a Regent but dh reaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy doesn't want to. I am partial to the Britax b/c of always having had them, but it seems like the Frontier may just be a more expensive Nautilus. My kids are not heavy and so I doubt the 80 lb limit on the Frontier would be useful.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the SIP of the Frontier is better than the Nautilus, and the flip up armrests will make it very much easier to climb into it, and the 9 year lifespan could be a major advantage since you have such young kiddos... I wouldn't get a Regent now if my kids were so young, it's just so huge and annoying to install and bad for sleep support... (my two cents, based on owning Huskies for years and my dd hating it till she was about 6 because of the lack of head support). Maybe the Radian would be something else good to consider?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Of those I would head either to the Nautilus or the Regent. With the Regent not likely I'd push for the Nautilus. I don't know yet, other than being LATCHable as a booster, what the Frontier offers over a Nautilus. I have yet to see one in person. The Nautilus is nearly half the price of the Regent, has slots that are plenty high, and then converts to both a high back and a low back booster. It's also very easy to install and use.

You're right, the Go has top slots about the same as the Marathon. It also has no shell and requires a top tether at all times. When it converts to a booster at 60 pounds/17" torso it's only a backless booster. I think it's a great seat for travel or grandma's or something like that, but I don't think it would make a great daily seat. With no shell the only side protection that is offered is what comes with the five point harness. You say you have another child, so I would guess your son is sitting next to the window. There would be nothing between him and the glass in a Go other than the harness's protection. I'd be far more comfortable with a shell.

ETA: I see Jools has added some of the benefits of the Frontier. With two young children and a third on the way a nine year seat may be wonderful for you, the cost of the Frontier would be about $30 a year, or $2.50 a month. If you need a three across situation in the future the Regent simply will not work, though the Nautilus and Frontier should.

Wendy

Galatea

Dh manages a baby store and I work there, so on Friday my MIL is going to bring the boys down to the store so ds1 can sit in the seats (Regent, Nautilus). Unfortunately we don't have the Frontier in yet. Ds1 likes the pictures of the Regent best b/c he says "It is big for me," but we will just have to see.

ginny4

Dh manages a baby store and I work there, so on Friday my MIL is going to bring the boys down to the store so ds1 can sit in the seats (Regent, Nautilus). Unfortunately we don't have the Frontier in yet. Ds1 likes the pictures of the Regent best b/c he says "It is big for me," but we will just have to see.

trying it out is the best thing to do! it helps in the decision making.

forwarning....if you have broad shouldered children the nautilus may nto be the best choice in longevity. the nauti is quite narrow. my kids didn't fit so well. of course my boys were basically too tall for the harness (almost 8 & 9) & would need it in booster mode but were too squished, perhaps if i needed a 2nd seat i'd consider the nauti for the harness only. BTW i have a slideshow of my kids testing the nauti with the regent. if you are interested let me know

Galatea

trying it out is the best thing to do! it helps in the decision making.

forwarning....if you have broad shouldered children the nautilus may nto be the best choice in longevity. the nauti is quite narrow. my kids didn't fit so well. of course my boys were basically too tall for the harness (almost 8 & 9) & would need it in booster mode but were too squished, perhaps if i needed a 2nd seat i'd consider the nauti for the harness only. BTW i have a slideshow of my kids testing the nauti with the regent. if you are interested let me know

Yeah, can you send it to me? That would be great.

I don't know about ds1's shoulders. He looks comfy in the Marathon, but dh has broad shoulders, so ds1 may, too.

ginny4

Yeah, can you send it to me? That would be great.

I don't know about ds1's shoulders. He looks comfy in the Marathon, but dh has broad shoulders, so ds1 may, too.

i'm gonna send you 2: 1st one is my 3 older kids testin the GN with regent
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/lundtv/?action=view&current=1a6d5f52.pbw

DD is 40lb, 42in, DS2 65lb 53in, DS1 68-69lb 55in

2nd one is my DD in 4 seats: FPSVD, APex, GN & Regent
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/lundtv/?action=view&current=d2659fcc.pbw

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
Check Judi's posts for pics of my DS in a variety of seats (he is our CRS poster boy ;-)
The Nautilus is very slim in torso and shoulders; the Frontier fit him much better in that respect, though he was still too tall to harness in it. I would personally go for the Regent, simply due to harness height; my DS was in a Husky from about 4 to now (he is 9) and loved it the whole time. If you need 3 across or have a small car, those are factors that might be a problem w/ the Regent, but it works very well in my Odyssey.

rosomom

Did you all see the thread re: the Nautilus being LATCHed in booster mode? I'm pointing that out simply because that might even things out between the Nautilus and the Frontier a bit. The thread is around here somewhere. :)

HEVY

I would suggest the GN or the Frontier because of the booster. But some feel the GN is a bit narrow and tight fitting so I would go with the Frontier (If price isn't a big issue). Your ds1 and my dd are the same stats and mines about to be 5, so I think your ds1 is kinda big and the Frontier may last him longest and most likely due to lifespan can also be used for ds2, so it may be the only seat you'll need to buy.

Galatea

Check Judi's posts for pics of my DS in a variety of seats (he is our CRS poster boy ;-)
The Nautilus is very slim in torso and shoulders; the Frontier fit him much better in that respect, though he was still too tall to harness in it. I would personally go for the Regent, simply due to harness height; my DS was in a Husky from about 4 to now (he is 9) and loved it the whole time. If you need 3 across or have a small car, those are factors that might be a problem w/ the Regent, but it works very well in my Odyssey.

We have a Sedona so the size of the Regent isn't an issue. It's my dh's block against it. :rolleyes: But I can usually get what I want with him.

i'm gonna send you 2: 1st one is my 3 older kids testin the GN with regent
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/lundtv/?action=view&current=1a6d5f52.pbw

DD is 40lb, 42in, DS2 65lb 53in, DS1 68-69lb 55in

2nd one is my DD in 4 seats: FPSVD, APex, GN & Regent
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/lundtv/?action=view&current=d2659fcc.pbw

Thanks so much! It seems like your kids are smiling in the Regent and rolling their eyes in the Nautilus... did you coach them or is this really how they feel about the 2 seats? ;)

mom23boys

I have put my son in the Frontier and the GN! He is 16.5 Torso and is 4.5 yrs old! He's 45 in. and 51 lbs! He had about 1.5 inch to outgrow the harness in both but I will say the Frontier would be a better choice when used as a booster! More roomier in the shoulders definitelty, plus it can be latched and tethered in booster mode! It is a great seat for most avg. sized torso's!

firemomof3

I also have a Sedona and I had trouble getting a good install with the Regent in the 3rd row because of the long belt stalks, so just a heads up. But the Regent is a great choice because it will keep your child harnessed as long as possible. I had the Safeguard Go for 2 days before I sold it because it offers almost no side impact protection and it has low harness slots :thumbsdown:
For a boy who is going to be on the bigger side the Frontier will offer the most room, but its not out yet :( Good luck and let us know what you choose! :)

ginny4

Thanks so much! It seems like your kids are smiling in the Regent and rolling their eyes in the Nautilus... did you coach them or is this really how they feel about the 2 seats? ;)

:D oh yeah we spent a couple hours trying to get the right expressions on their faces. hee hee. j/k

with the GN they were watchin TV & just didn't want to be bothered

with the regent they were much mroe excited & well they were some screams shall we say from the kids of who gets to sit in it. i had to take it out of the living room & then they were sobbin. you would think my near 9yr was 2yo. OY

still my eldest DS keeps beggin me to allow him to use the regent.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC