CDN specific Frontier questions and comments master thread

jenofeve

Sorry if this is a repeat :D

I have been reading here about the **NEW** Britax seat coming out. I just noticed that babyproofingplus is taking pre-orders for the Frontier and they say it's going to be here in May.

Is this true? Or is it wishful thinking?
Is it going to harness to 80lbs here or did they just copy and paste from the US site ?

What does the Britax site mean when it says Harnessed 2 years & 25lbs?
(under recommended use http://www.britaxusa.com/products/product_detail.aspx?ID=15) They have to be 2 years old & 25 lbs? :confused:

That would be so cool if it did harness to 80lbs here in Canada! DS is a long way off from FF but I think that will be the seat to get when it's time and i'll be able to put the next baby-to-be in Marathon we have now.

So..... what's the REAL update on the Britax Frontier??

Thx- I LOVE THIS SITE! :love:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Re: Frontier?

CDN max weight limit will be 65lbs based on prelim info. Min age & weight will be 2yrs old and 25lbs - Britax is trying to encourage kids rf'ing to 2yrs old. :thumbsup:

Last we heard it's expected to ship to Canada in June, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I'll call a local baby store that's been quite forthcoming with info about expected stock arrival in the past and see if they can give more info. :thumbsup:

(There's a thread in this forum that's called New Britax Seats IIRC. It was started by Hipmaman. It has the most up to date info.)

snowbird25ca

I just turned edited the title of this thread to designate it the CDN specific master thread for the Frontier. Any new questions that pop up over the next few months or until the seat shows up will be merged into this thread. :)

If you have questions that aren't CDN specific, please continue to post them in the main spoilers and speculations thread in the car seat chat area. :thumbsup:

QuassEE

So, the US seats are in production. Britax is giving away 20 of them at Lifesavers this week. I saw two of them in person today, and I overheard that you will be able to use the seat with the armrests positioned up. The cupholders do this neat little rolling motion and shift into the seat shell..so if you have limited space, it's great. The height adjuster at the rear is one of the easiest I've used, but is a bit counter-intuitive (you tilt it up from the bottom and then move it, securing it into these slotted locations to secure).. the fabric is....weird. It's a bit scratchy, IMO, and looks like mesh. I was hoping for softer.

From the sounds of things..Britax is going to satisfy their US market first, and Canada will come later.

I did talk to Rand at Britax about what Canadians want.. I gave him three things--HWH (80), RF to 35, and something to be done about the recent height restriction issue...

-Nicole.

abemom2

At the Safety Superstore in Mississauga someone posted on another board that they have it in stock - as a floor model for a few days already!!

QuassEE

Well, they didn't have a model to use to test the adjuster.. I only have a problem with the MA when there's a child in the seat. Otherwise it slides just great. So I guess we'll have to see--hopefully someone here will win one to test out.

$300 seat..hmm...Well, I think so. That's not really far off from their other products, and the ability to use the seat for longer really is attractive. I had said I probably wouldn't get one, but I think it's pretty ideal for a three across situation. I also think it could be used harnessed for my daughter and as a booster for my son without uninstalling...as long as the manual doesn't say not to.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

Well, they didn't have a model to use to test the adjuster.. I only have a problem with the MA when there's a child in the seat. Otherwise it slides just great. So I guess we'll have to see--hopefully someone here will win one to test out.

$300 seat..hmm...Well, I think so. That's not really far off from their other products, and the ability to use the seat for longer really is attractive. I had said I probably wouldn't get one, but I think it's pretty ideal for a three across situation. I also think it could be used harnessed for my daughter and as a booster for my son without uninstalling...as long as the manual doesn't say not to.

-Nicole.

I know you have to remove the harness to use it as a booster, and there's a screw on the back of the headrest that you remove when using the seat in booster mode, so I think the seat would have to be uninstalled to accomplish that...

The 9yrs does make it pretty attractive. It probably wouldn't expire until after ds passes the 5 step test since he's 1.5 already and DOM are looking like June is probably a good bet. :shrug-shoulders:

QuassEE

Yeah, I figured they might do *something* to make it unusable for both! I used to use my NextStep for both of my kids--one harnessed, one not.. Apparently it was fine, per Century!

-Nicole.

hipmaman

OK, the Safety Superstore has a display model. I've clear it with the GM and I'm going in there with Avery today to check it out and possibly take pictures. Ask your questions here...

AllieCanada

I know that TRU will be carrying the Frontier. They don't have an arrival date and they will only be carrying the Rushmore and Canyon cover so it looks like those will be the only covers available in Canada when it releases (which is too bad because I really want the red one lol). They will have a lot of the Canyon but very few of the Rushmore (I think he said the computer has only 32 all across Canada) and of course the price is $299.99

supermommyof2

I would love to see a RL height comparisson between the Radian and Frontier.

Joshua's torso is as tall as Isaac's with approx 1.5" left in the Radian. Since he's only just turning 3 the Frontier will be the only option to keep him harnessed past 4 (depending how he grows this year). I think I'd only consider it if there was more than 1.5" difference, though, $300 is a lot for only 1.5" of harness height.

Of course, there's always the argument that the Radians will expire before the planned next 2 babies outgrow them, so we'd need to replace them eventually :whistle:

horseymom

where would I find a pic of this seat? I reallllly want too see one!!!

ok I found it and I'm ready to order! LOL

what is the height on the top slot?

Shanora

I also really want the red one.....I wont if Britax will be selling covers for this one on their site? I plan on buying this seat once it comes out.....but I really really want the red one...LOL

horseymom

I also really want the red one.....I wont if Britax will be selling covers for this one on their site? I plan on buying this seat once it comes out.....but I really really want the red one...LOL

red? where can I see all the colors that are coming to canada? ( found them ) LOL

Last edited:

hipmaman

Ok, just came back from seeing the BV, Diplomat (what's the short form?) and Frontier (is it shortened to FR?). No kids to try, baby was sleeping, forgot the camera :bag over head: Couldn't install it in the van to play with at this time.

I also take it for granted that the convertibles are well-known in the US and if there is any measurements or installation questions, we can always ask in the US forums. And there are plenty of Frontier pictures, so I was not going to turn the car around to fetch my camera :)

I paid more attention to the Frontier since it seems to be the seat with the most interest... I'll post about the convertibles in the other thread ('new Britax seats for Canada')

- $299
- more likely to be available in late June
- Canyon (gray/black) and Rushmore (beige/black) for Canada
- fabric is combination of mesh-on-fabric on the grey part of the Rushmore display model and the black part is the usual Britax plush

- as carseat: 2 yrs old, 11.4 kg or 25 lbs minimum and upto 29.5 kg or 65 lbs maximum (80 lbs in the US, but only 65 lbs in Canada due to our regulations)
- 8 harness settings with the lowest about 11.75" and highest about 18.25"
- harness adjustment is by lifting a lever at the back of the carseat. I do believe that you have to uninstall the carseat to adjust the harness level (the lever is down lower and not like at the top like the SafeGuard or in front like the AOE)
- 3 positions for crotch buckle with the closest to the body at approx. 6.25" and furthest at 9.5"
- harness adjuster is the same as the Marathon but seems to be easier to adjust. Almost a cross between the RA and the MA adjustors. But that's w/o a child in it.

- as booster: latchable, not sure about tether (must be in the user's guide), 106.7 - 152.4 cm (40-60") and 18.2-45.5 kg (40-100 kg). Gotta laugh at the measurements in cm :)
- max seatbelt guide slot is at approx. 18" low end of the slot. It's part of the headrest and move up or down the same way you would for the 5 pt harness

Baby is fussy, so I'll post some measurements for the Parkway and Radian in comparison

As

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC