CDN specific Frontier questions and comments master thread

TerisBoys

- as booster: latchable, not sure about tether (must be in the user's guide), 106.7 - 152.4 cm (40-60") and 18.2-45.5 kg (40-100 kg). Gotta laugh at the measurements in cm :)
- max seatbelt guide slot is at approx. 18" low end of the slot. It's part of the headrest and move up or down the same way you would for the 5 pt harness

Lurking over from the other thread...

18" max torso for booster? That's even lower than the top harness slots, yes?

ADS

lemurmommies

- as carseat: 2 yrs old, 11.4 kg or 25 lbs minimum and upto 29.5 kg or 65 lbs maximum (80 lbs in the US, but only 65 lbs in Canada due to our regulations)

This is the part that I find most interesting... the age minimum. It isn't a problem for us because when we turn DS around he'll still be in his Marathon. But he isn't going to make it to 2 years RF, since at 16 months he's hovering at the 29 pound mark fully clothed.

My current plans are to get DS a Frontier when our future second child (I'm not pregnant yet) moves into the Marathon RF. But what would I have done if I had had my kids closer together? If I had kids 18 months apart (which is what I wanted, but it didn't quite work out that way :)) I wouldn't have been able to have DS go from his Marathon into a Frontier.

Just me, thinking out loud. What do you all think of the age regulation? Is it the same for the seat in both Canada and the US?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is the part that I find most interesting... the age minimum. It isn't a problem for us because when we turn DS around he'll still be in his Marathon. But he isn't going to make it to 2 years RF, since at 16 months he's hovering at the 29 pound mark fully clothed.

My current plans are to get DS a Frontier when our future second child (I'm not pregnant yet) moves into the Marathon RF. But what would I have done if I had had my kids closer together? If I had kids 18 months apart (which is what I wanted, but it didn't quite work out that way :)) I wouldn't have been able to have DS go from his Marathon into a Frontier.

Just me, thinking out loud. What do you all think of the age regulation? Is it the same for the seat in both Canada and the US?

Yep, that age is the same in both the US and Canada, and interesting thought about how with our 30lb limit rf'ing many kids won't fit by weight to rf to 2yrs old. So something like a SS1 straight to Frontier won't possibly be an option. Parents will have to buy a convertible seat to use ff'ing until their child is 2yrs old... Not the best when you consider this is already a $300 seat...

About the belt guide, there is a little screw on the back of the seat that is taken out when using the seat as a booster. There are 3 height adjustments once the screw is removed to raise the headrest higher, so the headrest height should make it to the 21" their website stats say.

hipmaman

\About the belt guide, there is a little screw on the back of the seat that is taken out when using the seat as a booster. There are 3 height adjustments once the screw is removed to raise the headrest higher, so the headrest height should make it to the 21" their website stats say.

Good, because I had no chance to read the manual before going and thought they would have the manual there with the seat. But no.

So with 21" seatbelt guide, that makes it the same height as the Parkway. And this also makes it highest in all the booster seats, as far as I know.

Since it's not certified yet, there is no manual attached to the display model, no sticker with DOM, no expiration, etc.

lemurmommies

Yep, that age is the same in both the US and Canada, and interesting thought about how with our 30lb limit rf'ing many kids won't fit by weight to rf to 2yrs old. So something like a SS1 straight to Frontier won't possibly be an option. Parents will have to buy a convertible seat to use ff'ing until their child is 2yrs old... Not the best when you consider this is already a $300 seat...

(Bolding mine.)

Yeah, this is the issue that I'm struggling with.

I know that Britax wants to encourage ERF, but the minimum age thing is throwing me off. Wouldn't a minimum height have made more sense? I'd like to get DS a seat with better SIP as soon as he goes forward facing, so I may have to suck it up and get a BV.

tiger926

I checked with Windsor, ON, Toys R Us and they are showing that the Canyon may be coming into the store in June - she was having trouble making sense of the system notes, but it will definitely be a special order item for sure. She showed me the marketing folder that they just received. Yeah!

My hubby and I are currently discussing the miminum age/weight restrictions. The wording above says, "2 years old or 25lbs" which means that even if child is under 2, but is at or above 25 lbs he/she can use this seat. Based on the above discussion though, you are all saying that it means that a child under 2 years can't use this seat. Can someone please explain? I am an English teacher, so 'or' implies whichever comes first, if not, it should say 'and.' Please explain.

We are hopefully going to be buying this seat for our daughter who is turning 5 next month - she currently has 2 Radians, but one will go in hubby's car for her brother. Our baby boy will be going into his new Marathon next week and out of his SafeSeat (he still fits, but we think he'll be more comfortable in the Marathon), so the above won't be an issue for us, but I am looking for clarification should friends/family ask about this seat.

Thanks, Tiger :)

snowbird25ca

My hubby and I are currently discussing the miminum age/weight restrictions. The wording above says, "2 years old or 25lbs" which means that even if child is under 2, but is at or above 25 lbs he/she can use this seat. Based on the above discussion though, you are all saying that it means that a child under 2 years can't use this seat. Can someone please explain? I am an English teacher, so 'or' implies whichever comes first, if not, it should say 'and.' Please explain.

The US manual clearly says 2yrs AND 25lbs. The CDN manual isn't out yet, so I guess it's possible they could have a different minimum age and/or different wording. I'd be doubtful of that, but it's possible.

tiger926

The US manual clearly says 2yrs AND 25lbs. The CDN manual isn't out yet, so I guess it's possible they could have a different minimum age and/or different wording. I'd be doubtful of that, but it's possible.

Thank you - that makes more sense. It was reported as 'or' above, so that is a totally different meaning altogether.

hipmaman

Thank you - that makes more sense. It was reported as 'or' above, so that is a totally different meaning altogether.

I believe I wrote:

- as carseat: 2 yrs old, 11.4 kg or 25 lbs minimum and upto 29.5 kg or 65 lbs maximum (80 lbs in the US, but only 65 lbs in Canada due to our regulations)

The "or" is between 11.4 kg or 25 lbs though and not between the age and weight. Hope that clears thing up.

tiger926

I believe I wrote:

The "or" is between 11.4 kg or 25 lbs though and not between the age and weight. Hope that clears thing up.

Thanks, that does better explain. Sorry for my misunderstanding, Tiger :)

snowbird25ca

I believe I wrote:

You're just missing the Oxford comma Tam, then it'd be clear. :p ;) :whistle:

(Was it Ulrike with that in her avatar?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC