older kids in booster

U

Unregistered

I just bought 2 Safety First Apex 65 seats for my 3 year olds and they ride very comfortably in them. I will need 2 more seats for the other car and just read about the Graco Nautilus that also goes to 65 pounds with the 5 point harness. The Graco is more expensive but converts to a backless booster. While ideally I want to keep the kids in the high back until they graduate to no booster, do the big kids rebell against the high back? Would we be better off spending more money and getting the Graco that will convert to backless? ALso, has anybody tried both the Apex 65 and the Nautilus? What do you think?

ADS

scatterbunny

I personally would choose a Nautilus over an Apex any day, but not because of the Nautilus's ability to be used as a backless booster. I would choose the Nautilus because it has taller top harness slots. Most kids outgrow most seats by height before weight. When a child's shoulders go over top harness slots, they are too tall for the seat, regardless of weight. My daughter is fairly evenly proportioned (not extremely tall and lightweight, or very short and heavy) and was too tall for an Apex between 50 and 55 pounds. She still fits in a Nautilus harnessed at 59 pounds with a bit of height growing room left. The Nautilus *should* last most kids another year, at least, in the harness.

The Nautilus is also a sturdier seat. The Apex requires vehicle head support for the child, meaning, there must be vehicle seatback or headrest at least up to the tips of the child's ears at all times because the Apex's seat shell is not strong enough to provide the necessary head support in a crash. The Nautilus has none of those concerns.

I hope that helps some! :) I'd go with Nautiluses and use those as primary seats, and use the Apexes as secondary seats, as long as the secondary vehicle has the necessary higher seatbacks and/or headrests.

firemomof3

I have the GN for my 4.5y/o daughter and my best friend has 2 Apex 65 for her 2 kids. She is actually selling one of them so she can get a GN because her 5y/o daughter has almost outgrown it. I would recommend the GN hands down with no reservations. Its an overall fantastic seat! :thumbsup:

scatterbunny

I just noticed I didn't comment on the question about big kids rebelling in a highback booster.

Most kids who've grown up with car-safety conscious parents understand why they are using the restraints they are using. My 6yo understands why she was in a harness until almost 60 pounds. She understands why she must use her highback booster 99% of the time now, and her backless booster is only for quick trips/emergencies/friends. She watches crash test videos with me, and understands that the highback is safer, and she'll use it until she is too tall to use it. That probably won't be until she's at least 8, even though she is in the 95th percentile for height for her age. Most kids can easily fit in highback boosters until age 8-10, and it's safer. :)

wendy1221

My ds is 8.5 and just rebelled against the high back a few months ago. He is in a Graco Turbobooster, without the back. Honestly, he pointed out to me where the seat was uncomfortable w/ the back, even though he isn't anywhere near outgrowing it. I let him go w/out the back. I honestly don't feel he's any less safe w/out the back, but I think w/ a better made high back, he probably would have been comfortable longer. We are in an '04 Sienna w/ side impact aribags, and all that.

He was fine with it until this year. I think he had a growth spurt and it just wasn't comfortable anymore. He's almost 9 and almost reaches the rules for riding w/out a booster, at least on the rear bench of our van. Not even close in other vehicles. I actually haven't checked in a while, he may be tall enough now. Last time I checked, he could sit comfortably w/ his feet touching the floor, but the belt was too close to his neck.

j4m4d8

As a mom, I really like the harnessed seats that convert to a booster. So practical and they often have higher harness slots than convertible seats. But some kids feel more grown-up with a new high-backed booster than with their old combination seat. Still the Graco Nautilus is a great harnessed seat for all the reasons Jenny already mentioned.

Ironically, my non-safety conscious friend's seven-year-old refused to ride in a backless booster because it looked like a baby seat. However he was quite agreeable to riding in a high-backed booster since it looks like a spaceship seat! But as Jenny noted if you are safety conscious it is rarely a problem to have a child use a high-backed booster. They are more comfortable anyway.

Also note that for the price difference between the Apex and the Nautilus you could easily pick up a backless booster seat later if necessary--they are often under $20.

I would still lean toward the Nautilus myself, but I just wanted to touch on your concerns a bit more.

Julie D.

skaterbabs

My eleven year old son just stopped using his high-back booster around Christmas. I would no more have given him a choice about using his booster than I would about any other safety issue.

That said, he never complained. He understands why he needs a booster, and knows exactly what can happen if the seatbelt doesn't fit him.

Suzibeck

I have no experience with the seats you mention so I'll just let you know my backless booster experience.

Oldest dd rode in a backless booster for over a year after she got too tall for our High Back Turbo Booster. She would have fit in the Parkway longer, but we didn't have it then. By the time I got the Parkway, oldest dd was too tall for it, but still sometimes used a backless booster. She is too heavy for any booster now, and I'm bummed because a backless really helps hold the lapbelt in place better on her 11 yo hips. I would probably go with the GN and use the harness until it is outgrown, then use the highback until it is too short and then go backless (provided you have proper head restraint of course) until your child is too heavy.

None of my kids have resisted child restraints, they actually all want to be harnessed. The Regent won't work for us and middle dd is too tall for other seats so she is boostered. Only my youngest is harnessed and she is fine with it. Middle dd has no problem being in a booster, she knows it is safer.

zactayaus

My dd will be 10 in a month and a half. She is currently in a TB highback with room to grow. She used to ask to go backless all the time because she was embarressed that her friends would see her in the booster. Once I found this site I showed her the crash test footage for boosters with and without backs and now she understands. She will remain in a booster for at least another 2 yrs. She just hit 50lbs and is only 52" and has a 17in torso. She falls asleep in the car all the time and I would not feel comfortable without the back for that alone. When friends ask her why she is still in a booster she tells them because I only weigh 50lbs dah!

As for the GN verses the Apex. I would go with the GN. It just seems sturdier and it is very easy to use. You won't have to worry about vehicle support for the headrest and if you decide to go backless at some point at least you will have the option.

Last edited:

ginny4

i have aan almost 8 & 9 yo DSs that use High backs. my eldest is outgrowing the highback of his turbo & i will be buying him a taller one (SK monterey). he NEEDS it. we have low bench seats so no head support without one & also he sleeps ALOT in the car so he needs the support then too. a part of him doesn't want a booster but he too has seen what can happen if the belt doesn't fit properly. so he knows it's for his safety so he doesn't give me too much flack.

my DD uses the Apex & all my kids tried the nautilus. sure the nautilus has WODNERFUL features & also goes higher in the harness BUT for my kids (broad shouldered) didn't fit the nautilus. so i was sad by that cause it woul dhave been perfect. so for us the apex was a better seat for her (going in grandmas car) & we got her a regent for our car.

for reference my kids are in the 90%tiles for height & 80%tiles for weight. i bleiev my DD will get to about 5-6yo out of the apex

sarsah

My almost 8 year old rebelled against his high back booster (Graco Turbo and Britax Parkway) soon after he turned 7. I asked him why and it turned out to be a comfort issue (as a side note -- pretty much none of his friends ride in a booster of any kind anymore, or if they do, it is just the seat with no back). I bought him a Compass B510 and he actually said he really likes it. However, now he's almost to tall for the Compass. I have a Sunshine Kids Monterey on order for my almost 5 year old, but if it fits my 8 year old, he'll use that and I'll either order another one for my 5 year old or he will use the Compass.

Sarah........

scatterbunny

Yes, my dd has also voiced comfort issues in certain highback boosters (Graco TurboBooster and Britax Parkway). Lack of leg support was a big issue, which, for some kids, translates into back pain. My dd just said her legs hurt. She loves her Compass B510 and likes her Recaro Start, though. Those provide more leg support. I also prefer the shoulderbelt guides on those boosters, though the B510 is shorter than the others. I expect my dd to be too tall for the B510 at age 8, and I'll be sad to see it go. The Start is much taller, however, and she'll fit in that for ages. I have high hopes for the Monterey as well.

U

Unregistered1

M is 8, nearly 9, and in a HBB, and she LOVES it. I pointed out that the SIP wings are like little pillows for when she wants to sleep in the car, and she was so excited that she begged me to go places just so she could sit in her booster.

I'd look into the Nautilus, it can be a HBB or a backless and it's great for extended harnessing.

courtfrog2

My 8.5 year old still rides in a Regent. She knows she will ride in that harnessed until her shoulders are AT the tallest slot. She has about 2 inches to go! I told her that when she is in college and can live on her own, then she can choose to get out of her carseat...LOL.

Seriously, my daughter doesn't complain about being harnessed or in a booster when she is with my parents. Alot of her friends ask her why she is still harnessed and she says... "because of Kyle David Miller that's why". She has one of the shirts from the foundation that she wears all the time that says "I still ride in a 5 point harness"

We have low back booster spares. I really like the high backs better though even though our van seats are high enough. High backs seem to make it harder for the child to wiggle in.

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information. I will definitely go check out the GN too. My daughter does have fairly broad shoulders so I am glad someone wrote in about that. I know my kids will be strapped in the 5 point as long as possible and then the booster for several more years after that, and by then, the Apex and the GN will have passed the 6 year mark- so I guess I will have to be in the market for another seat by then anyway. How can they advertise the last seat you will every have to buy if it only lasts until they are 6-10 years old?

This is a wonderful and very helpful site!

CarSeatPoncho

If I could choose again, I'd go with the GN over the Apex (the GN wasn't out 1 1/2 years ago when I had to purchase). I loved the Apex until I had to raise the headrest, and then I saw how really flimsy it is, and why a headrest is essential for it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I hope that by teaching my kids NOW that "safety is cool" they'll have the skills to continue to do so when they're older. If I allow my kids to choose a less-safe option with regards to booster seats when they're 4/6/8/10 years old, what are they going to do when they're 16 and their friend wants to pile 8 people into a 5-passenger vehicle? Or when that cute girl they've got a crush on finally agrees to go to lunch with them, but doesn't put on her seat belt?

If I've taught them when they were 4/6/8/10 years old that it's more important to avoid embarrassment than to avoid injury risks, they're going to ignore the risks, not rock the boat, not make any waves, and just go along with it.

Hopefully my kid will be the one who looks at that over-filled 5-passenger car and tells them they're all nuts and that walking is better for your health anyway, or who suddenly decides that cute girl isn't all that cute once he realizes how stupid she is - because he's been taught skills for dealing with "embarrassment" right from the start. :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

also, most kids need a backless even after they graduate from the highback.

Now, my 8yr old could have used the Nautilus with the back the whole time, but when he was already too tall for the Apex in it's highest position, he still needed a booster.

So don't assume you can go without backless boosters at some point.

But I do think just the reinforced headrest, the recline, the narrower seat, the easier harnesses and such make the Nautilus a far superior seat to the Apex.

Kat_Momof3

I hope that by teaching my kids NOW that "safety is cool" they'll have the skills to continue to do so when they're older. If I allow my kids to choose a less-safe option with regards to booster seats when they're 4/6/8/10 years old, what are they going to do when they're 16 and their friend wants to pile 8 people into a 5-passenger vehicle? Or when that cute girl they've got a crush on finally agrees to go to lunch with them, but doesn't put on her seat belt?

If I've taught them when they were 4/6/8/10 years old that it's more important to avoid embarrassment than to avoid injury risks, they're going to ignore the risks, not rock the boat, not make any waves, and just go along with it.

Hopefully my kid will be the one who looks at that over-filled 5-passenger car and tells them they're all nuts and that walking is better for your health anyway, or who suddenly decides that cute girl isn't all that cute once he realizes how stupid she is - because he's been taught skills for dealing with "embarrassment" right from the start. :twocents:

AMEN!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC