Car seat for NY taxi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceana

Next November my soon to be 5 year old will be going on a trip to NYC.
He weighs 44lbs and is 42inches currently

he is super responsible and would wear the seat belt properly and not end up with the chest strap behind his head

I am slightly concerned that taxis might just keep on going if they see my DH standing on the side of the road holding a Safeguard child seat. I was thinking the Clek booster would be fast and easy and easy to carry around for car seat lugging daddy

ideas suggestions much wanted!

thanks
julie

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I would purchase the lowest $$ backless booster that fits DS.

I believe the Clek is LATCH install and since you will be taking it with you the hassle of releasing the LATCH isn't justified (booster + LATCH eliminates the seat as a projectile and keeps booster in position as DC gets in/out). IMO you'd be paying a lot for a feature that isn't helpful in this situation.

Someone correct me: I don't think taxis are required to have L/S belts. For some reason, I'm thinking they were (maybe not anymore) exempt (like buses).

Have fun in NYC. Buy a slice of pizza at some hole in the wall shop and stop at FAO Schwarz for me!

clek

Hi, our seat (olli) will provide you with a few advantages.
1 - As your expedient driver takes corners in true Daytona style and breaks with whiplash inducing force the booster seat will not tip or slide around.
2 - olli includes a carry bag in the box. Although not intended for rigorous use, it will help keep the seat clean.
3 - caught in the rain/splashed with mud? olli's cover is held on with velcro and is machine washable.
4 - because it has rigid latch you will soon be able to use strap-thingy. A free carry strap that will be introduced in May and hook into the latch connector on our seat. Now you can carry clek hands free.
5 – olli has a quick release strap which makes installation and removal a snap
6- it’s comfortable, safe and cool

This is just my (not so) humble opinion. Whatever you buy use it. I see too many kids not properly protected so congratulations on deciding to get any seat.
Thank you

aisraeltax

honestly, i woudl take the subways. most taxis are jerks about waiting for car seat installation and what are you doing w/ the carseat during museums, etc. etc. ??? we just got back from NYC where we promptly parked my car and took subways everywhere..and ds loved it. :) Traffic is so bad and its so slow and taxis are so expensive due to that (at least thats my 2 cents...save the cab money for the nicer restaurants).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Clek might be one of the smallest boosters available (I've owned a lot of backless boosters...there's an obscure few that are very small and light, but they are hard to get ahold of now)... it should be fairly easy to tote around. LATCH is not required for it's use.

Ridesafer Travel Vest is also a super travel choice, I think... he can wear it as you are hailing a cab, then just buckle him in with a lap and shoulderbelt as the cabby tears out of there :eek::p. Plus, it's *really* easy to stick in a backpack for when you are doing subways... :)

HEVY

Ridesafer Travel Vest is also a super travel choice, I think... he can wear it as you are hailing a cab, then just buckle him in with a lap and shoulderbelt as the cabby tears out of there :eek::p. Plus, it's *really* easy to stick in a backpack for when you are doing subways... :)

:yeahthat:
Is the most convenient.

Oceana

honestly, i woudl take the subways. most taxis are jerks about waiting for car seat installation and what are you doing w/ the carseat during museums, etc. etc. ??? we just got back from NYC where we promptly parked my car and took subways everywhere..and ds loved it. :) Traffic is so bad and its so slow and taxis are so expensive due to that (at least thats my 2 cents...save the cab money for the nicer restaurants).

My mom will be with them and she cannot do the subway stairs so subway for every single too far to walk is out of the question... though mostly they will walk its those cross town jaunts in the rain I want my DH to be prepared for... getting to the hotel from teh airport will involve a taxi since for 3 people it would cost oddles more than those airport vans

I will check out the vest... and will keep clek in mind.. I think the cleck might be useable again later ya know...

hum

any other suggestions or ideas welcome. I have till November so plenty of time to plan

julie

HEVY

The small vest can be used to 60lbs and the lg is 50-80lbs, but Nov. he may weight that. Maybe you could check out some test crash videos of both.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When Piper and I did NYC a couple of months ago I knew we were going to be taking taxis so I brought her Cosco High Rise booster. It's $13.47 at Walmart and LIGHT. I hooked the armrests onto my day bag so I didn't even need to touch it to carry it around. All the taxis we were in had l/s belts in all three positions, so Piper went in the middle in her booster with the belt locked over her.

We're going on Thursday again, though we'll be subwaying it for the entire time this time. IF we need to drive somewhere I'm driving in, so we can just take my car and park it somewhere. Ugh. PITB. So we'll just subway it.

Wendy

bearwithmoi

You'll find mostly 3 pt seatbelts in taxis. They are required to have them. NYC taxis have a lot of wear and tear so they don't last too long on the streets (I've read 3-5 years). So you'll actually see newer model taxis than you might expect or see in other cities.

momtoirs

I've been reading with interest as we are headed to NYC in about a month. DS is 3 1/2, about 39" (well, between 39 and 42" according to the height chart at Nickeloden Universe at the Mall of America today), and about 38 pounds. He rides in a Marathon and GN. We are flying to NYC (not sure how are getting to the airport yet). Once in NY, we usually take a taxi or are picked up by family for the drive to Brooklyn. From there, we mostly walk or take the subway/bus. We might take a car service to get to the Bat Mitzvah if the weather is bad or something. We don't fly very often. Any suggestions? We took a Roundabout when we last flew -- ok DS's first birthday.

Tina

Oceana

You'll find mostly 3 pt seatbelts in taxis. They are required to have them. NYC taxis have a lot of wear and tear so they don't last too long on the streets (I've read 3-5 years). So you'll actually see newer model taxis than you might expect or see in other cities.

well then would they have latch?

thanks
julie

SteveWallen

We did some research a couple of years ago before we launched the SafeGuard Go about NY Taxis specfically. At that time (2006), nearly 90% of medallion cabs in NYC had LATCH. I'm sure it's higher now.

BTW, NY cabs was one of the markets the SafeGuard Go was designed for. It allows you to take a 5-point harness with you as easily as you can take a backless booster.

At any rate, have fun in NYC. It's a truly great city.

Steve Wallen
SafeGuard

SteveWallen

By the way, there's another option besides taxis and subway, too.

http://www.kidcarny.com/

We worked with Topher McGibbon, the founder of Kid Car NY. They do a good job of having the right child seat for your child, installed properly.

Steve

bearwithmoi

You can absolutely install a carseat in a taxi from the airport. And you can always install a carseat in a taxi, as long as you take the time to do it properly. The problem with taxis and carseats is really more where will you put the carseat once you get where you are going. As you know, carseats aren't that convenient to transport so it's difficult to shop, go to a museum, or to a restaurant while lugging a carseat.

If you're staying in Brooklyn and you don't want to take the subway, I would recommend taking a car service and the synagogue and reception place should have a place to store it (such as a coat check room). Car services are often easier to install carseats in because you don't have to carry a carseat and hail it and you're not paying by the minute so you can more easily take the time to install the carseat correctly.

momtoirs

If you're staying in Brooklyn and you don't want to take the subway, I would recommend taking a car service and the synagogue and reception place should have a place to store it (such as a coat check room). Car services are often easier to install carseats in because you don't have to carry a carseat and hail it and you're not paying by the minute so you can more easily take the time to install the carseat correctly.

Thanks! That's what we are thinking. Either someone will pick us up at the airport or we'll take a taxi if no one is available. If we need to for the Bat Mitzvah, we'll use my SIL's usual car service. Same with going back to the airport. The rest of the almost week, we'll use the subway. There was just no possibility of us taking a taxi last time. Any tips for using a car seat in one? Should I find a car to practice a LATCH install in or just use the belts? Neither of our vehicles have LATCH. Thanks again.

Tina

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, just stick with the seatbelt. Have the cabby start the meter while you get it in. That way he'll be less grumpy, he's getting paid while you install the seat.

Wendy

Oceana

We did some research a couple of years ago before we launched the SafeGuard Go about NY Taxis specfically. At that time (2006), nearly 90% of medallion cabs in NYC had LATCH. I'm sure it's higher now.

BTW, NY cabs was one of the markets the SafeGuard Go was designed for. It allows you to take a 5-point harness with you as easily as you can take a backless booster.

At any rate, have fun in NYC. It's a truly great city.

Steve Wallen
SafeGuard

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond here... knowing this information will really help in my decision making a 5 point harness is sexier than a shoulder belt situation...

My son cannot use any 5 point harness seat except the Safeguard products (lengthening crotch strap) so the Go is more likely to be useable for us in the future too

I am not worried about how to carry it. First I am not even going on the trip. Its my husband. He Strong like bear!

My kid is potty trained and they will be travelling with no purse or diaper bag etc... so a backpack with a single car seat is just fine... and I found you can always ask if someone can store your item for you and usually they say yes at the MOMA and theatre. My trip to NYC last fall there was a major accident where some windows fell to the street below... it took us 5 hours to get into the city and we went straight to a show. They stored our full luggage set happily.

cryswilkins

By the way, there's another option besides taxis and subway, too.

http://www.kidcarny.com/

We worked with Topher McGibbon, the founder of Kid Car NY. They do a good job of having the right child seat for your child, installed properly.

Steve

Not to derail, but this is a really cool idea! When I put in my DDs stats is recommends RF, and all kids under 18 months and 33 lbs RF in their cars :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC