LOL.....day 2 of CPS class.....Long again

fyrfightermomma

Well I'm sure many read about my fun first day at CPS class yesterday. Day 2 was definately more interesting. It just keeps getting better and better.....(there is ONE great instructor, so don't get me wrong, but all I could think was wow!)

1. An instructor was talking about 3 vs 5 point harness infant seats. She asked an instructor in the front to show us a 3 point. He picks up a 5 point(SS1). The first instructor said "see how this is different because it goes over the childs head?" I then say "umm thats a 5 point" Both instructors state "no thats a 3 point, see how it doesnt go over their legs?" Only problem was...it WAS going over the legs....I had NO Idea where they were getting 3 point from. Finally the instructor holding the seat stares for like 30 seconds at the harness and says "oh yeah, that is a 5 point, I didnt even see the leg straps" ohhhh boy.....

2. Instructor tells the same instructor who couldn't "see" the 5 point harness to model installing a infant bucket with the base. He puts the base with seat attached to the bench seat and proceeds to install it without taking the seat off the base. Two instructors tell him to take the seat off first. He still proceeds to install the seat with the seat on. Later they did clarify you should remove the seat from the base first. Wow....

3. Talking about why parents should get 3 in 1 and combo seats vs regular convertible seats. We were told the reason is because the kids outgrow the convertibles by height before weight alot (very true) and the 3 in 1's and combo seats have higher slots so they will last longer in them (huh?? dont they have LOWER alot of time??). Then she asks what happens when the child goes above the harness slots. She said "then we MUST convert it into a booster if they are too tall." Nothing about what happens if they are 2 years old or that there are other options like HWH seats

4. Talking about boosters. Another instructor "say we have a just turned 4 year old in a HBB and she loves all her freedom and just wont sit still or stay in the belt what should we do" Her answer??? Switch the seatbelt to ALR and "lock" them into the booster. My answer??? Maybe that "just turned 4 year old" who wont sit still shouldnt be in a booster yet

5. SOmeone asked the instructor who "loves" the Apex whether or not their had to be a headrest. She stated no. Its nowhere in the manual. I said I thought it was. She said no. Confused I went out and installed it in a seat with no headrest. Another instructor comes out and says "you need a headrest with taht seat". I inform her thats not what the one who hands them out to everyone said. They then proceed to argue amongst themselves on whether it needs a headrest and finally the instructor calls the company. The company tells her to look in the manual. She claims the manual says nothing so back to square one. She insists Apex does not need a headrest(even though I pointed out the sticker on the seat that says it does).

6. We were told boosters dont expire. If you use a combo seat the expiration date is for the harness portion. The booster it doesnt matter since there is no part of the seat that holds the child in the car, just the seatbelt so nothing can "break." We were then told if a manufacturer says a booster expires we should boycott them ....uhhhhhh okay.....

So that was day 2 of my class. Whew....I cant wait to see what day 3 brings. Tomorrow is our public seat check. How many 13 month olds will leave FF and how many 3 year olds who outgrew their combo seats and MUST be moved to a booster will be in boosters when they leave.....*sigh*

Last edited:
ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Girl, you need to call Safe Kids ASAP. Your class should be canceled on account of the morons teaching it. They are not really certified by Safe Kids, they are imposters, pretending to be certified. This is bad, very very bad.

Calideedle

I am no tech but the 1st 2 days of your class sound like complete BS. Again I am no tech but I (and you) know more about proper seat use.

I agree with starlight!

fyrfightermomma

I thought of that but what do I say??? "Hey....I am in the class now and I think the teachers are teaching incorrect material....but I never took the class before but I'm sure they are teaching wrong." LOL KWIM??? How do I who has NO credentials sound credible...like why would I know more then them??

keri1292

I'm so excited for my class to start. I think I'd cry with disappointment if I were you! :crying:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Credentials or not, I think you call Safe Kids and express concern over being taught things that directly conflict with the manual... for example, regarding replacing seats after accidents, or boosters not expiring at all... and then add the other things... installing the infant seat attached to the base, the apex without a headrest, etc...

you wouldn't have much luck on the Britax = special need, or Extended RF or Extended Harness front, BUT on the stuff that directly conflicts the manual, you have a case. Your entire class is practically worthless to anyone else in your class.

fyrfightermomma

I think if the two instructors were out and the other two stayed it would be a decent class. Liek the one who came out and instantly said I needed a headrest behind teh Apex and the two who kept trying to tell the guy to take the seat off the base first. If just they could teach the class we would get somewhere. Now dont get me wrong, there were good points like they really pushed ERF. One girl asked if she seriously was supposed to tell someone who came in who had their 15 month old FFing they should turn them backwards and the instructors said "yes" in unison. And because of our state law they did emphasise absolutely no booster before age 4 AND 40 pounds but that was strictly only becasue of the law, not because of safety. One instructor said if you have a big 2 or 3 year old you have to get a higher weight seat like the ones that go to 60 pounds (why do they keep saying 60??) so there are some good points and the two instructors are good, its just the other two...geez.!!! I'll see how tomorrow goes and the carseat check goes and then decided from there.

HEVY

I hope offenses are not taken when I say this, but I think SOME ppl, as in this case, think once they get thier cert that they KNOW everything. They feel that we as the "general public" have no clue. I hope you do report them and I hope SafeKids actually does something about it. And I really hope my instructor does not have that "lack of knowledge".

waterbaby

WOW!!! Good for you for documenting all this... I ditto contacting Safe Kids. How many other classes have they taught providing misinformation and using what seem to be instructors that are just not qualified?!?! My instructors all had years and years and years of experience doing this stuff - they were dead on with all of their information.

courtfrog2

That's very sad. I got certified last June and parts of the class I felt the same way. That I could have taught the class. We did have some great instructors though. They don't "study" the seats like I do before seat checks :). On a side note... that's one thing I hate about seat checks. They do not stress enough how important it is to rear face and have the harness longer. I usually educate the people, but the head checker doesn't do it enough. Although I am constantly emailing her about things I hear about seats!

One thing that could cause this is maybe lots of the techs (not all of course) do not have any kids in carseats anymore and were certified years and years ago. Who knows?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
1. :thumbsdown:

2. :eek:

3. it's one thing to say that it's acceptable (ahem: preferable) to educate the caregivers that a HWH seat would better meet safest practice, but that during a seatcheck the best you can do at that moment is to (hopefully temporarily) put the child in booster mode with ALR engaged (if possible) because the kid needs to leave safer than s/he arrives -- it's something else not to even mention any of that...

4. Well, you're right, but see above :eek:

5. again, she was wrong, you are correct *SIGH*

6. the Evenflo Rightfit & Recaro Start (?) don't expire :twocents: Boycotting boosters that have expiration, eh? :dizzy:

I wonder if the limited classtime is too stressful for them to effectively answer such excellent questions :confused:
Regardless, please do continue taking notes on the misinformation. They are supposed to stick to the curriculum, not preach personal oppinion :mad:

Shanora

I hope offenses are not taken when I say this, but I think SOME ppl, as in this case, think once they get thier cert that they KNOW everything.

Hmmm sounds like the lady who works at the car seat section in Toys R Us....but thats a whole other post.

Hopefully you'll be able to use your knowledge from here and from your course so that you can safely send off people with a guilt free conscience tomorrow.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am so sorry your Instructors are not all on the same page. It is really very sad. I agree with reprting the course to SK or at least the 2 instructors. However, they may decide that they will not approve certification for the members of the class.

They have serious issues. I will bet they did very little prep for the course.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you!! I know you know your stuff, but it is sad the others in the class are being misinformed and do not know better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC