Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG!!!

Unhappy OMG!!!

I think I'm going to be sick! Litterally!

Today I took my 2 DD's and my only daytime daycare kid to a valentines day party a friend was having. While there, I had put DD2 in her SS1 to take her nap. When we left, I just snapped her carseat into the base in the car. Then on the way home we stopped at walmart. I got one of those carts that's a car so the older 2 could play. I put the SS1 on the top part and was buckling it to the cart with the buckle I bring. To thread the buckle strap through the seatbelt hooks, I lifted up DD's blankets. SHE WASN'T EVEN BUCKLED IN!!! We drove for 20 minutes on a major highway, and she wasn't even buckled in! My heart skipped a beat and I got light headed! OMG, to think what could have happened! I cannot believe I did that! She had been asleep for a good 45mins before we left the party, so the fact that I hadn't buckled her in wasn't even on my mind. And I had the canopy in front of her to block the light and she was covered with blankets. I just can't believe it. Someone call CPS! (not really, but that's how bad I feel!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: OMG!!!

It's okay... breathe...

I've done this as well (and I'm a tech!)... only it was just across a parking lot. We all forget and can have instances like this.

The baby is okay and nothing bad happened... you won't be doing this again for a looonnnngg time.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Senior Community Member mommy2env's Avatar

Your human.

It happens to the best of us.

DD1~14yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~8 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey
    DS~3 yrs old Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake
    DD3~ 10 weeks in a Chicco Keyfit

Carseat Crazy

Yup, happens.

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

You take a buckle with you into the store?! Wow, you're truly dedicated. Kudos.

I had a bad thing happen today too with my daycare!
    We FINALLY were able to go to story hour today! Yeah! Anyway, had a rough time walking there, had to stop and put air in the Valco's tires, then there was a wall of snow on the sidewalk, next to a busy road. So, we get there just in time for the Color wall, and good bye song. Afterwards we play. My 18mo dcb has a really hard time adjusting to new environments and people, so he was glued to me or crying. He made it out of the library and into the parking lot in the 20sec I was talking to the story hour teacher. A man that had just left SH with his kids brought him in, I didn't even know he was gone. I feel awful lousy.They had used the automatic doors and he just followed them out....So, you are not alone in your mistake today, I am equally guilty.
    Tara~rearfacingrocks.webs.com
    Emily
    Elliot~7-22-09~4.5Yo,34lbs,38"
    ERF~Zebra BV70

I've done it too. Maybe even twice.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

CPS Fanatic

my wife did it once, too... only from our house to the store, about 5 blocks. she was also in shock afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyInMyHeart View Post
    Someone call CPS!
    do you realize that's like running into the police station and yelling "someone call the police!"?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston
    do you realize that's like running into the police station and yelling "someone call the police!"?
    I think she means Child Protective Services.

Quote Originally Posted by Botzi View Post
    I think she means Child Protective Services.

Well I feel better now since I'm not the only one! Thanks guys, I don't feel like the worst mother ever now! Lol! It's a shame people do this everyday, on purpose, and think their babies are safe

Carseat Crazy

Don't be too hard on yourself! It looks like a lot of us have done this. I actually went through this two days ago and I felt terrible. Luckily my 3 year old yelled "Mommy I'm not buckled in, you can't go!!" right after I put the truck in gear. He of course went on to tell everyone he saw that day that I forgot to buckle him in, but no one really seemed to know what he was talking about .

Quote Originally Posted by murphydog77 View Post
    You take a buckle with you into the store?! Wow, you're truly dedicated. Kudos.
    Well I use it when I get the car basket. It holds 2 older kids inside the car, but then there's no place to safely put an infant seat. So I put it on the top grocery spot, where it doesn't rock because it's just the right amount of space to support it. Honestly it's secure enough that I probably don't need the strap, but she's so high up that it scares me to not use it. The strap is a strap that came with our booster feeding chair, the strap that attaches it to the adult chair. I put it through the belt guides and buckle it around the metal bars on the shopping cart. When I use a regular shopping cart I put her in the bottom basket part, so no need for the buckle.

I'm very confused. What buckle exactly are you talking about?
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    I'm very confused. What buckle exactly are you talking about?
    I think she is using a nylon strap with a plastic buckle to secure the seat to the grocery cart as an added precaution.

Great idea, IMO!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MommyInMyHeart View Post
    It holds 2 older kids inside the car, . . .
    a strap that came with our booster feeding chair

The car she's talking about is the shopping cart. You can get ones at Safeway that have a driver's/passenger's little car in the front and then the shopping basket behind it with a higher up basket that would hold an infant carrier.

They are total beasts to drive around the grocery store, but they keep the kids occupied.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
    The car she's talking about is the shopping cart.
    Aha. Interesante. Gracias

Aha. Interesante. Gracias
    So, spanish is going good?
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

LMBO -- my friend's landlord left the wireless cable plugged in for a change -- I'm alternating between here & my online workbook assignments

CPS Fanatic

I did that with DS#1. I went to the mall with my mom, he was about 4 months old and came home. DH went to get him out and lifted the blanket and looked at me in horror! I was like what, then he said "he isn't buckled." I just burst in to tears.
    I find this happens a lot, especially in winter, as we worry about keeping them warm and don't think to check their buckles. After that incident I never put my kids in their infant seat unless they were buckled in.
    Don't beat yourself up too bad.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight