These cannot be car seats?!?!

Baileybb

These are my friend's daughters (yes, I got permission to post).
Are those car seats that they are in? I didn't want to ask and insult. The girls are 4 years old now.

20gjv4p.jpg

ADS

kae

HI, new to the forum.
Those are car seats, they are Cosco Arriva's. I've actually used one in the past, they don't have bases.

Baileybb

Wow! They look like little chairs! I hope my friend wasn't about to take them into the car....they don't look too strapped in.
And, Welcome!:)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yes, they are... the straps are *much* too loose and the chest clip is done up improperly and needs to be at armpit level.

Beautiful eyes on both of the girls! :)

ETA: Those seats are still given out in some hospitals as the "freebies" for babies that need a seat... only they are navy blue now. ;)

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Those are indeed car seats. They're Cosco Arrivas, first made in 1995 and still currently made for institutional programs. They're available in both a 3 pt and 5 pt versions (no front adjusters). A separate base was available, although I don't believe the new ones come with one. The seats have even come w/ a LATCH strap for use w/o the base since 2002.

ThreeBeans

Whoa, those gals are WICKED identical, aren't they? LOL

Beautiful babies. But the harnesses make me want to cry. :p

Baileybb

The straps make me cringe, too!! You know what? I never noticed/paid attention to how my friends strapped in their kids until I came to this site. Now, that's all I see!!!
Another question- is it alright to have toys hanging from the car seat handles while in the moving car?

Thanks everyone! They are darling, aren't they? Here's a more recent picture:
2qvz6t3.jpg

RubysGirl

Nope.

First off with that seat the handle must be down in the car, and secondly, well if it's close enough for the baby to reach, it's close enough to hit the baby or become detatched and hit the baby in an accident.

JessicaS

Those girls are gorgeous!!

Oh and I know what you mean about noticing how everyones kids are strapped in now. It's the first thing I notice, instead of the baby they're trying to show me. :rolleyes: But yeah, those straps are way too loose. Maybe they kept them really tight in the car, and then loosened them when they got out, thinking they were uncomfortable. ;)

Dawn

We had one for Liz who is now 12 1/2. Her's came with the base but we didn't use it. Bases didn't have much in the way of a good safety track at that point.

TerisBoys

We had one for Liz who is now 12 1/2. Her's came with the base but we didn't use it. Bases didn't have much in the way of a good safety track at that point.

If I remember right, the Arriva base was poorly designed and didn't install well. But yeah - I agree...11-12 years ago bases were a new thing and had a tendancy to fail.

That and the canopy being attached to the handle made for frequent misuse.

About it's only redeeming feature was it's 22# weight limit - but babies outgrew it by height earlier than that.

Stretchy Glue

I found one of those at a thrift shop recently and there are a few things I've noticed about it that cause for frequent misuse. One is the way it is tightened, from the back, with one of those double back type rings that NEVER get done! Another thing I've noticed is the bottom slot is about 9-10 inches, meaning very few newborns can fit in its. Also, where the harness buckles is SO FAR from the baby that there could be as much as 2 inches between the harness and the baby at times. Also, the only true contact spot for the harness would be right at the shoulder.

I've fiddled with a base for one of these once, and it is a real pain. To get the seat off of it, you had to push both yellow buttons at the same time and lift.

It is really light weight, though, compared to some.

IsasMom

The straps make me cringe, too!! You know what? I never noticed/paid attention to how my friends strapped in their kids until I came to this site. Now, that's all I see!!!
Another question- is it alright to have toys hanging from the car seat handles while in the moving car?

Usually not. Some seats require the handle be down, others OK having the handle up. Even then, it's usually best to leave the toys off. Graco (I think) is or has crash tested some toys recently and are OK ith their seats. Honestly, I can never remember all the handle rules... when I have to check or install an infant seat I read the manual ith the parents and point out the right paragraphs. Covers up my ignorance and teaches them better, LOL. At the least, peek at their stickers ;)

Mama!

My dd came home in a seat similar to that. Same yellow button on that side, but ours had a base. It was an Eddie Bauer bug print with an adorable little boot that went on it. I loved that seat.

mish

I had a cosco turnabout for my seven year old that I think is basically this seat with a turning handle. It had a base, but it was miserable. Like someone else said, you had to push both buttons. It seemed like you had to push them just right to get them to work. There were many times I left it in the car and just took DS out of it. It did not get used as a carrier often. Now I look back and I can't believe I considered that seat to be safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC