What was the first ever car seat you bought?

Even before you had your own children, or for someone else.

The first ever seat I got was a a GM love seat - made by Century for General motors, it looked like this:
Jan1007521.jpg

For infants to I believe 8kgs (17.6lb). I got it around 1992.

Then I was given a kolcraft rock-n-ride.

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
The first seat I bought was for my nephew who was born when I was 17. It was a Gerry Guardian T-Shield. He rode home from the hospital flat on his back as his parents did not know how to install. Thankfully I was around the next day and fixed it for them.

The first seat I bought for my own was the Gerry Guard with Glide infant seat. Other than having to buckle it in every time (no base), I loved that seat!

Renee

TXAggieTech

My 'first' was a Fisher Price Overhead Shield that I bought from a friend of a friend used before we started fostering. It matched our interior and I really liked the cover.

It barely got used before I went to my first check. I was so tired that I don't remember if it was in correct or not before the check. I know it was tight but other than that who knows!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
This Sit'n'Stroll, from a second-hand store, at the amazing bargain price of $20!
94Thomas2.jpg

(I hated that freaking thing from the first time we used it. It was perfect for ds's colic, though, and that's about all it got used for. Better than a stroller for tipping back onto the rear wheels and pushing back and forth while sitting on the couch trying to doze!)

This was a third-hand seat from our neighbor, got it at the same time as the first. (It had "EMMA ROSE" printed in huge letters on the base - the woman who gave it to me had a son, and he was definitely not named Emma.) It turned into a glider when not used as a carseat. It was actually pretty cool, except for the 3-pt harness:
96Sam2.jpg

First one I bought brand-new?
94Thomas1.jpg

Holly

I've never bought a car seat for anyone else, and my dd#1's infant seat was a hand me down from my sil, it was an Evenflo something or otehr, and it was the denim print, she got it for her dd#1 who is 3 1/2 years older than mine, so the seat was not expired yet when I used it.

The first seat I myself bought, was a grey graco comfort sport that I used to replace my sil's evenflo infant seat. Bought in January 2006.
The next seat I got was my dd#2's Graco Snugride.

natysr

I honestly do not remember what it was. It was about 7 years ago. Back then, I thought all carseats were created equal. I purchased a travel system for my cousin. I know it was $99.

AllieCanada

I used to buy second hand seats for my dolls when I was little. I had one that looked like this (top left corner on page 5 http://carseat.org/Pictorial/1-RF-Infant-np.pdf)

The first seat I bought and actually used was DS's snugride that was part of the Quattro Tour travel system in 2005

NZ Child Restraints: I think that was the seat my parents had for me when I was a baby or at least it was something similar. I'll see if I can find a picture of my seats. I know my parents had a rear facing and a forward facing seat for me. The forward facing one even had a nice aftermarket cover on it :rolleyes:

wildeyes

i bought a travel system for dd1 on clearance at k-mart. it was 60 bucks. it came with an evenflo discovery. i still have the carseat and actually use the stroller. the expired carseat comes in handy for a chair for dd2 in other ppl's homes. i dont use it in the car. and i hate the stroller. the second seat i got her was an AOE. i just yesterday stole it out of my moms car and cut the straps. it expired this month, and she used it for my niece after i told her not to. so i took it and cut the straps and trashed the cover. now she has the turbobooster and apex, and 2 cosco protek boosters.

skaterbabs

CJ's first seat was an Evenflo infant seat, it was one of the first ones with a base and the funny Evenflo handle. We though it would make it easier to carry. Um...no.

amy919

First seat I ever received was the Evenflo Portabout 5, wcich was part of the travel system at my baby shower. I hated it from the start. I also got a ComfortSport at the same time.

First seat I actually purchased was another ComfortSport for my in-laws car.

First seat I actually purchased for my own car was a CarGo.

Simplysomething

First seat was ds1's century grow with me (or something like that), OHS.

Got an infant seat soon after. Cosco something, and hated that got a Graco something.

Used the OHS convertible until he was 3. Blargh.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I can't remember which one I bought first while pregnant with DD1. It was either a Cosco Touriva 5-point or an Evenflo On My Way Position Right V infant seat (part of a travel system).

ZephyrBlue

I bought several seats for my baby dolls (or rather, grandma bought them!) but the first one I purchased myself was a Century SmartFit 5pt for DD, who was born in 2000.

melniemi

The first seat I bought was a Graco Snugride Travel System. I chose the seat by picking the stroller. I wanted big wheels for gravel roads and going to the beach and stuff. The carseat that came with it was a 3 pt:eek: And I used it for my first 3 kids. Always tight straps and properly installed, but a 3 pt non-the-less! I almost exchanged it for a travel system that had a 5 pt, but I didn't like the stroller as much, wheels too small:rolleyes: I was 19 and well, lol.

daycaremom2002

The first seat I bought was a second hand Century infant seat with a base. Very similar to the one on page 7 second one on top row of the pictorial

It had a cloth cover thought and a sunshade. It was only a year or so old when I bought it. This was for my DD (14yo now)

mamaofthree

I've never bought a seat for anyone else, but my first carseat was a shower gift- a Graco Snugride in the French Bear print. That seat had no padding, no wonder dd screamed in the car all the time! After that I bought a Fisher Price Safe Embrace convertible on clearance for $40 at Walmart because they were discontinued. I had seen it was recommended on CR, so I thought I hit the jackpot. While I'm sure it was a safe seat, it sucked. Again, lack of padding, cheap cotton cover that faded horribly, and installed too upright so dd's head always hung funny when she slept. So I moved her to a booster WAY too early. I have since been educated.

Kimberly

Suzibeck

My first was a Strolee Wee Care, it was blue vinyl with some white pattern on it, can't remember what. I bought it to use with my godson and niece and nephew and it was quickly followed by an Evenflo infant seat with a blue striped cloth cover. It was the pre-carry handle kind of seat on a metal frame. I ended up buying my godson's mother a Gerry seat with a T-shield because she couldn't seem to use any other kind correctly. His straps were still terribly loose, lucky she never got in a wreck with him!

Midwife@heart

The first carseat I ever bought was for my oldest son. His first infant carseat was new, a gift at a baby shower. His first convertible was free by the county. Then I bought the Cosco Summit.

In the pic he is w/ his sister in his father's car (not my dd). Wow, his straps are loose and way below his shoulders.

myfamily2-1.jpg

mcomommy

A Graco Travel system (I paid 180 on sale). It was a nice seat, 5pt harness and everything. I loaned to a friend and the cover got ruined though. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC