Carseats after Crashes - QUICK!!

Tiffany_MommyOf3

Okay, my mom was in a crash this morning in her Jeep Wrangler and had 1 carseat in the car. It was installed with LATCH in the backseat. Its a Britax Decathalon if that makes any difference. I know the seatbelt she was wearing and the LATCH need to be replaced BUT does the carseat need to be replaced? No child was in it. My thought was that since the carseat was buckled in, it needs to be replaced. Or is it only when there is a child in the seat that it needs to be replaced?

A lady was pulling out of a fast food parking lot and hauled butt into moms lane and so basically it was moms front right bumper and the other ladys front left. Mom was going about 45 or so.

Thanks In Advance!

ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is something from the Britax site:

Q: What should I do with my child restraint that's been involved in a crash?

A: Britax recommends that use of a child restraint be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child restraint.

If your Britax child restraint has been involved in a severe crash, it may be eligible for consideration for a new one of the same or similar design. See the Voluntary Crashed Restraint Exchange section of our website for more details.

MomToEliEm

The seatbelt your mother was using and latch may not need to be replaced. Whoever fixes your car should have instruments which will tell them if the seatbelts or latch actually have to be replaced. Sometimes they do and sometimes they do not.

BTW - I hope you mother wasn't injured too badly in the accident.

Tiffany_MommyOf3

Thanks! The car wasnt really damaged too badly but was not able to be driven away but only because the wheel was shifted in the wheel base and the steering wheel would not turn because the tire would get stuck by the wheel base?!? something like that..

Thankfully, mom wasnt hurt.. just shaken up a bit and weak in the knees lol. but no injuries

MomToEliEm

Thanks! The car wasnt really damaged too badly but was not able to be driven away but only because the wheel was shifted in the wheel base and the steering wheel would not turn because the tire would get stuck by the wheel base?!? something like that..

Thankfully, mom wasnt hurt.. just shaken up a bit and weak in the knees lol. but no injuries

Then the seat needs to be replaced since it does not meat the "minor accident" criteria stated by Britax.

Make sure her insurance knows that she had a carseat so they will replace it as part of the claim. If they give her any issues with the replacement, tell them she wants a letter stating that they accept full liability should the seat fail later in an accident due to stress caused by this accident.

Tiffany_MommyOf3

Yeah we are going to replace the seat now definently. Regardless of whether insurance pays or not lol. but Im sure they will pay.. She has Geico and has had them like 20 years or something? lol.. and has never had any issues with them so Im sure they will pay for it.

Thanks!

jrar8699

I had no clue :confused:that you could claim a car seat replacement in an accident if they were in the car... good to know thanks for the info. Glad everyone is ok. Again thanks for the info and good to know incase we have future accidents!

mom2riley

I had no clue :confused:that you could claim a car seat replacement in an accident if they were in the car... good to know thanks for the info. Glad everyone is ok. Again thanks for the info and good to know incase we have future accidents!

totally OT, but your 1yr old is in a Regent?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Yeah we are going to replace the seat now definently. Regardless of whether insurance pays or not lol. but Im sure they will pay.. She has Geico and has had them like 20 years or something? lol.. and has never had any issues with them so Im sure they will pay for it.

Thanks!

We have Geico and they were great about replacing our seats after we got rearended. They had me go buy new seats and bring them the reciepts and then they cut me a check the same day at one of their local offices.

jrar8699

totally OT, but your 1yr old is in a Regent?

Ok call me dumb but what does OT mean? And my 1YO is actually 16 mo I was told that he was supposed to be turned around at 1 YO and 20lbs. So that is what I did. He reached 20lbs way before 1 yr but I waited till he was a yr to switch him. Even the regents say it is for him. I am confused???:confused: I also haven't seen RF seats for over like 22 lbs???

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
And my 1YO is actually 16 mo I was told that he was supposed to be turned around at 1 YO and 20lbs. So that is what I did. He reached 20lbs way before 1 yr but I waited till he was a yr to switch him.

You don't have to turn a child around until he outgrows the seat by either height or weight (whichever comes first).

The height guideline in the manual is just a guideline. You actually go by when there is less than one inch or hard shell above the child's head OR when his head is even with the top of the shell (BASED ON WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS!).

It is actually safest to keep children rear-facing as long as possible. You will see many photos here of children who are two, three, four, or five years old still rear-facing. :)

Check out this link: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx :)

I also haven't seen RF seats for over like 22 lbs???

You won't find very many INFANT-ONLY seats that RF over 22 pounds (there are a few, but not many). All convertibles currently sold in the United States RF to at least 30 pounds. Most RF to 33 or 35 pounds. :)

Many convertibles are plenty tall enough to allow a child to RF until he is at least two years old. :)

keri1292

What is the weight of your youngest?

You can see my 3½ and 4 (at that time) year olds RFing in my siggy. Even at 4, my son barely fits in the Regent. The straps are just a bit too high for my comfort.

jacksmon05

We are in the same boat except I had 2 toddlers in the car. The insuarance company said because the kids were in the car they should be replaced. But, getting them to pay is another story.
Britax will exchange your seat if their guidlines are met- which somebody already posted.
Cris

mommy2env

I know that it has been mentioned before. Sorry for beating a dead horse, but it has been bothering me. :eek:

I have a 17 month old who is pretty big, and chuncky. She is dwarfed by the regent. I have tried it, because I own one. I would never consider putting her in one for a car ride.

Please take our recommendations. Your son is safer in a rear facing convertible. :twocents:

Momto1bigkiddo

And my 1YO is actually 16 mo I was told that he was supposed to be turned around at 1 YO and 20lbs. So that is what I did. He reached 20lbs way before 1 yr but I waited till he was a yr to switch him. Even the regents say it is for him. I am confused???:confused: I also haven't seen RF seats for over like 22 lbs???

You're in the right place! :thumbsup: You have many options to RF your 16 month old. Some seats can RF to 35 lbs. What does kiddo weigh??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC